• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Thermal paste whats the "right" way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yaiie

There's a ton of debate online about how to apply thermal paste and how my much... What way would you recommend to be most efficient? I replaced the stock intel cooler with a thermaltake spinq vt and will be using arctic silver for the paste.

Most people seem to do the "pea size" drop in the middle?

I usually have good luck using an approximately 5mm long thin line but this depends on the heatsink I'm using.

I use the tedious route of "tinting" both surfaces, then using a single drop the size of a grain of rice in the middle when done. I don't go as far as removing the initial coating with a cloth; rather I drag a razor blade across the surface until nothing else can be removed. Always turns out pretty well (so far)...

If you can't trust yourself with sharp objects, you can always dull the edge first by dragging it straight across a sharpening stone.... the main thing is just that it's a handy perfect edge that's rigid and the right size for a CPU.

Seriously though, man up! One of my personal missions is to get everyone to start shaving with good old double-edge razors instead of this cartridge nonsense. After seeing a Feather blade up close, the utility razors you have around the garage seem like butter knives. :D

Seriously though, man up! One of my personal missions is to get everyone to start shaving with good old double-edge razors instead of this cartridge nonsense. After seeing a Feather blade up close, the utility razors you have around the garage seem like butter knives.
Taking into consideration that I shave my head, there is no shot I'm using a double edge razor! I'm dangerous enough with my fusion.

It's all perception- I have super curly hair and couldn't help but cut myself up with all the regular options (mach 3, fusion, pro-glide) or even electrics. Learn the proper feel with a DE and you literally can't cut yourself. Use it to square off the back of my neck without a mirror after I buzz my hair. You'll thank me. :p

Taking it full-circle back to computers- there is no such thing as too fast, too loud, or too sharp in life. :D

Back