• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright AX-478 Fan Mounting Question....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDGuy

This may be a dumb question, I've been full of those lately. I just got an AX-478 and it came with 8 screws and 4 rubber washers? Does the fan just mount directly on top of the HS or do you put the rubber washers between the fan and the heatsink? Why 8 screws?

Also, I've read the thread about poor performance due to a bad solder job. I'll keep an eye on this and see how mine does. Hopefully I won't have any problems. I ordered mine from the Heatsink Factory last Wednesday.

Thanks in advance,

Please keep us updated on your results. My results were not very good at all. I returned it and ordered an Alpha 8942.

You picked the right store. The HeatSink Factory seems to be a top notch outfit.

Update

Well, it looks like I got a good version of the AX-478.

I got the PC built, it's a 1.8A with the following code:
SL63X
3206A544-0111

I used Artic Silver III between the heat sink and CPU.

It's currently running at 2.4Ghz (18x133) stock voltage (1.5V) on a P4S533 with 256MB of Crucial PC2700 DDR.

Temps are as follows:
Room temp: 25C (78 F)
CPU Idle Temp: 33C
CPU Max Load Temp: 43C (Prime 95 for 12 hours)
Ambient: 34C

The system has 1 80mm fan drawing air in at the front and 1 80mm fan exhausting at the rear + the power supply exhausting.

This system is for my parents. They'll be thrilled with 2.4Ghz, but since it got there so easily, I'm curious as to how high it will go. I may try for a little more to see.

Back