• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SLK 947U normal temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOneKenobi

Yesterday evening and night, I installed my first ever better-than-stock cooler. It was an SLK 947U. The current readings of temperature tend to say:

Sys 36C
CPU 46C
PWM 36C

Now, sys shows iprovement if not by very far. I was able to feel the airflow even on an open case. The powerful 8*8 fan on the CPU heatsink probably helps, as well as a recycled "new" 6*6 low-rotation sysfan (by low I mean around 700 and it has a barely noticeable flow, but hey, it was recycled).

PWM shows drastic improvement compared to before - this may be due to the fact I applied Arctic Silver 5 before putting the cooler back after cleaning it a bit.

It's my impression that CPU temp should be much lower. After all, my Celeron 2.4 GHz on the same Northwood core, with stock Intel box cooling, scored around 40 in idle and not really more than 54 in high high stress. So I'm a bit disappointed. I know that 2.6c will emit more heat than 2.4 C-elereon, but still. It's over half a kilo of copper plus liquid silver in between it and the CPU. Also, the Celeron and the box cooler worked without paste. There were some remnants but it was removed a couple of times for cleaning and all and paste wasn't applied because I had none. So now I use half a kilo of copper from Thermalright along with one of the best pastes ever, 99% silver and all, and I get worse temps on a slighty sweatier processor? :S

So, am I right or am I not? Is it possible that I applied too much paste? They said on the CPU and on the heatsink base, which I did... They say this cooler can cool a heavily overclocked Barton to 50 degrees, so maybe I did something wrong.

I would test it, but I don't have much more of the good paste and can't get more until next weekend - and promised my friend some for his proc, so I'd rather not use it for experimentation. Please don't feel offended by my not finding out on my own instead of asking. ;)

Last edited:
NewbieOneKenobi said:
Yesterday evening and night, I installed my first ever better-than-stock cooler. It was an SLK 947U. The current readings of temperature tend to say:

Sys 36C
CPU 46C
PWM 36C

Now, sys shows iprovement if not by very far. I was able to feel the airflow even on an open case. The powerful 8*8 fan on the CPU heatsink probably helps, as well as a recycled "new" 6*6 low-rotation sysfan (by low I mean around 700 and it has a barely noticeable flow, but hey, it was recycled).

PWM shows drastic improvement compared to before - this may be due to the fact I applied Arctic Silver 5 before putting the cooler back after cleaning it a bit.

It's my impression that CPU temp should be much lower. After all, my Celeron 2.4 GHz on the same Northwood core, with stock Intel box cooling, scored around 40 in idle and not really more than 54 in high high stress. So I'm a bit disappointed. I know that 2.6c will emit more heat than 2.4 C-elereon, but still. It's over half a kilo of copper plus liquid silver in between it and the CPU. Also, the Celeron and the box cooler worked without paste. There were some remnants but it was removed a couple of times for cleaning and all and paste wasn't applied because I had none. So now I use half a kilo of copper from Thermalright along with one of the best pastes ever, 99% silver and all, and I get worse temps on a slighty sweatier processor? :S

So, am I right or am I not? Is it possible that I applied too much paste? They said on the CPU and on the heatsink base, which I did... They say this cooler can cool a heavily overclocked Barton to 50 degrees, so maybe I did something wrong.

I would test it, but I don't have much more of the good paste and can't get more until next weekend - and promised my friend some for his proc, so I'd rather not use it for experimentation. Please don't feel offended by my not finding out on my own instead of asking. ;)

The heatsinks work best with high pressure fans like the 92mmx38 and 92mmX32. Also with the 2.6C you should put a drop of AS5 about the size of a grain of rice in the middle of the heatspreader. Use non on the heatsink then install the heatsink. I used one of these with a tornado on a mobile barton at 2.7G 2.0V and it ran at 51C under full load.

Last edited:
My fan is a high-rotation high-power 80*80 one blowing down there. Should I flip it over and see or is it the question of size or...?

Okay, I'll see how it does with less paste...

Took less paste this time and there is improvement, but only by several degrees. It's 39 degrees while surfing and it was 35 when turning on, although it went up to 39 in BIOS alone (watching health settings for a while). I have some Zalman Thermal Grease here apart from Arctic Silver. Should I use it instead?

Looks quite potent. Will see what they have on auctions (the only real way it pays to buy hardware in Poland - and especially cooling stuff or small technical devices). Alternatively, I can go to the closest computer bazaar and test fans there. The vendor has some mindblowers, but his prices are like twice normal and he has no idea about CFM or dba. Any suggestions about such testing? Should it be able to blow my glasses away or just send my hair upstairs?

BTW, after reapplication of paste, I seem to be getting 10 degrees less per average. A lesson to be remembered. Grain of rice...

the local place.. Id look for 92mmX38mm and somewere around .35 to .40 12V amps.

Since he runs them.. if you find more then one that is similar to this discription have him run them to listen to wich one has the least annoying noise.

Thanks. The kind of advice I was looking for. :)

Now sorry to jump to another question, but how much can I afford in terms of power with a 350W Codegen PSU with the config in my signature? And, since I'll be getting some serious fans for the other places in the box (I particularly consider a channel of two high-circulation 120 mm fans in the 5.25 bays, or at least one), what's the highest CFM I can have without damaging any hardware and how does it translate into organoleptic terms? I don't want to damage RAM chips for instance. If I can't stand it on my face from 20 cm, will it damage the RAM that's 10-20 cm away?

post the quesiton about that PSU in the cases and power supplies fourm, I don't know anything about that brand and we have a few members that know there PSU's pretty good that read pretty much that fourm exclusivly.

The UL number on it can sometimes turn up the OEM however..
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.htm
enter the number under the symbol that looks like a backward R with a L right up against it in the UL File Number feild then search.
advertized amps on each rail info would help as well.

Back