• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermo-electric cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used one of these recently for our benching team's 3450 contest. It does work and I did get improved results when cooling that small gpu. It worked well and I seemed to get results better than most air cooled results. It was a fun experiment.

Here is a picture:
IMAG1329.jpg

How did you rig it up super? did you just plug it into the 12v rail on the psu with a molex, or did you use a seperate psu for it?, i have one and have never used it yet and thought about rigging it up just to test it out and see how it performs compared to high end air alone.

I just pushed the wires into the 6pin gpu plug. It is only a 75w pelt. 1000w psu. Temps would swing about 10c, but it would go cold enough to get frost on it when idle.

Cool. I think I will just bang a molex connector on it and run it off my main psu, its a 140w pelt so may draw a bit of power, but I'm not 100% sure how to fire up a second psu without it being plugged into a mobo (noob)

I did put a copper plate between the core and the pelt. To kind of spread out the heat. I also used a waterblock that covered the whole other side.

I may play at the weekend with a low power CPU, maybe sempy 145 or something like that and see if it is any good, I've run the 145 cold already so that wont gain me no boints so maybe a AM2 chip that's low power if I can find one..... Speaking of AM2, are you still doing that AM2 comp super ?

Just use your main PSU. The days of pelts overloading 24/7 PSUs are long over. The only reason to have a dedicated PSU now is if you want to run the pelt at 15v or 24v.

Ok then, I will run it off my benching psu (700w seasonic) and see how we get on, it should be good for a low draw CPU, its gotta be better than ambient anyway, the only thing is I only have a TT Frio to cool the hot side, I hope it's good enough :shrug:

Back