• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think I woofed my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thick8

I'm soooooo bummed.

I hooked up my water chiller system today. Ran my system at 4.8 Ghz to make sure everything was working fine. Did a stress test and my CPU never went over 24c. Yea!!! Then when I clocked it back up to my normal 5 Ghz the system seemed to boot but nothing displayed on the monitor. It was then I realized that I set the wrong frequency. I had set it to 240 Mhz instead of 238Mhz. So I reset the CMOS and tried again. But the VGA fault light stays illuminated. I tried both vid cards in all 4 PCI-e slots but it's still not working. I'm wondering if the problem is more likely the mainboard or CPU. Any Ideas?

John

Take it off the chiller, let it warm up and dry out, and try it again.

Id be surprised if you "woofed" a Fx 8350 they're pretty tough Cpu's. Make sure you didn't have any condensation anywhere and as Scotty suggested let it warm up and dry off if it's wet.

Whew. I had an old PCI vid card in the attic. I was able to start it with that installed and reset the BIOS back to default. Funny thing is I thought resetting the CMOS would have done that. Got it back up to 5 Ghz at a lower voltage (1.475) and ran small fft tests. Never got above 38c. Trying to decide if I should do a chilled oil PC or get VGA blocks and insulate everything.
Thanks for the input guys. I'll let you know how it goes.
John

Whew. I had an old PCI vid card in the attic. I was able to start it with that installed and reset the BIOS back to default. Funny thing is I thought resetting the CMOS would have done that. Got it back up to 5 Ghz at a lower voltage (1.475) and ran small fft tests. Never got above 38c. Trying to decide if I should do a chilled oil PC or get VGA blocks and insulate everything.
Thanks for the input guys. I'll let you know how it goes.
John
Glad it's up and running.

Sub ambient cooling without protection is Russian roulette. Sooner or later you'll lose.

Hopefully he posts back with some pictures of this chiller!! I'm interested in eye candies on this. 38c is darn good temps.

and insulate everything.

Indeed! The very least petroleum jellys works great. Use heavily on anything and everything you think cold may encounter. Additional insulation is not always required but does help keep frosting away.

But, I'd like to see much higher than 5ghz IMO. People do that on straight liquid, I mean 4.8 - 5ghz overclocks daily. I'd hope with a chiller to exceed 5200mhz, keep core and cpu temps at or below 50c. you should have no issues from what I can tell so far.....

GLHF!!!!

Hopefully he posts back with some pictures of this chiller!! I'm interested in eye candies on this. 38c is darn good temps.

Indeed! The very least petroleum jellys works great. Use heavily on anything and everything you think cold may encounter. Additional insulation is not always required but does help keep frosting away.

But, I'd like to see much higher than 5ghz IMO. People do that on straight liquid, I mean 4.8 - 5ghz overclocks daily. I'd hope with a chiller to exceed 5200mhz, keep core and cpu temps at or below 50c. you should have no issues from what I can tell so far.....

GLHF!!!!

I have a GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev 3.0 with FX-8350 and max it gets to with Prime 95 is 33c and that's using a CoolerMaster V6GT. But then I'm not overclocking.
DSCN0386.JPG

That was my first impression too. The chilled water attracts moisture when parts get cold. The back of the motherboard where all the little SMDs are behind the CPU should be sealed with vaseline/ nailpolish or similar that will keep the water off. Yours almost sounded to me like water in the socket(been there). I uses a piece of foam under my water block that seals the socket area so that air can't get to the bottom of the block. It's cold and the water will run right into the CPU socket. I also wrap the top of the block with a cloth to keep air off of it and soak up any moisture that may appear. Here's a pic of my setup. Notice the hoses are also insulated.

P1210892.JPG

Nice Dozer man. Is this a midlife crisis or something?? Most of us just get a sports car !

Nice Dozer man. Is this a midlife crisis or something?? Most of us just get a sports car !

Wish my age was such that my issues could be defined anywhere near a middle of life crisis. Hehehe.

It seemed my DOA Excavator thingie was less liked than previous bulldozer with the light bulb of an idea driver. Could not find bulldozer image to put back after telling forum to make change...so got something with a little movement to the avatar.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Looks good man.
@scotty, I grew up on a farm and always thought I should have went into heavy machinery. Just looks like something that would suit me.

Looks good man.
@Scotty, I grew up on a farm and always thought I should have went into heavy machinery. Just looks like something that would suit me.
In my days of wayward youth, I was sent to work the farms for many summers. That's where I acquired most of my skills and work ethics. Now I manage a construction/landscaping/property maintenance/snow removal company. I wear many hats there. Still hands on on site work too.

*sorry for the OT*
Back to your regularly scheduled program. :)

Back