• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of downgrading my CPU cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Hey all, as you know from my signature and pics I have a VERY large CPU cooler, a Thermalright Silver Arrow. Well, I'm wanting to add more case lighting and some Corsair Dominator ram but I will have to change coolers. I'm wanting to keep this an air cooled CPU, my next build will be water. So, if I put a 212 Evo with 2 fans on it would it make much difference in room? I read about both of these coolers dimensions and I'm just not sure it would be small enough while maintaining a 4.4 oc on my 2600k. This thing is just huge and I'm tired of how loud and ugly it is. Let me know what you guys think and if you have a smaller/better cooler in mind that can maintain atleast a 4.2 oc. Any questions are also welcome. :thup:

Attachments

• IMG_0884small.jpg
    IMG_0884small.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 150
You can easily look up the dimensions at Newegg or the manufacturers website...which you did. Not sure how we can help. You have the setup and info to figure it out, no?

But would a 212 evo or 212 plus be able to keep me at 4.4 oc's? Is that the smallest air cooler you can buy that can do such a job?

That cooler shouldn't be loud. It's at the top of the heap for air cooling right? Your overclock must be pretty hot to need that cooler at high RPMs.

If you drop to a much lesser (but still decent) cooler like the 212 EVO, even with two fan it's not going to perform as well so the fans are going to have to be loud.

You say your willing to drop down the OC to make it work. Maybe that is an option, give it a try with the 212. Maybe going back to stock speeds with the stock cooler will be quiet enough while you install your new ram and wait for watercooling.

More lights? Got a Christmas pageant coming up?

Why do you need pretty ram, isn't it good enough? Honestly, last comment.

Well, it's not loud unless I'm gaming. Honestly, I think I'm just bored with my rig and don't have enough saved up to build a new one yet. Besides Haswell wasn't as fast as I expected.
I'm gonna wait till the next cpu's are on par with the 3970x's. Just kinda wanna try something different, I get bored REALLY easily. Oh, and not only do I want the pretty blue lights in the Corsair Dominator's I also want to go from 1600 to 2133. Maybe I'm just a looney....

Back