• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of Folding,need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd let it run another few WUs and then verify on EOC that you're getting the bonus. You should see a nice gain in points per WU when the bonus starts kicking in. THEN... you can start bigadv.

Make sure you aren't counting the one you deleted. You could look at your hourly stats on EOC and add the -bigadv flag after you're sure you're getting the bonus. You haven't gotten bonus points yet. Or you could add the flag now. If you're early, It'll be 3 days before you earn bonus points. On the other hand, if you're one WU late, it'll only cost you the difference in ppd between the -bigadv and normal smp WU for 6 to 12 hours.

Damn, Harlam beat me!

Hey guys,im working on another machine an Intel core 2 duo.I was going to move the 9800GX2 to that machine under XP,i set flags -gpu 5 -verbosity 9 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 but it says the machine is unstable,I have run LINx and prime,also ran Furmark for the GPU and all is fine..I have read the FAQ section but didn't find anything..This is with both cores gpu 5 and gpu 6..What am i missing here?
BTW I made sure it is GPU2 I downloaded for XP..

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey guys,im working on another machine an Intel core 2 duo.I was going to move the 9800GX2 to that machine under XP,i set flags -gpu 5 -verbosity 9 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 but it says the machine is unstable,I have run LINx and prime,also ran Furmark for the GPU and all is fine..I have read the FAQ section but didn't find anything..This is with both cores gpu 5 and gpu 6..What am i missing here?
BTW I made sure it is GPU2 I downloaded for XP..

Thanks

the gpu flags are per machine basis. If you only have card in the C2D then you don't need flags.(if you have 2 then you need -gpu 0 -gpu 1)

go ahead and force gpu though it might help.

the gpu flags are per machine basis. If you only have card in the C2D then you don't need flags.(if you have 2 then you need -gpu 0 -gpu 1)

go ahead and force gpu though it might help.

Ok ill give that a try..thanks

With the 9800X2 you will need -gpu 0 on the first gpu and -gpu 1 on the second gpu in the configs. You may need -forcegpu nvidia_g80 on the instance running on the gpu without a monitor attached. Latest drivers may have eliminated the need, but that may only be on the GPU3 client. It won't hurt anything to have it on both. You can run the GPU3 client on the 9800 series cards if you want to. You just can't run GPU2 on a fermi. Better PPD is attained on the GPU2 client, for now.

With the 9800X2 you will need -gpu 0 on the first gpu and -gpu 1 on the second gpu in the configs. You may need -forcegpu nvidia_g80 on the instance running on the gpu without a monitor attached. Latest drivers may have eliminated the need, but that may only be on the GPU3 client. It won't hurt anything to have it on both. You can run the GPU3 client on the 9800 series cards if you want to. You just can't run GPU2 on a fermi. Better PPD is attained on the GPU2 client, for now.

This worked but for some reason I got the console setup on one gpu ok but setting up the other with same client it says this GPU is not supported,so I set one up on systray and one console till I have more time to work on it..

Thanks guys..Again:thup:

If it says the card isn't recognized, you may need to extend the desktop on to the 2nd gpu and use the -forcegpu flag. You'd probably get the same message if Windows installed the driver for the card as opposed to a fresh nVidia install of the drivers.

If it says the card isn't recognized, you may need to extend the desktop on to the 2nd gpu and use the -forcegpu flag. You'd probably get the same message if Windows installed the driver for the card as opposed to a fresh nVidia install of the drivers.

I made sure it was a fresh install of the 260.99 drivers,i will try the flag option,but its humming along nicely:)
But im still getting the direct X BSOD with my main rig,very random about once a day it hits..I thought for sure it was having the 9800 in with the 580 that was causing it..Ive done a clean install of the drivers after moving the 9800 to the other computer still does it..

Can anyone tell me how to tell if -bigadv is working?

Thanks..

Can anyone tell me how to tell if -bigadv is working?

Thanks..

Are you using HFM.net or anything else to monitor your client? If you are, it should tell you the project number. (And your PPD should be pretty darn high!)

If not, look for the project number in your fahlog.txt file.

A quick scan of http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html shows that the -bigadv units are:

p2684
p2685
p2686
p2692
p6900

HFM.NET shows PPD about 11000,credit 9293 and project P6040..

Also, don't forget to run through ChasR's BigAdv checklist to be on the safe side. For example, you'll need at least 10 SMP units before you get your bonus.

Edit: The checklist has been added to the super sticky.

Edit2: Also check HFM.net's historical viewer (CTRL+B); you may have already knocked out a BigAdv...

Also, don't forget to run through ChasR's BigAdv checklist to be on the safe side. For example, you'll need at least 10 SMP units before you get your bonus.

Edit: The checklist has been added to the super sticky.

Edit2: Also check HFM.net's historical viewer (CTRL+B); you may have already knocked out a BigAdv...

Im way passed 10..I will check it out:thup:

I have all this already except do I add a 1 after -SMP?

7. The proper start string is -bigadv -smp X -verbosity 9 (order doesn't matter) either in extra paramaters of advanced configuration or in the start string. X = number of FAH processes to run. You can set this number to number of cpu cores - 1, to allow cpu cycles for multiple GPU clients.

well leaving -smp _ blank means it will use all cores available or you can give up a core -smp 7 (instead of 8) to allow for GPU folding...

Back