• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of Folding,need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well leaving -smp _ blank means it will use all cores available or you can give up a core -smp 7 (instead of 8) to allow for GPU folding...

Ok thats what I thought,mine is blank and seems to be working ok..

thanks guys:thup:

One more thing:)
Does this mean when it asked you for advanced options I should put no?

6. Advanced Methods must be turned off in advanced configuration

Also, don't forget to run through ChasR's BigAdv checklist to be on the safe side. For example, you'll need at least 10 SMP units before you get your bonus.

Edit: The checklist has been added to the super sticky.

Edit2: Also check HFM.net's historical viewer (CTRL+B); you may have already knocked out a BigAdv...

Im way passed 10..I will check it out:thup:

Ctrl+B or Benchmarks Viewer shows a finite number of previous frames for any Client/Project (up to 300).

Ctrl+H or WU History Viewer shows an indefinite history of WUs completed and allows you to query on multiple fields to slim down the results.

Ctrl+B or Benchmarks Viewer shows a finite number of previous frames for any Client/Project (up to 300).

Ctrl+H or WU History Viewer shows an indefinite history of WUs completed and allows you to query on multiple fields to slim down the results.

Cool I didn't know that...Thanks:thup:

Also, don't forget to run through ChasR's BigAdv checklist to be on the safe side. For example, you'll need at least 10 SMP units before you get your bonus.

Edit: The checklist has been added to the super sticky.

Edit2: Also check HFM.net's historical viewer (CTRL+B); you may have already knocked out a BigAdv...

According to CTRL+B ive done no -Bigadv yet...

It's really a Gromacs bug that prevents -bigadv folding in Linux. Pande Group is at Gromacs mercy on this one.

One more thing:)
Does this mean when it asked you for advanced options I should put no?

6. Advanced Methods must be turned off in advanced configuration

No, the "Advanced methods" is a separate configuration question.

Answer "yes" to the advanced options question. Then when it asks "Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced scientific cores and/or work units if available?" answer "no"

No, the "Advanced methods" is a separate configuration question.

Answer "yes" to the advanced options question. Then when it asks "Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced scientific cores and/or work units if available?" answer "no"

Ok great thats what I have..thanks all you guys for the help and quick responses:thup:

Guys would it be better to keep my P55 and add another 580 to it and go with the 2 580s and the i7 860,or buy Sandy Bridge MB and 2600K and just one 580 and a 9800GTX?

See the PPD database for the approximate CPU/GPU numbers, which is where these figures came from.

For PPD alone, not considering PPD/$ nor PPD/watt:
(Also, this varies based on what WUs are thrown your way)

Ballpark, the 580 nets about 18k, while a 2600k OC'd @ 4.9Ghz can net roughly 45k (or more). The i7 860 OC'd @ 4Ghz gets ~25k, and lastly the 9800GTX (not plus) nabs ~6k.

So, your options are one of these two:
2x 580 + i7 860 = 18k + 18k + 25k = ~61k
580 + 2600k + 9800 = 18k + 45k + 6k = ~69k

See the PPD database for the approximate CPU/GPU numbers, which is where these figures came from.

For PPD alone, not considering PPD/$ nor PPD/watt:
(Also, this varies based on what WUs are thrown your way)

Ballpark, the 580 nets about 18k, while a 2600k OC'd @ 4.9Ghz can net roughly 45k (or more). The i7 860 OC'd @ 4Ghz gets ~25k, and lastly the 9800GTX (not plus) nabs ~6k.

So, your options are one of these two:
2x 580 + i7 860 = 18k + 18k + 25k = ~61k
580 + 2600k + 9800 = 18k + 45k + 6k = ~69k

Wow JMTYRA thanks much that answered my question..thanks for the quick response:thup:
I wasn't thinking about it but I could also keep the P55 going with the 9800GTX and buy the SB with the 580..All that should be pretty good pickings:)

Thanks again:)

Up late on the 'interwebs' and saw your post. ;)

Hope you're able to get the max PPD you can. Go Team 32!! :D

FYI, if you want to see other configurations, the PPD database link is in our T32 sticky.

Fold on sir, fold on
:salute:

Yes I keep forgetting to look at the STICKYS..
I felt bad after I started this thread 5 pages ago,i could have saved a lot of questions had I read first then asked..thanks though you all for putting up with my questions,you all rock..:rock::rock::rock:

Back