• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of upgrading my CPU cooler...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I am thinking of upgrading my CPU cooler...and am hoping that this group can talk me into it, or talk me out of it.

I am currently running an Asetec 550LC 120mm AIO cooler for my rig. It is solid.

My limitation is that I can only get an overclock to 4.2 GHz on my 5820K. My temps are:

- Prime95 version 28.5 or higher: 93 C max core
- Everything else: 72 C max core

I bought my rig mainly to game. I have yet to find a game that will stress the CPU (it's a beast). In fact, when I am gaming now I run SETI@home on half the processor and still only get up to 65% processor utilization for most games.

So...I really don't need more OC speed...but...:D:D:D:D

The cooler I am looking at is the 240mm Corsair H100i GTX...I see the price is around $100 or so currently.

So...obviously, I really don't need an new cooler...just wondering pros/cons:

Pros:
- Cooler CPU
- Can push overclock farther
- Has the really cool LED on the chiller block that would look great in my rig

Cons:
- I have to install it (never done that before)
- There is a lot of cable management with this CPU cooler

What are your thoughts? If the H100i GTX is not a good cooler, what is a better choice?

Thanks!

I agree with Atminside if you're going to upgrade get the Swiftech AIO. Much better pump and it's expandable if you need more cooling in the future for say a Gpu.

As far as installation all it takes is some time, patience and gumption. It's not hard just make sure it will fit in the case you have and plan accordingly.

The Swiftech H220-X and H240-X have great specs.

It looks like I have to buy directly from Swiftech? Didn't see them on Newegg.

Even checked Amazon...saw some bad reviews about pump failing and algae and gunk build-up on a new unit.

I don't want to purchase a unit and have to flush/clean the coolant more than I do for my car! Has this been your experience?

Even checked Amazon...saw some bad reviews about pump failing and algae and gunk build-up on a new unit.

I don't want to purchase a unit and have to flush/clean the coolant more than I do for my car! Has this been your experience?

PerformancePC's also has them, typically. Same for NCIX and MicroCenter.
Can also buy from Swiftech direct.

Your call there, I'd just pick the one with stock and/or cheap shipping :thup:

I don't pay much attention to reviews on electronic sites, most people will only publish a review when they are unhappy. You don't see many people that post them when they are completely satisfied.

Pumps fail, it's part of the deal with watercooling, that said swiftech has been in the game longer then most of these companies. I would trust one of their products over others.

As far as flushing and cleaning goes, I do not have experience with AIO heatsinks, but do with watercooling. My loop gets drained every six months and once a year I do a complete tear down. I run distilled water and biocide in my loop and can say I could probably let my loop go for more then a year without doing anything, judging by how clean everything is when I take it apart.

I checked the link...none in stock.

I do see the Corsair H100i GTX on Amazon for $104.20 (with my Prime membership).

The only other advantage to a bigger water cooler would be to stay at my current 4.2 GHz and run quieter? Is this true?

You checked the link... I don't see any links posted.

Honestly, in comparison to the Swiftech units I mentioned, the H100i GTX is garbage.

the h100 is low line, the swifty is a good unit, swiftech makes good stuff.
yes with more cooling you can clock it higher AND quieter.
with the h100 you got what you got, with the swiftech when the upgrade bug stings again you have room to grow it and trust me, the watercooling bug just loves to sting you so nice.

If you're new to custom water cooling that will involved maintenance, etc, read up our stickies. If you don't want to deal with all of this, stick with a sealed AIO but don't expect the temps you'd get from a custom loop.

Also, that core temp is dangerously high. I'd never allow it to run that high. Not sure why you have such a huge gap in temps between the cores. Could be a bad seat.

What is your voltage set at to get that OC?

Well, a Corsair H100i GTX ought to be a heck of a lot better than that Asetec 550LC single 120mm. Probably 10°C cooler, or more.

And yeah, you should definitely either look into some better cooling or lower your overclock and voltage, because you're going to be degrading your CPU at that temperature if you run it that hot regularly.

Guys, his Prime temp is 93 and his typical usage barely cracks 70, where's the issue here?

he has 2 issues that I read in his posts, he wants to clock it higher and have it quiet, outside of that the setup he has is fine for what he is doing now.

Guys, his Prime temp is 93 and his typical usage barely cracks 70, where's the issue here?

I think you're missing the point. Sure he won't hit that or wait for it........will he? We surely can't assume he won't even though he's running a bench with it. You want the PC to have a good OC, stability as well as have good temps whether when you're benching and I thought that was the whole point. What the PC can do at max load, whether he does or not daily. Whats not to say that he folds and walks away from the PC. I'm guessing here that it might be a thermal auto shutoff at 100c but who wants to run their core at 85c+ if say he was folding or doing something else that puts it at full bore.

I think you're missing the point. Sure he won't hit that or wait for it........will he? We surely can't assume he won't even though he's running a bench with it. You want the PC to have a good OC, stability as well as have good temps whether when you're benching and I thought that was the whole point. What the PC can do at max load, whether he does or not daily. Whats not to say that he folds and walks away from the PC. I'm guessing here that it might be a thermal auto shutoff at 100c but who wants to run their core at 85c+ if say he was folding or doing something else that puts it at full bore.

Even when he's gaming and running SETI@HOME he's hitting 72°C.
Sorry, but there's no problems in the slightest with that temp.

F@H also doesn't come close to the temps of P95.

Back