• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of upgrading my CPU cooler...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even planning for two 250W GPU's you'd be fine with an 850W of the same series.

That said, I run a single 980 for 5760x1080.

Right now with 2 970s in SLI, I draw about 550 W gaming (wow it's hard to type on an iPhone when you are drunk - hehe).The graphics cards are at about 95% max power each (say 250W), so that means the processor and everything else draws 300W).

My future plan would be for at least 2 200 W graphics cards in SLI (I've been an NVIDIA for many years). That's an extra 150 W...so I would need at least 700 W.

If I go this route, I would overclock more...

So I agree - 850 W would be good (my current supply is 800 W).

You're so smart! (I'm not sure if that's the alcohol talking!!!!!)

just get the 850 g2 then.
thie issue is not the excess wattage, the issue becomes the size of the psu case, and way overspending.
I have an evga 1600, out of 8 cases it will only, really fit in my two full tower cases.
also the wiring is larger and bends for that take larger radius and thats just more space.

Right now with 2 970s in SLI, I draw about 550 W gaming (wow it's hard to type on an iPhone when you are drunk - hehe).The graphics cards are at about 95% max power each (say 250W), so that means the processor and everything else draws 300W).

My future plan would be for at least 2 200 W graphics cards in SLI (I've been an NVIDIA for many years). That's an extra 150 W...so I would need at least 700 W.

If I go this route, I would overclock more...

So I agree - 850 W would be good (my current supply is 800 W).

You're so smart! (I'm not sure if that's the alcohol talking!!!!!)

Is that 550W measured at the wall?

Alcohol likes to say a lot of things, LOL

Well before you purchase the case, whats not to say your curiosity will eventually lead you to plundge into custom water cooling and would like to expand your loop which you could with the Swiftech. Nope, that wasn't the alcohol talking either. :p

For the $150ish range (if you could go that high), I'd advise on looking at some other great custom water cooling friendly cases. Check out the Corsair (540, 750D) and the NZXT cases for example.

Also, make sure you do measurements, or at least get the new case first and than do measurements to make sure nothing makes contact.

Well before you purchase the case, whats not to say your curiosity will eventually lead you to plundge into custom water cooling and would like to expand your loop which you could with the Swiftech. Nope, that wasn't the alcohol talking either. :p

For the $150ish range (if you could go that high), I'd advise on looking at some other great custom water cooling friendly cases. Check out the Corsair (540, 750D) and the NZXT cases for example.

Also, make sure you do measurements, or at least get the new case first and than do measurements to make sure nothing makes contact.

The case he is looking at, the Noctis 450, is actually able to hold 7.120 worth of radiator.
11246814_374307742760557_1853113694_n.jpg

Very spacious case, for a mid tower, I think it would be a good fit for him.
That said, definitely measure before buying extra radiators to make sure that the thickness will fit.

Yeah - 550 W at the wall...at 80% efficiency, that's 110 W in the supply, so the system draws 190 W (with 120 at the processor).

850 W should be plenty

Yep, even with something like 2x 980Ti in SLI and overclocked you'll have plenty :thup:

OK - I'm such a geek (not that there's anything wrong with that). Just ordered:

Case: Noctis 450
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146206

Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX (280 mm)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181094

Power Supply: EVGA 850W, Gold (was on sale...$99.99 = $129.99 - $10 Promo - $20 main in rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438018

I'll take pictures as I go through the build!

(I know ATMINSIDE...it's not the Swiftech...the reviews I read on the H110i GTX (note the "GTX") had better performance)

I just hope you know it'll be (at least) 15dBa louder than the Swiftech

II plan on running it in "quiet" mode and getting the best overclock I can get with that. From what I read, the cooler still does very well in this mode. Worst case, I'll upgrade the fans later.

and isn't expandable
I'm too much of a woos to do custom...hehe.

I just hope you know it'll be (at least) 15dBa louder than the Swiftech and isn't expandable... lol

Lies.

$(KGrHqV,!hsE5huInruNBObslgQKj!~~60_35.JPG

+

Skalm_2.JPG

+

worm-drive.jpg

+

41AaosjaGvL._SX342_.jpg

+

Lian-Li-T-7024W-Radiator.jpg

BOOM! Instant expansion... lol

edit: before anyone blows a gasket, this is completely a joke...

Rebuilt the system last night with the new Corsair H110i GTX, Noctis 450 case, and EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR power supply.

Turned it on...with the cooler set to "quiet mode" my temps dropped by 10 C. Can't hear any fans...ahhhhhhh.....

However, the Corsair Link software is a PoS though...only good for setting the LED color...

Got everything set...still some more tweaking to do.

I plugged the AIO fans into the motherboard. The Corsair Link software is so buggy. Plus, I like the idea of my BIOS controlling the fan profile.

I have the overclock now at 4.3 GHz, and a very low % fan curve setup in the BIOS.

Running Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, my temps on all cores stay below 70 C...and I can't hear a single fan...glorious!

When I run Prime95 (ver 28.5), the max core temperature is 90 C...with the fans only at around 75%.

Yay for quiet and overclocked by 1 GHz!

The Corsair link software is still buggy as hell...

After changing the radiator fans to run off the motherboard, I decided I wanted to change my Corsair LED color on the water block. The software would not change it. I tried to change the pump speed...would not change it.

I uninstalled the Corsair Link software, and reinstalled...now it works...

Also - after changing my LED color, I was able to increase my pump speed...dropped CPU temperatures...go figure!

Has been since it released, enjoy! :p

You can say that again. 3+ years in the making and nothings been done. Its the elephant in the room.

They've said they are working on a Corsair Link 4 which is a brand new from bottom/up design that will fix all the issues of the past. I've heard that many times before over the years on their forums.

Back