• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

this is driving me nuts!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
Okay, here is the deal. I built my mom a new computer, and everything went together well. However, there is one problem. Her hard drive is labeled as Drive F: I can't really figure out how this happened. It really shouldn't be a problem, but some of her programs and updates doesn't like not seeing the drive C: I asked about this previously and tried what was suggested but it didn't work. I was told to get WCPUID? And use the drive tools to change to drive C, but C was not available. How can I fix this? It is windows XP Professional, and it is the only drive in the computer.

did you reformat and partition the drive before you installed? if not, then thats how things got messed up. there might be other weird partitions on the drive. if windows was installed to F:, thats where it is and you would have* to start over to re-do it.

*i am not %100 sure that i am speaking the truth, but i think thats the case

yes, it was a brand new hard drive. I formated using NTFS on one partition. I still am dumbfounded :bang head

try going to the hdd right clicking and go to properties, then change it to any name u want.

You can't change the drive letter for the OS partition. If you have a Zip drive or any other similar drive disconnect it and reinstall XP if you want XP on C: I always use fdisk to partition because every so often XP gets a mind of its own.

Back