• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thoughts on low end PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hi, I need to buy a PSU for my girl.

She has an i3 cpu, 2 core 4 threads, a couple HDDs, dvd burner, regular stuff, no OC.

Now, she has a crappy vid card, and I'm sending her my ATI HD3870.

Since I have the Corsair TX850 and am very happy with it, I want to go with the same, however, she needs nothing of that power.

I found the CX430, and it has the PCI-E connector that is needed for the HD3870.

Is this the best for $44? Do you recommend anything else, I think this is it, but who knows, maybe this is not the right choice. I think for her computer, and the upgrade to the HD3870, it will be great, and she may upgrade to another HDD and maybe SSD, but never to a higher vid card or cpu, so I need the best but cheapest PSU for her that will work with her computer, with no upgrade in mind.

I'm only asking because I value your opinion, I would have bought it for her already, but since she has to wait a week for the card, I may as well get a second opinion on the CX430 (it's obviously not a TX850 like mine, but it doesn't have to be).

Thank you..

Here is the link to the PSU: hxxp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

I believe it has everything she needs and plenty of power. The reason I need to replace hers is I'm not sure if she even has a pci-e connector, and on top of that, it's a no-name PSU and HWMonitor reports the 12V rail at 8V all the time, even in BIOS its 8V, I don't even know how her computer works still, but the 5V and 3.3V lines are ok, although they are also over 10% off, either plus or minus, ridiculous. I don`t want her to ruin what she has.

CX430 will work fine.
Definitely dump the current PSU!

I'm trying to convince Antec to send me their entry into the Super Cheap But Still Good PSU market, but even if they do I won't have data on it for a while. For now, the CX430 is the go-to unit.

TRYPT, I absolutely LOVE your avatar! Had some a few times; most amazing thing in the world; beautiful especially occurring in so many organisms.

Back