• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thoughts on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks good. Make sure the RAM is on the QVL for the motherboard. Do you have an AM4 bracket for your H100?

The Trident Z Neo's should be on the list... otherwise, looks good. :)

That GPU is finally going to stretch its feet!

I'm not really sure what qvl is. I was gonna get the bracket from ebay

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

The Trident Z Neo's should be on the list... otherwise, looks good. :)

That GPU is finally going to stretch its feet!

I didnt see the neos on the compatibility list..... maybe I missed it?

Maybe... what is the part number(s)? The list doesn't say "Trident Z Neo".....

That said, find any 2x8GB DDR4 2600 CL16 that is on the list and choose those. :)

QVL is Qualified Vendor List. You'll have to look at the part number on the motherboard's compatibility list on Gigabyte's website. The list just shows what models have been tested with that motherboard

You'll have to go by the Module P/N column. That's the model number of the RAM. You can take a chance with something not on the list but for peace of mind, you should get something on the list.

The QVL list is far from exhaustive as to the products which prove to be compatible. There is no way in the world the motherboard manufacturer can test all the RAM products out there for compatibility, especially being as how new products come out all the time.

The other problem with people using the QVL list is that often it will specify a product as being compatible that does not match the configuration you would want to use. For instance, it may be exactly the same sticks as you are looking at but in the QVL list it is listed as being compatible when used as a single stick or when used as four sticks when you want to use two sticks. Or it may say a 2x4gb kit is compatible but you want to use 2x8gb. So if you want to be absolutely sure it will work you would be restricted to not only the same stick but the same configuration. For those reasons, I frankly have not found QVL lists very helpful in a practical sense.

Thx for the comments.

Ill most likely just stick with the setup I choose I guess. Any other input is welcomed though. If you would change anything what would it be?

My only suggestion at this point would be to consider getting a PCIe NVME system drive to replace the SATA MX500 you have now. That would make bootup and program loading faster.

My only suggestion at this point would be to consider getting a PCIe NVME system drive to replace the SATA MX500 you have now. That would make bootup and program loading faster.

For sure! I can't do an m.2 at the moment. I will though......

I have a 1 tb ssd on the way now but will need to get 1 when I do this. Can I just go with a small one and run my games off the ssd or is there a noticeable difference with gaming? To my knowledge only data transfers are faster.

You do realize, don't you, that m.2 is a physical size/shape format that is used by both SATA and PCie/NVME. A SATA m.2 will not give you any performance gain over a 2.5" SATA drive because they both use the SATA bus with it's more limited bandwidth.

But your question confuses me. "Can I just go with the small one . . ." What are you referring to? I wouldn't consider a 1TB SSD a small one. Or are you talking about the 500gb Crucial? Yes, the 500gb Crucial should be fine for the system drive and games until you can get an m.2 PCIe/NVME and will have little or no negative impact on gaming.

You do realize, don't you, that m.2 is a physical size/shape format that is used by both SATA and PCie/NVME. A SATA m.2 will not give you any performance gain over a 2.5" SATA drive because they both use the SATA bus with it's more limited bandwidth.

But your question confuses me. "Can I just go with the small one . . ." What are you referring to? I wouldn't consider a 1TB SSD a small one. Or are you talking about the 500gb Crucial? Yes, the 500gb Crucial should be fine for the system drive and games until you can get an m.2 PCIe/NVME and will have little or no negative impact on gaming.

sry, i was at work earlier trying to type fast.....

i guess im not up on the terminology, thought the m.2 was just the new, faster ones. i was referring to PCIe/nvme. will there be any difference from a gaming aspect? thought it was mainly just faster data transfers.

sry again. i plan on trading out the 500gb for a 1tb im getting tomorrow. the question was can i just run my games off of that and get a small PCIe/nvme to run the system off of?

sorry for the confusion!

Yes. As long as the games will install on another drive that is not the system drive. And whether or not the games are installed on a SATA SSD or a PCIe/NVME probably won't make any difference in the quality of the game play.

By the way, what are you going to do about activating Windows? Are you doing a fresh installation of Windows? Do you have an unused copy of Windows for this new system. If not, there may be activation issues.

Yes. As long as the games will install on another drive that is not the system drive. And whether or not the games are installed on a SATA SSD or a PCIe/NVME probably won't make any difference in the quality of the game play.

By the way, what are you going to do about activating Windows? Are you doing a fresh installation of Windows? Do you have an unused copy of Windows for this new system. If not, there may be activation issues.

i usually just go to ebay and get a key for a few bucks. its worked good multiple times. ive had pretty good experience doing it that way. ill just do a fresh install most likely

Okay. Just checking. Wasn't sure what your level of experience was as a builder but a lot of novice builders don't take that one into account when compiling a build budget.

That would be a great choice. The 970 evo is the favorite of all the regulars on this forum. Maybe a little over priced but a great warranty. You might also look at the Western Digital Blue m.2 PCie NVME.

Back