• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Threadripper 2920x OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMStanced

4100 MHZ

CPU volt: 1.25 v
Vcore Volt fixed : 1.25 v

XMP enabled.

This is how much adjustments i made so far.
cpu temp. is around 59-60 degress idle.
and bump to around 70 while playing LoL.

Does this look alright? Max temp. is suppose to be at 68 degrees? but it seems like many people are running way over 68 degree unless they run it 24/7

That looks like a nice OC. For 24/7 on TR you want to keep the voltages dow like you have should last you years that way

It looks really good. I had no chance to test 2920X but I had (now my brother has it) 1920X and it required 1.41V for 4.1GHz what was already pretty good result for 1st gen Ryzen.

oh great!
I was able to hit 4200 MHZ with about 1.3 V CPU volt, and v core volt.

but CPU temp was sitting around 70 degrees idle, i got scared and pulled back.. lol..
Would that be a good set up too even though cpu temp seems a bit high?

Right now with 4100MHZ, it does get up to 73 degrees easily. 60 degrees idle. 66-70 degrees during normal tasking
i see that max temp i hit today is 78 degrees. (i have not done intensive work yet)

Idle should be ~30-40°C max but I guess you have that temp with an offset so +25°C or something near. Check temps in something like hwinfo64, there you will see both standard temp and with offset. Max in specs is 68°C but the CPU works fine up to 80+.

i did increase my cpu fan speed to about 85% running at idle. About 1300rpm max is like 1420 rpm or something.

i can't figure out what voltage offset is. so i just used fixed amount. i don' know which option is better, safer.

Pic attached.

@Woomack when you say the CPU works fine up to 80+, what would be the ideal idle temps then?
Right now mine is like 63 degrees idle. Pushing to 4200 would give me around 70 degrees idle

As I said, your temp is probably with an offset so is showing a higher value than it is in real. Real max temp is 68°C in AMD specs. This is load temp.
I was testing multiple TR4 coolers on 1st gen TR so the same 68°C max in specs. All noctua coolers could run at 61-67°C during load and ~30-35°C idle. This is without mentioned offset. My CPU has +25°C offset.

oh my bad now i understand. it seems like offset on mine is +27 degrees.
There is a ton of more room for more OC!:clap:

Attachments

• temp.PNG
    temp.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 1,423
Yeah the offset temps that AMD implemented were ridiculous. They felt it would help improve the precision boost but mostly it just caused a lot of confusion.

i OCed to 4150ghz. i can do 4200ghz but i wasn't feeling to comfortable with the temp.
With 4150ghz setup, i hit 90 degrees max using IntelBurnerTest Stress Level at very high and Time to run at 20.

please take a look at the pics and let me know what you guys think:confused:

Attachments

• wert.PNG
    wert.PNG
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,332
  • 4.15ghz.PNG
    4.15ghz.PNG
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,332
Looks like it's not worth it considering not a much higher clock. Especially in 24/7 work, you won't see any difference.

Whew, that max package power though (400W). I agree with Woomack, once Ryzen starts taking on vcore you hit a pretty steep curve of voltage to clock speeds, so for 24/7 it just makes sense to run where it is happy with a lower vcore rather than push it to the limit for a few extra MHz.

Last edited:
i did just bring it down to 4100.
One question, i hear this noise coming from one of the fans(i think).
Everything runs smoothly but once in awhile i "think" i hear one fan stops at one point, and get back up to speed. It's like the sound of bearing or something.
Is there a way to check if the fan stops and run again at one point?

Does it happen under load? I'm guessing it's coil whine. My Vega screams like a Goat when folding at max voltage. Thankfully I undervolt for F@H.

Does it happen under load? I'm guessing it's coil whine. My Vega screams like a Goat when folding at max voltage. Thankfully I undervolt for F@H.

Hmm i believe i was just playing League of Legend and playing youtube vid or something. These should be light tasks for my set up im guessing. Im only at like 1.28~1.3 volt for cpu.
It really sounds like a ball bearing stops and trying to get up to 90% speed real quick instead of slowly catching up speed lol..

Hmm im getting this blue screen now. This happened twice when i put the pc to sleep and turn it on the next day.
Maybe the "bearing""coil whining" sound is related to this ?

Attachments

• 557BC2EF-5E56-462B-A44C-48AA56C123EE.png
    557BC2EF-5E56-462B-A44C-48AA56C123EE.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,100
  • B5E23661-E4BF-43F7-BD3E-E3A54B5DBFCB.jpeg
    B5E23661-E4BF-43F7-BD3E-E3A54B5DBFCB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1,100
Coil wine is harmless and can happen at various loads and load types. I really thought I had a bad fan the first couple weeks it was happening in my rig. But yes it is usually with heavier loads.

What is your LLC or load line calibration set to? I have heard of low power instability when LLC is set to bring load voltage above idle. Looking at your screenshot I don't believe this is the case, as it appears that your vcore decreases by 0.013V under load. It could just be something with the power settings in the bios not liking the overclock as well. I don't use standby so I'm not familiar with all that can go wrong with it. Since standby dumps the memory into storage and pulls it back out again, maybe it's a memory or IMC stability issue. I'm not sure how well IBT stresses memory, I usually use prime95 set to blend with a custom memory usage for most of my ram (in a 32GB system 28GB or 29GB) and I also see AIDA64 recommended a lot for stressing memory.

I have heard of low power instability when LLC is set to bring load voltage above idle.
I think I know what you meant here.

If LLC is set too aggressively, this can allow users to lower the vcore too much and possibly introduce stability at idle/light loads.

Generically speaking to all, the goal of using LLC is to have the load voltage match what is set in the BIOS without going over. :)

Back