• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tigerdirect.com Vs Newegg.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I prefer newegg.

Newegg's website is more polished and allows better sorting.
Newegg's packaging is exceptional.
Newegg's Customer Service is great

Tiger's Customer Service is also great hard to say which is better.
Tiger's packaging is good but not great.
Tiger's shipping prices are not as good on larger items.

Price between the two is effectively the same some parts a bit less than the other.

In short both vendors are good, but I prefer newegg for their cleaner more functional website.

And then there is the sales tax... I believe TD has a warehouse somewhere in Cali so you'd pay sales tax on whatever you buy from them making the final purchase cost even higher.

And then there is the sales tax... I believe TD has a warehouse somewhere in Cali so you'd pay sales tax on whatever you buy from them making the final purchase cost even higher.

It's the other way around. No sales tax for tiger on the headset I bought, always get dinged sales tax for newegg in CA

Tigerdirect is out for me me as I am in Florida = Sales tax. Newegg has always given me superb service.

It's the other way around. No sales tax for tiger on the headset I bought, always get dinged sales tax for newegg in CA

You're right... I haven't bought anything from TD in such a long time (I'm in South Fla so they jack me the sales tax)...

That's a tough one... Newegg does have a bigger selection IMO, but Tiger is better on electronics.

TD better on Electronics? Not at all. Limited selection with TD, higher prices on almost anything they DO have. RMA is painful with TD, no problems with NewEgg.

When I've been unhappy with a product from Newegg they either take it back (AND NOT CHARGE ME RESTOCKING FEES) or offer me some credit back to my account. Even on items the manufacturer is supposed to take care of.

Its how you speak to Newegg on the phone and how extensive your buying history is with them. Unbeatable customer service at the Egg for me.
:D

TD better on Electronics? Not at all. Limited selection with TD, higher prices on almost anything they DO have. RMA is painful with TD, no problems with NewEgg.

When I've been unhappy with a product from Newegg they either take it back (AND NOT CHARGE ME RESTOCKING FEES) or offer me some credit back to my account. Even on items the manufacturer is supposed to take care of.

Its how you speak to Newegg on the phone and how extensive your buying history is with them. Unbeatable customer service at the Egg for me.
:D

My monitors were cheaper at Tiger than Newegg. They replaced my board in the barebones kit for a more expensiver one.

Seems good to me. Haven't had to RMA to either TD or Newegg (I RMAd my GFX card to XFX though).

I did have one bad experience with Newegg where 1 day shipping turned into no shipping. That's about it though. Rest was fine. I did like how they gave me a $15 promo card though after the next day my CPU went on sale.

It depends on who you deal with. I have not yet tried Newegg's business side however.

You're right... I haven't bought anything from TD in such a long time (I'm in South Fla so they jack me the sales tax)...

Now there is a flip side to all this. The OP lives in santa barbara which isnt all that much further than I am from the main warehouse in LA. So...if he orders ground shipping he will most likely get the item next day. I usually order from newegg and pay the tax with ground shipping because it feels like I am getting free or discounted next day shipping. Tiger ground from FL to socal averages 5 days.

I feel like Newegg is trying to become Amazon circa 2008. Their Black Friday deals last November were subpar, whereas the years before (2006-2010) were awesome. I thought it was a slap in the face that they listed the 2600k for the same exact price it has been for months on the site as a BF deal. All in all I still purchase many things from the egg, but I see less and less amazing deals nowadays. Good deals yes, but not any that would make me post on here to go nuts and grab lol. Packaging is always great from them and TD from my experiences. Amazon prime shipping has inspired me to try and get whatever I can from the zon before the other vendors. I just like getting things quicker for no additional charge :p (My prime membership was only $40 thanks to taking classes after my original student membership expired)

My monitors were cheaper at Tiger than Newegg. They replaced my board in the barebones kit for a more expensiver one.

Seems good to me. Haven't had to RMA to either TD or Newegg (I RMAd my GFX card to XFX though).

I did have one bad experience with Newegg where 1 day shipping turned into no shipping. That's about it though. Rest was fine. I did like how they gave me a $15 promo card though after the next day my CPU went on sale.

It depends on who you deal with. I have not yet tried Newegg's business side however.

I attempted to create a business account with Newegg, but ended it really quickly when I found out they do not accept Purchase Orders. Tough to call yourself a business when you don't accept PO's... I do have a TigerDirect Business account and use it often.

Tiger ground from FL to socal averages 5 days.
In my experience with Tigerdirect at my old job, shipping from south FL to (literally 5 miles away) south FL took around 5+ days as well. They took so long to ship that it was just easier to buy parts on Newegg as they'd get to us faster.

We had hoped to use TD for purchasing IP phones & such, but their shipping was just so sloppy it wasn't worth dealing with the (un)professional rep they assigned us. Maybe it's different if you're ordering out of state.

I still make the occasional personal purchase in-store as the TD stores tend to have good discounts on things like monitors and such, but I would check Amazon or newegg before buying anything from their website.

Back