• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illuminate

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am looking to upgrade my current GPU which is a EVGA GTX 560 ti 448 Ultra overclocked to 950MHz. My price point is $170-200, I have been looking at the 650 ti boost 2gb and was wondering if there is a big performance difference between that and the 660?

As the 650 ti boost is around the same price as another 560 ti 448 would i be better to sli or would the lack of vram bottleneck performance
when playing at 1920 x 1080 ?

My reason for upgrading is to get better min frame rates in games at 1920 x 1080 i also will be upgrading my CPU in a couple months.

Games:
Battlefield 3
Crysis 3
GTA IV
Planetside 2
Skyrim

Any help or input is appreciated. :)

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Yeah, the only way you'd get a meaningingful performance increase for that much money would be SLI. You'd have to step up to a 7950+ for an upgrade to be worth it.

2GB of memory should be fine for a single 1080P montior.

Could you list your entire system specs?

Here is my system:
Case: NZXT 810
Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: FX-4170 @ 4.7Ghz
GPU: GTX 560 ti 448
PSU: Thermaltake 850w
Ram: Crucial Sport 1333

The reason i was thinking about the 650 ti boost was that it is at a price point that im comfortable with and i could by another card in the future and sli. Are the AMD options at this price point about the same in performance ? Or should i take Boulard83's advice and wait ?

Don't "upgrade" to a GTX650Ti, as it will be more of a sidegrade than a meaningful upgrade. If you must upgrade now then buy at least a GTX660Ti or a 7950, otherwise you may be disappointed. Or wait until the next generation of cards are out.

Ok thanks guys for your help you probably saved me from getting a card i would be dissapointed with i think ill just wait till after graduation then and hopefully get enough for a 660 ti or 670 that seems like the smarter thing to do. Again thanks for the help.

Back