• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for an upgrade or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznkid24

Registered
Hey guys, this is my first post as I just registered.
I was wondering if it was time to upgrade my graphics card for the games i play, I'm currently running a gtx560(fermi) from EVGA, core i3 3220 with a P8z68 from ASUS. The Display I'm current on is the BENQ 2420T 144hz monitor, but since I'm running lightboost on it its limited to 120 hz. I had my eyes on the new R9 280x and the 760 TI when it comes out, The games I play are dota2, CS:GO, Battlefield 4, COD:Ghosts, Starcraft 2, Batman: Arkham Origins. My Rig is a little over a year old.
Any comments and thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

sorry for my noob English

You need a GPU and CPU upgrade. I would wait for Black Friday sales, though. The 280X should be on sale. A 3570K would be a good chip upgrade and is actually on sale now for $210 on Newegg.

280X is $300 usually, so should be a few dollars (~$10 or $20 I would imagine) off come Black Friday.

Agreed on the CPU upgrade, a "k" version that allows overclocking, to give it a bit more life.

I'd go AMD 290 for the GPU though...

Agreed on the CPU upgrade, a "k" version that allows overclocking, to give it a bit more life.

I'd go AMD 290 for the GPU though...

Agreed. You're going to be spending a bit more money, but the service life you get out of a 3570K/290 combo is going to make you much happier in the long run.

hmm i dont want to spend 400 for the 290, and the K series, I will not be overclocking. But do you guys think its time for me to upgrade from my GTX 560?

^Again, yes.

Grab a used 2500k or 3670k (both work on your mobo).
All CPUs, as soon as they are boxed ones, have a 3 years warranty.

Grab a used AMD 7970/NVidia 680. Depending on the manufacturer, some, like Asus or EVGA, have a 3 years warranty.

CPU+GPU should cost you around $300/$350.

Thoughts on 7970 vs a R9 280x?
Edit: ^ about the CPU if i were to upgrade how about a used 3570? that would work with my mobo too no?

Last edited:
Thoughts on 7970 vs a R9 280x?
The 280x is basically the same as the 7970, get whichever one is cheaper.
Edit: ^ about the CPU if i were to upgrade how about a used 3570? that would work with my mobo too no?
Yes it will work.

I would strongly suggest picking up a used 3570K.
There's no need to certainly prohibit yourself from overclocking when you have such a good board. In a couple of years when you start wanting a little more speed, turning up the juice on a 3570K (super easy, BTW) will be an easy way to stave off the upgrade bug.

You don't have to overclock right away...for only a couple of extra dollars, no need to eliminate the possibility.

Thanks guys, one last question will the 3570k coupled with the R9 280// 7970 max out BF4 and CoD: ghosts?

Oh I forgot to ask, which manufacturer should I aim for on the R9 280x. That seems the card I've decided on but I'm not familiar with the AMD manufacturers, which one would be the best for gaming?

Oh I forgot to ask, which manufacturer should I aim for on the R9 280x. That seems the card I've decided on but I'm not familiar with the AMD manufacturers, which one would be the best for gaming?
IMO, as you go up in price you get better cooling, quieter operation. AFAIK the ability to perform/OC is within different binning between them all anyway.

Choose a price, then select the card that looks the best to you. That's how I've been doing it and it has worked out very well so far.

sorry for this late question but on the reddit thread that I started someone stated that I might have to flash my BIOS to the current version for IVY bridge to work, is this true?

Yes, that is very much true. Especially since you are on a Z68 chipset.

Just head over to Asus' website and download the latest BIOS revision for your board. It shouldn't be too much trouble for you.

I do believe that is actually your new BIOS. You need to read the instructions on how to flash the BIOS on your board and follow those instructions to a T.

Oh thanks so much, I managed to find a tutorial and successfully updated//flashed my bios for the first time! Cheers!!

Back