• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for another system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tdenton

Hey all.

I'm once again looking for a new system and haven't kept up on all the newest mobo/cpu combinations for about 6 months. 1st choice: Intel/AMD? Next choice: chipset for cpu followed by actual mobo.

I'm looking for at least a 2.5ish system but might go lower if the bank for the buck was really different. Check my sig for my current systems.

Thanks ahead of time!

Tad

AMD.

For cpu I would get a 2100+ tbred b and for mobo an epox 8rda+ (nforce2 chipset). Pair these with some twinmos or corsair ddr and it will fly. The tbred's are hitting around 2.3 almost garenteed with cooling cooling. An slk-800 and tornado should do the trick.

Since AMD is synonymous with "BANG for the buck", go with them.

As far as 2.5GHz, are you talking clock speed or performance compared to a P4 rig?

If you want an exact hardware quote from us, then you need to give us a dollar amount. THEN we'll be able to fit the system to your needs.....

I'd agree with Chrisdafu.. excellent combination.. 8RDA+, Corsair 3500 and a 2100+ Tbred B AIUHB..

With these you should be able to get to ~200 MHz FSB (at least) and probably >2.3 GHz..

Also if you got cash to spend you might look into the bartons. Most people are getting around 2.2 - 2.3ghz with high end air cooling.

im just curious as to why people even bother with 2100/2200+ xp's ? i have a xp 1700 plus and i can easily hit 2100 mhz. and it only cost me 80.00 cdn. so i bet state side there really cheap ! "no flame" just curious

All the 1700's are jui*b chips, which don't go as far as the aui*b chips. The 2100 aren't that expensive up here in igloo country either. Like $150cdn.

Thanks for the info thus far... I was checking on the 2100+ prices with the AIUHB stepping. I have found the following:

stepping code.......date code........price (shipped)
AIUHB...................0306................$89
AIUHB...................0304................$101
AIUHB...................0247................$103

Is there any difference based on the date code?

Not really although some date codes do overclock better but I haven't noticed that big of a difference.

Look at sig for my results of the xp2100...
(As soon as my Abit NF7 v1.2 MB is delivered my MHz will go up even more.)

BTW I paid $95 for my CPU 2 weeks ago.

Back