• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for the annual tear down and rebuild

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hackintosh

Well, I haven't been around the boards much but started slowly getting back in here about a month ago and I decided that I have stared at my computer in shambles long enough and it is time to tear it down and rebuild it / finish it.

Last year I had a lot of stuff going on that stopped me from being able to really make my box how I wanted it, but I finally have some time on my hands and am going to do everything right this time.

Here is my list of stuff to do

1. shorten the distance between the pumps and seal the threads that I tapped, this will allow me to place a fan on each rad at the top. Not sure it will do much but I have a ton of extra fans so I figured I would.

2. I got two more ssd's so I am going to wipe the OS and do a fresh install with 4 128gb ssd's in raid 0. These will be used just for my OS and running things like photoshop, final cut, and Sony Vegas

3. Clean the rads out, they have a ton of dust that collected in them and I have seen my temps go about about 2c and I am guessing it is because of this.

4. I have decided to wrap my computer in White CF for :censored::censored::censored::censored:s and gigles. I have everything done except the front which is almost done, but I am having some issues with a couple spots on it.

4. I bought some CFFL fans to install inside but I am not sure if I am going to use them or not. I also have enough Yate loons to put in there and just use my blue Cold cathodes and my uv ones wired to switch back and forth. This way the lights are hidden, but I am not sure yet.

5. I ordered some custom cut plastic (stole the idea from another member but cant think of his name, he built the ford mustang inspired box) this will create a shield and hide the wiring in the bottom.
there will also be a piece standing up that will replacing the metal that is now holding my tank in place. I have a cut out for it, so that I can put two 80mm fans in the bottom to blow hot air out of the area the PSU sits in

6. I am resleeving the PSU because my heat shrink was bogus and didn't grip well enough. So I bought a bunch of para cord and already have the center removed. (what size heat shrink and where did you guys get it from who have used para cord) I also am doing this because after I finished last time I put the psu in the box only to realize that the pci that plugs into the mobo was not long enough so I have to lengthen those wires a little bit.

7. clean up all wiring

8. Clean all water cooling parts!

9. Install mesh over HDD and SSD with 40mm fans attached. Install some kind of mesh, or cover over the fans on the rads

10. Enjoy my computer once again!

Here is how it sits now (dont mind the mess, work has been crazy and my desk and area behind me has been piling junk for 3 months.
Also I just realized that once I re-sized it is really hard to tell that it is CF wrap and just looks white, but I will get better pictures once I am finished

IMG_20110714_195435-1.jpg
IMG_20110714_195441.jpg
IMG_20110714_195452.jpg
IMG_20110714_195500.jpg
IMG_20110714_195520.jpg

Well, I got my plastics in and made an error when I placed the order and messed up the color so I had to put in a new order.
Have to love delaying things. But after messing with the front for a long time I don't know how this wrap is going to work because of the contours for the buttons

Back