• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time To Upgrade - What's Your Suggestion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YoMatta

Hey Guys,

I've determined that it's time to throw an upgrade or two at my rig before doing a completely new build in the next year. Basically I'm more or less satisfied with the rig I have, but am starting to notice a lack of horsepower creeping up on it. To be honest I think the rig is in need of some more memory, as I tend to multitask a LOT and the 2gigs just isn't cutting it anymore while running Win7 Ultimate.

So here's what I have, let me know your thoughts:

Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi
CPU: Intel C2D E6600 2.4ghz
Memory: 2x 1gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800
Video: EVGA 8800GTS

I would like to hold off on doing my new build until nVidia comes out with their nextgen video cards. I tend to stick wtih nVidia since I usually have a dualboot Linux setup on my main rig (with my other rigs being exclusively Linux).

As far as budget, I didn't really have anything in mind though I don't want to spend too much given that I will be doing a new build in the coming months. Just something to hold me over a bit! :)

Thanks in advance for everyone's help, let me know if there is anymore information I should provide :beer:

Just upgrade the ram and overclock the CPU. Thats about the most cost effective route. That or just put up with what you have to save $50.

More memory is where i would start, though if you're planning a new build soon it seems silly to spend more money on your current one. I'm assuming the new one is going to be something that uses DDR3 ram, so you couldn't buy a 2x2gb kit and use it in your current box till you build the new one.

Thanks guys,

Correct in that the new rig will not use anything from this one (I'm going to convert this one into an HTPC at some point in the next 6 months or so).

Earthdog -

Can I just throw 2 more gigs of some other DDR2 800 memory into the system?

800 isn't a very demanding speed, just make sure all the ram will run at the same voltage and timings and you should be fine.

Yes you can, just make sure the timings and voltages are the same for the new sticks and it will work just fine. ;)

Back