• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Titan XP and Hyperthreading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Was looking for a video for another thread and found this little nugget, anyone with a Titan XP (or that will purchase one in the future) want to comment if this performance boost is true ?

As I said in that thread... depends on the title...settings, etc.

Look at techspot reviews. :)

Edit: after watching it... a Titan XP at 1080p....lol, makes sense it's a bit limited there in most any title.

Why does it only apply to the Titan XP though, driver coding ? Extra VRAM ? "Bottlenecking" other cards already working at peak performance but the Titan can squeeze out a little extra for this specific CPU ? The games tested are all coded for 4+ threads ?

The video indicated that on some titles HT improved performance up to 40% with the Titan X and significantly less than that with a 1070.

Makes me wonder if that differential would be largely eaten up with an overclocked i5.

I also wonder where a 1080 would show in that testing. Not many people run a Titan X. Wish he had made the test more comprehensive.

i5 is an i7 with HT off and a little less cache, results should be in line with what you see in the video no ?

i5 is an i7 with HT off and a little less cache, results should be in line with what you see in the video no ?

Yes, but I wish they had repeated the tests with the 6700k overclocked to about 4.5 with the HT turned off.

A Titan XP at 1080p? Seems a little overkill in the GPU department. Only thing missing is the Minecraft bench scores. LOL

Yay! Someone (else) "got it"!!!!

Let me test this flagship, $1500, card at a budget resolution.....:screwy:

So if this was tested at different resolutions, results would have been different ?

In what way, more or less FPS difference between HT on and off ?

Think about it...

...at least this is how I am thinking about it, right or wrong, lol....

Does it take more or less effort on the cpu to push out 300 or 30 frames from the gpu? Cleay 300, rigbt? So the higher the res, the less amount of fps it has to process.

The whole situation is peculiar in that, why would one pair a $1500 cpu with a $200 non HT CPU in the first place??

If this is strictly for gaming both Titan and 6700k are overkill anyway (wisdom says 6600k is enough), but i follow :) Seen worse pairings tbf, a friend of my father is dead set on replacing he's 970 for a 1080 ti (he has a FX-6300 @stock) and i can't talk him out of it... Maybe i can convince him to get a ZEN after ?

In the test he did test with a GTX 1070 HT on and off there was little change, so maybe he wanted to show the extreme end of testing with Titan XP to prove a point that a i7 6700 HT is not needed for gaming. like Who has a Titan XP at 1080p, that proves his point that the HT is not useful for the games he tested.

With a Higher resolution dose that tax the CPU with more draw calls?

Think about it...

...at least this is how I am thinking about it, right or wrong, lol....

Does it take more or less effort on the cpu to push out 300 or 30 frames from the gpu? Cleay 300, rigbt? So the higher the res, the less amount of fps it has to process.

The whole situation is peculiar in that, why would one pair a $1500 cpu with a $200 non HT CPU in the first place??

This.

I would wager that there are zero builds that sport both a Titan XP and an I5 or lower. This whole video is pointless.

This whole video is pointless.

Not pointless, he wanted to compare HT on and off, and the other results are useful to casuals. Besides 1080p is still the most used resolution for desktops be it office work or gaming.

This.

I would wager that there are zero builds that sport both a Titan XP and an I5 or lower. This whole video is pointless.

Not pointless, he Benchtested 3 video cards GTX 1060, 1070, Titan XP with HT on and off, just to show the difference when you could not see one with GTX 1070.

Back