• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Today is the day: Windows 8.1 is out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If it is a clean install, .net is probably optimizing. This happens in all versions of Windows that have .net.

Did you check the Details tab?

If it is a clean install, .net is probably optimizing.

It was not a clean install. I upgraded it from Win 7 to Win 8 Pro and then went to the Play Store to further upgrade it to Win 8.1.

Did you check the Details tab?

I just opened up Task Manager to see what programs were running and how much CPU utilization they were using. Don't think I checked the Details tab.

Anyway I'm happy with Win 7 and will leave it as it is.

Thank you.

Me too, Zuzzz.

We need to clarify one thing, can Windows 8.1.iso created as posted above, be used to make a fresh install on an empty partition using key
GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9

followed by changing that key to your own 8.0 key of course upon first boot?

As stated I had to put in the 'install key' then change to my valid windows 8 key. I was however able to do a full and clean install on a fresh partition using that ISO made into a bootable DVD. Other than changing the key I had no issues so far. YMMV

Z

I just purchased 8.1 64bit oem and hopefully I don't run ito any issues with it. I was really skeptical about upgrading to Windows 8.1 but I want new features like direct X 11.1/.2 in the future. I figure with the new generation of consoles coming out I might as well take the plunge into unfamiliar water now so that I am familiar with it. I hopefully didn't just waste$100 on something I won't like. I will report back when I get it installed. lets see how newegg does on there overnight shipping ; )

I wanted to install Win 8.1 on my son's gaming computer (currently Win 7) because of DX11.2 & BF4 but he won't let me.

Installed 8 on Friday, PPD dropped by 50K (180k->130k-). Installed 8.1 today, And some games are failing to load - BioShock infinite being one. Performance did increase for a few game benchmarks though (arkham city and civ5 both increased signifiantly).

Going back to Win7x64

Installed 8 on Friday, PPD dropped by 50K (180k->130k-). Installed 8.1 today, And some games are failing to load - BioShock infinite being one. Performance did increase for a few game benchmarks though (arkham city and civ5 both increased signifiantly).

Going back to Win7x64

When you go back to win 7 retest arkham city and civ5 and see what you get.

I did a fresh install from the get go. I had some performance issues, until I went to Gigabyte's website to get the drivers for my mob. Don't rely on Windows Update to get the latest drivers.

I would go a step further and say *never* download drivers from Windows update. Only Windows OS updates. Get hardware drivers from the manufacturer's web site.

Also, to reduce number of headaches, make sure to update programs and drivers *before* installing 8.1 over existing 8.0.

Last edited:
My wife just called me to say my copy of Windows showed up 30 minutes after I left for work... So, I have 13 hours before I get off work and by then I'm going straight to sleep... Newegg next day delivery and was not worth the extra $9 now...

Hopefully the transition is smooth and I'm not sold on the classic shell idea because its still a beta.

<3 Start8, sure it was $5 (well $4 on a deal), it's almost exactly like Windows 7, Classic Shell took some twerking to get it to look like Win 7's.

PS- still waiting for Steelseries to release a fixed Steelseries Engine for 8.1 for my Sensei... *twiddlethumbs* Funny that my Xai has zero issues.

<3 Start8, sure it was $5 (well $4 on a deal), it's almost exactly like Windows 7, Classic Shell took some twerking to get it to look like Win 7's.

PS- still waiting for Steelseries to release a fixed Steelseries Engine for 8.1 for my Sensei... *twiddlethumbs* Funny that my Xai has zero issues.

Twerking... Someone has something else on their mind, other than computers. :)

Is there a old windows file that can be deleted after updating to 8.1?

Last edited:
There should be a Windows.old file in your System drive. You can delete this. But better still, use Disk Cleanup.

Back