• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Today is the day: Windows 8.1 is out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:) I suppose I could try to see their ways if perhaps I could understand why a store bought retail Windows 8 key would not work and a key freely available to everyone would.

In the mean time, crazy ride with Microsoft Windows continues until we get a worthy competitor and all jump ship. Someone please correct my notes here if they are wrong:

Windows 8.1 cannot be initially installed using an official retail Windows 8 key.

Use the following Microsoft-provided key
GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9
to initially install Windows 8.1 Professional.

After completing Windows 8.1 installation, change the Microsoft-provided installation key to your own Windows 8 key.

Do so from DOS Command Promt using command:
slui 3

or

Method 1:
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
In the search box, type Slui.exe 0x3
Tap or click the Slui.exe 0x3 icon
Type your product key in the Windows Activation window, and then click on Activate.

Method 2:
Run the following command at an elevated command prompt:
Cscript.exe %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk 1-2-3

(where 1-2-3 is your product key)

friend did an 8.1 upgrade, killed his rig basically

cpu usage went to %50 steady
then only metro screen would show, nothing else...

Seems maybe this upgrade path wasnt well tested..

In the mean time, crazy ride with Microsoft Windows continues until we get a worthy competitor and all jump ship.
I hope you're in store for a long, long ride. Microsoft didn't get to where they are today by releasing awful products. :)

Someone please correct my notes here if they are wrong:

Windows 8.1 cannot be initially installed using an official retail Windows 8 key.

Use the following Microsoft-provided key
to initially install Windows 8.1 Professional.

After completing Windows 8.1 installation, change the Microsoft-provided installation key to your own Windows 8 key.

Do so from DOS Command Promt using command:
slui 3

or

Method 1:
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
In the search box, type Slui.exe 0x3
Tap or click the Slui.exe 0x3 icon
Type your product key in the Windows Activation window, and then click on Activate.

Method 2:
Run the following command at an elevated command prompt:
Cscript.exe %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk 1-2-3

(where 1-2-3 is your product key)

Alternatively, you can open the Control Panel -> System and Security -> system, (or right click 'This PC' and click properties), click 'Change Product Key,' which is the less 'hacky' way to do it, and probably the way Microsoft intended for it to be done.

In any event, I agree that it would be nice if you could install 8.1 with an 8.0 product key from the get-go. It was probably just an oversight that will get addressed in due time.

I did the upgrade path. I had no issues and from what i could tell this was a straight forward install. I havent tested a fresh install yet and Im hoping that i dont run into this issue with having to change product keys. I know when I grabbed the ISO images I need only use my retail key. I dont see why ones legitimately purchased key shouldnt work for 8.1. Seems kinda clunky to force you to use some generic key then change after install. What was interesting is after i downloaded the iso it even displayed 'my' key and said to be sure to copy and use it during the install.
<shrug>

Z

I also had no issues, and to clarify there are no change key issues when you upgrade. We were talking about a fresh install. For a fresh 8.1 install from scratch, you cannot use your own key.

I'd say that if it is an option for people, nuke your OS partition and do a fresh 8.1 install with Microsoft-provided key

Then change to your own key.
Right click on This PC > Change Product Key
or
Windows 8.1 Control Panel > System and Security > System > Change Product Key

Fresh install would avoid potential problems. After upgrading, if you did any kind of customizations, chances are that modifications will be reset. So then why spend time redoing your customizations on an upgrade, I would do a fresh 8.1 install and set everything up from scratch, with nothing from before interfering and causing problems.

It's obvious Microsoft did some work on 8.1. This is not a simple quick Service Pack patch where nothing big changes afterwards...

Thanks.

Are there there 8.1 ISO's on MSDN or other official sources that allow installation of 8.1 using a retail bought 8.0 key?

So let me get this straight, this is crazy, I have a store bought Retail 8.0 and if I am installing from scratch, I would want to install 8.1 of course. Using my own store bought key. It's absolutely mental that I would have to go out looking for a leaked key just to install it - then go messing with changing an illegitimate 8.1 key to my own retail 8.0 key.

Whoever thought of that needs to tend to wildlife in Alaska and leave the computer software business altogether. :(

It seems that you are not aware that all retail copies of Windows 8 are for "Upgrades" only and not for new installs. If you want to do a fresh install your best bet is to get an OEM copy.

It seems that you are not aware that all retail copies of Windows 8 are for "Upgrades" only and not for new installs. If you want to do a fresh install your best bet it to get an OEM copy.
Seriously? That is lame.

I never liked the upgrade/full versions of the operating system that they had in the past, but doing away with the full version seems like the wrong thing to do.

Seriously? That is lame.

I never liked the upgrade/full versions of the operating system that they had in the past, but doing away with the full version seems like the wrong thing to do.

Yeah I ran into this a couple weeks ago when I built my new rig. Got a retail copy from the microsoft store even and the key wouldn't work. Had to get a refund, thankfully it was super easy, and then go get an OEM copy from microcenter.

I also had no issues, and to clarify there are no change key issues when you upgrade. We were talking about a fresh install. For a fresh 8.1 install from scratch, you cannot use your own key.

I'd say that if it is an option for people, nuke your OS partition and do a fresh 8.1 install with Microsoft-provided key

Then change to your own key.
Right click on This PC > Change Product Key
or
Windows 8.1 Control Panel > System and Security > System > Change Product Key

Fresh install would avoid potential problems. After upgrading, if you did any kind of customizations, chances are that modifications will be reset. So then why spend time redoing your customizations on an upgrade, I would do a fresh 8.1 install and set everything up from scratch, with nothing from before interfering and causing problems.

It's obvious Microsoft did some work on 8.1. This is not a simple quick Service Pack patch where nothing big changes afterwards...

I concur. I'll test this at some point but so far all is well and again as stated. this NOT just a 'simple' Service Pack. I even freed up about 5 gigs of space from the 8.0 install.

Z

Me too, Zuzzz.

We need to clarify one thing, can Windows 8.1.iso created as posted above, be used to make a fresh install on an empty partition using key

followed by changing that key to your own 8.0 key of course upon first boot?

It seems that you are not aware that all retail copies of Windows 8 are for "Upgrades" only and not for new installs. If you want to do a fresh install your best bet is to get an OEM copy.

Correct. With Win8 you have two licenses: Upgrade and System Builder (OEM & Personal Use). They did get rid of the traditional retail version license, but now they fall under Personal Use of the System Builder license which is basically the same thing.

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

With Win8.1 you can buy a retail license once again.

Just found the biggest problem I have with 8.1 so far. I use SkyDrive with Office 365, which works great. Went to upload a school assignment to our system and the file wasn't there. I browsed out to the folder where it should be, and the file isn't there. Using Office, I can see the file. I was a little confused until I realized that SkyDrive wasn't configured. Ok, easy enough.

Problem is, it requires you sign in with your Microsoft account on the computer. I use huge random passwords for everything, including this. That is a stupid requirement that I have to use a Microsoft account just to use SkyDrive.

Just found the biggest problem I have with 8.1 so far. I use SkyDrive with Office 365, which works great. Went to upload a school assignment to our system and the file wasn't there. I browsed out to the folder where it should be, and the file isn't there. Using Office, I can see the file. I was a little confused until I realized that SkyDrive wasn't configured. Ok, easy enough.

Problem is, it requires you sign in with your Microsoft account on the computer. I use huge random passwords for everything, including this. That is a stupid requirement that I have to use a Microsoft account just to use SkyDrive.

Apps in 8.1 has an option at the bottom left of the screen "Sign into each app separately", I've been doing it, glad it doesn't force me to log into a MS account for the whole computer.

Apps in 8.1 has an option at the bottom left of the screen "Sign into each app separately", I've been doing it, glad it doesn't force me to log into a MS account for the whole computer.
There was no option for it on the sign in page. It just forces you to convert.

EDIT: Created new account to show:

2013-10-24 11_11_33-SkyDrive.png

Last edited:
So far 8.1 was a disaster, attempted to update it in every possible way imaginable and it wouldn't take on my external flash drive I had been using.

Attempted a clean boot since the drive has the removable bit disabled and no go. At some point I'm going to try to re-install windows to go via the command prompt again to the external drive but I'm honestly debating whether it is worth it or not.

Part of me would rather just wait until I get a new MacBook but whatever:bang head

Just ranting.

So I upgraded my home server to Win 8.1 Pro from Win 7. The server is a very weak Pentium D system. I noticed that in Win 8.1 when I am doing nothing the 2 cores are utilised to near 100% all the time. I checked Task Manager and there didn't seem to be any virus, SpyWare or any programs I didn't recognize. I then reimaged back my old Win 7 image. In Win 7 the CPU was only utilised around 20% - 40% as opposed to near 100% in Win 8.1. Don't know why.

Back