• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Today is the day: Windows 8.1 is out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My guess is that past October 2015, all future updates (minor version updates as well as hotfixes, patches, etc) will require 8.1 or higher.

That is just simply not the case. This is not a matter of speculation. Updates for Windows 8.0 will officially be available until 2023 without any need to update to version 8.1 to get them.

That is just simply not the case. This is not a matter of speculation. Updates for Windows 8.0 will officially be available until 2023 without any need to update to version 8.1 to get them.

Sorry, but where is your official source for this? At this point I don't think there is a definitive answer. There's a few bits and pieces of documentation scattered around the Microsoft site, none of which really elaborates on their exact intentions, which is why I've merely been speculating, not claiming things as irrefutable fact.

I think when Microsoft refers to 'Windows 8 support,' they're referring to the Windows 8 platform, ie Windows 8, Windows 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, etc. The platform will be supported through 2023, but I'd put a small amount of money down that says in order to receive updates for your retail copy of 'Windows 8,' you will first have to update to Windows 8.1.

Again, I think 'Windows 8,' there, is describing 8.X, not just 8.0.
According to the link posted above:

Windows 8.1 will remain under the same lifecycle policy as Windows 8 with support ending 1/10/2023. Windows 8 customers will have 24 months to move to Windows 8.1 after the General Availability of the Windows 8.1 update in order to remain supported. See the Windows 8.1 FAQ for more information.

If 8.1 was a Service Pack then your concern would have been valid. They are officially calling it a separate product however.
Which is why I said that I think it's more of a hybrid product between the SP model and the traditional software model. If it were an entirely separate product, then going from 8 -> 8.1 would involve purchasing a separate product.

But all of this is neither here nor there. Like I've said, 8.1 added some key functionality to make an upgrade a no-brainer. I couldn't care less about official support from a non-commercial standpoint. I'm happy with 8.1 as it comes straight 'out of the box,' so to speak. No addons needed for me.

Last edited:
The term 'supported' refers to actual verbal/written support - not downloading updates.

I believe the Windows 8.x is operating under the 'service pack' model for the most part (obviously it isn't blatantly described that way, but that's what I gather from the way they've gone about it), and so this would apply:
Microsoft will provide security update support for a minimum of 10 years (through the Extended Support phase) for Business, Developer and Desktop Operating System products. The security updates will apply only to the supported service pack level for these products.

And here's a slightly different variant of what I quoted earlier, that is a bit more clear:
Windows 8 customers will have two years to move to Windows 8.1 after the General Availability of the Windows 8.1 update to continue to remain supported under the Windows 8 lifecycle.
I read this to mean, if you're not on 8.1 or above, then the Windows 8 life cycle does not apply.

and to further define what 'supported' means
Microsoft said:
An unsupported version of Windows will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update. These include security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software, which can steal your personal information. Windows Update also installs the latest software updates to improve the reliability of Windows—new drivers for your hardware and more.

So putting all of this together, I believe I'd win the bet. :)

As an aside, I just discovered the 'File History' option, so far I'm liking it.. much more intuitive and straightforward than the previous backup solutions that Windows offered.

Last edited:
It clears up that someone at Microsoft is not doing their job.

Whereas, for example, it is clear that Windows XP has one date after which you cannot download updates for it vs. WinXP+SP1 vs. WinXP+SP2 es evidenced here:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=1173

Windows 8.0 shows that date to be 2023:
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?c2=16796

Windows 8.1 has officially been released so someone is not justifying their salary by keeping the 2023 date on the official page if it is not correct.

I agree that it's a bit confusing at first glance, but piecing all the information together makes it apparent. Keep in mind that 8.1 just got released, there's bound to be confusion and misinformation. Plus, this style of the release model is not what MS is accustomed to, so their phrasing is a bit confusing.

'Windows 8', as described by the life cycle, is most likely inclusive of all minor releases (8.x), so support is valid until 2023, so long as you're on an acceptable GA release. It's really no different than most other support models for software, it doesn't make business sense to develop and release individual patches and updates for older versions of software that had their issues already corrected in a minor version release. Forcing everyone to the latest GA release reduces double work and cost for supporting a product.

I've dealt with dozens of applications and vendors (IBM, SAS, Oracle, to name a few) where if you open a support ticket and you're not in GA, the first thing they tell you to do is to upgrade. It's a similar situation here.

Side note, apparently Windows 7 home premium can't backup to NAS. I guess that gives me an excuse to put 8.1 on the wife's laptop now.

...but we go back to the point of there being a difference between support tickets and being able to download updates.

The linked page is the one official page for how long people can get updates for the most ubiquitous computer OS in the world. There should not be confusion, there should not be 'just released' excuse.

The page should have been updated if it is not correct. There is a person with a name responsible for that, and they have a superior too. If it turns out that 8.0 goes dark in 2015, that would not be good. Things are not the same after 8.0 > 8.1 move as far as already installed programs and settings go. We certainly need to spend a lot of time re-adjusting options, and I'd rather not do that having spent so much time making 8.0 perfect with the help of Classic Shell.

I will stick with Windows 7 till I DIE.

you probably said the same thing about XP and what ever OS before that.

You dont like windows 8 fine, dont like it, but bugger off and join th Vista hater group over there....

i love Vista and i love Windows 8, because i can look beyond Metro.

I had to re-install my Pax sound card software. Other than having to re-log in everywhere, no problems playing BO2 multi ffa...

Back