• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Today is the day: Windows 8.1 is out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What, why? If installed from scratch, what is worse in 8.1 vs 8.0?

Yes I did. Thank god it was a $100 gift card from work or I would have been really upset. The only good thing to come out of windows 8.1 is better bf4 performance.

I just hate the overall feel of it compared to windows 7. It makes me feel like I have a really fast tablet that isn't a touchscreen.

I've tried Win 8/8.1 on all the computers I use, both at home and at work. Besides a slightly different way of doing things, Win 8 is no different to Win 7. But for one reason or another all my computers have now reverted back to Win 7 x64. I didn't realize this until only yesterday.

I don't know why are using Windows 8 without Classic Shell then complaining about its UI.

http://www.classicshell.net/ makes Windows 8 identical to Windows 7 thereby taking away any complaints you may have about its interface. Holding SHIFT then clicking on the Start Button gives you the option to go to the original Windows 8 Tile Metro Interface. A lot of people never actually do that, never actually use Windows 8 in any other way than through the exact same User Interface that Windows 7 has, which Classic Shell installs.

My productivity drops 1000% if I use Windows 8 interface, so if there was no Classic Shell, we would have a problem, but with it, you get to have everything Windows 8 offers, whether you need it or not, all the while keeping the look of Windows 7 from the moment you boot in until you shut down.

You never have to see Windows 8 tiles, ever. Unless you hold SHIFT and click on the Start Button, and there is no need to do that. And if you do, just pressing ESC returns you to Windows 7-looking Windows 8.

So the only problem is spending 15 seconds installing Classic Shell freeware, which takes less time to do than it does to make a 'Windows 8 interface sucks' post ;).

So the only problem is spending 15 seconds installing Classic Shell freeware, which takes less time to do than it does to make a 'Windows 8 interface sucks' post ;).

^this = win

though I don't use classic shell I use something similar and it really is basicly win 7 with some new stuff...*goes away grumbling about how metro isn't all bad*

My gripe with windows is it seems to me they're trying to phase out desktops in favor of Aio touchscreens, tablets, and phones. Why should I the end user be forced to download a freeware program to get the features that should have been included for desktops in the first place.

I just do not like the direction Microsoft is heading and it may affect all of us desktop users in the end. Imagine what widows 9 will be like.... All voice activated with retinal detection for a mouse?

Back