• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TOP 10 TEAM !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I plan to bring the dual 2680v4 machine up with 50 cores dedicated to Rosetta, hopefully Monday. Need 2x cores each to feed the GPUs for folding. I also remembered I have a dual EC5549 Jasper Forest board lying around doing nothing. Will it be worth it at all? Those old suckers are pretty power hungry, but I can't see myself having any other use for it.

edit: I also added 6 cores on my 2620v3 yesterday so should see an output bump from that as well.

Those old boards fold well on Rosetta. You pretty much get points based on your cores and mhz it seems to be quite linear points wise.

Well it seems that the old Jasper Forest board is mortally wounded, can't even get post codes out of her. Anyone have a board(s) that will work with these old girls? I'll donate them to the cause.

Well it seems that the old Jasper Forest board is mortally wounded, can't even get post codes out of her. Anyone have a board(s) that will work with these old girls? I'll donate them to the cause.

In my experience, when boards don't work, its most often, power supply, video card, memory and sometimes the hard drive (in that order of most likely to fail). Any one of those can stop some boards cold with no beep codes even.

In my experience, when boards don't work, its most often, power supply, video card, memory and sometimes the hard drive (in that order of most likely to fail). Any one of those can stop some boards cold with no beep codes even.

Known good Zippy PSU. Integrated XGI Volari on the board. I guess I could pull some of the DIMMs and see what happens. No HDD even attached right now just to test.
OH YES! What kind of cpus do you have in that toy?

I would wager dual Sandy Bridge 2670s XD

Just in case anyone don't know this --> you can enter the advanced Rosetta screen by hitting ctrl+shift+A when the Rosetta app is in the foreground and the cursor is on the app.

I want more threads too !!! MORE MORE MORE.......

I wonder if a Xeon Phi co-processor like the Intel SC3120AIB Xeon Phi 3120A 6GB 1.1GHz 57 Core can be utilized by boinc for rosetta. If so, that would be a belated Christmas present to myself. ;)

Edit: just realized the Xeon Phi is a bit long-in-the-tooth, being EOL by 4+ years. :( Maybe should be looking at some socket LGA 3647 gear instead. More pricey...

Last edited:
Wow, so the AVX 512 extensions do make a very large difference for Rosetta. (Main machine is currently running 2680v4 Broadwells) I've got a dual 4109T SBC I can swap in, might see what difference that makes, if any in core/watt/production. I do have some spare dual 6126 boards that are going to be coming home from test soon that we won't be able to sell because of the potential destructive nature of the testing....

I'll probably only be able to get 2 of them running at any given time, though. The brass at the office don't care per se, they just don't want it obvious.

Back