• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TOP 10 TEAM !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lost one of my 4p machines (25k lost). The power cable melted where it attaches to the main board.

I don't know yet if its permanent damage or something that can be fixed. But there is
quite a bit of melted plastic around the connector. I assume the PS is toast.

I wanna see pics of the carnage.

What size, model and age was your PSU?

PSU was about 3 years old, 750 watts. I assume some wire shorted out and then overheated.

Keep an eye on your rigs, this one showed no signs of problems and then this. ARgh

Attachments

• melting2.jpg
    melting2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 163
  • melting3.jpg
    melting3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Lost one of my 4p machines (25k lost). The power cable melted where it attaches to the main board.

I don't know yet if its permanent damage or something that can be fixed. But there is
quite a bit of melted plastic around the connector. I assume the PS is toast.

Was there any pretty lights and smoke?? :) Just to be on the safe side, I would check the CPU's and VRM's. You don't know if a power spike hit the system. If so, it could have easily taken out 1 OR MORE CPU's, 1 OR MORE Sticks of RAM, and the VRM Section.
I would test the CPUs 1 at a time along with the memory.

I have that exact PSU running my folding rig. It powers the HDDs and the extra 6pin-8pin power connections on the video cards. I'll have to shut down and go over that PSU very carefully :)
Thanks for the heads up :thup:

It looks to me that the short happened outside the board, melted the insulation and then shorted the wires off.

I will check each cpu and memory to be sure they are working properly. That's assuming it will even power up at all.

Most of the black was just melted insulation and cleaned up in a minute. Two of the plugins were fused inside the power connector s on the mobo
but I managed to get them out fairly easily. I will have to clean the contacts well.

Not sure I want to risk a new PSU on this possibly damaged board....have to think about that....maybe repair the damaged wires on the old PSU and try that one.....hmmm

Maybe if I test the CPUs and memory first on another board that might tell me if anything internal to the mobo went so far as to damage those components.

We are back in the top 10 again!! YAY

Who do you know that can potential fix my board shown above? It won't boot and I am hoping its just some damaged pins but I don't have the ability to fix that and since the board is only worth $200 max, its not worth much fixing. But if it was something simple, that I could do or if you know someone who has the ability I would like to talk to them and see what they think. Thx.

We are back in the top 10 again!! YAY

Who do you know that can potential fix my board shown above? It won't boot and I am hoping its just some damaged pins but I don't have the ability to fix that and since the board is only worth $200 max, its not worth much fixing. But if it was something simple, that I could do or if you know someone who has the ability I would like to talk to them and see what they think. Thx.

The damage shown in the pic suggests potentially serious could have occurred throughout the board. That was a 4P Opty board- yes? There's a SuperMicro AMD H8DGI-F on ebay for $190, could get your RAC pumping like it used to. ;)

The damage shown in the pic suggests potentially serious could have occurred throughout the board. That was a 4P Opty board- yes? There's a SuperMicro AMD H8DGI-F on ebay for $190, could get your RAC pumping like it used to. ;)

That's only a 2 processor board, mine was 4. I'm sure there is someone around who could suggest some tests to determine if the plugins are toast or its something more serious like a component chip.

Edit: Here is a SuperMicro-H8QGi-F with 4 6128 Optys included.

At one time I lusted for a 4P Opty board for a folding rig, but CPU folding has been overshadowed by GPUs. My Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F is all I can afford, in a multiple processor rig nowadays.

Damn, that was tempting until I actually looked into how efficient those Optys are versus a modern sku like a Skylake-S. Just not worth it, really. =/

Last edited:
Back