• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torn Between A64 and XP-M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dragonprince said:
Not really. The only difference is remembering to set the HTT divider to keep it in line with what the chipset can handle. It's really quite simple and as easy to handle as OCing the P4 or XP's once you understand it. Just a couple more things to keep track of but it doesnt really qualify as "complicated".
ok, good to know. thx

I think the current state of CPUs is really sad for the cronic upgrader. I bought my Socket 754 Clawhammer 3200+ CG at the end of July and I've had it watercooled and running @ 2.4GHz + since day one. I see no reason to upgrade it now nor do I see a reason for upgrade in the near future. How does this rant apply to your situation roy_jones? Well, for the first time in a long time, a significant investment in a CPU will not be obsoleted as quickly as in the past. So, I say pick an Athlon 64 platform and sit on it for the next 6 months or more, like I have already and will be doing for the next six months or more. If you play games, well the same situation exists. If you buy a 6800 derivative, you'll be able to game for months. Everything is so damn powerful right now. You really don't have to worry about buyers remorse with just about any mainstream to high-end combination out there.

I am currently swtiching to a AMD64 3200+ with the MSI Neo 2 Palt. motherboard from my Mobile 2500+ overclocked to 2.6Ghz and hopefully will be able to OC the 3200+ between 3.4-2.6Ghz so I am hoping to see alittle difference even at stock performance it didn't cost me much sine I got a good deal on my old board and that so hopefully it iwll be worth it I'll let you know towards the end of the week when the stuff comes in

I think Every 1 that has a mobile , wants a a64 , right now if i buy one it is just caz i wanta play with ocing it =) (kinda sad) So i got new ram and desided to mess with this chip more =)
i noticed a big jump going up to 230 fsb from 200

I haven't read the entire thread, but I read the first few posts, and IMO I think you'd be better off getting a nice case, HD's, PSU etc. etc. with the XP-M. This way in the fututre, all you'll need is a new CPU and mobo. I love my XP-M and I can tell you, my 2600+ and 9800 Pro (running at XT speeds), has no trouble maintaining 100FPS on CSS. Anyways, that's my $.02 and ygpm.

Notorious Mike said:
For you gamers out there, http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=80152 you can get a retail winchester 3000+ and an occompanying motherboard starting at 265$. Comes with HL2, Farcry and 4 months of napster.
this is such a great link. thx alot man ! appreciate it. now i was wondering. how will the 3000+ compare to a 3200+ when it comes to overclocking. bit of a price dif. don't want to spend the extra cash unnecessarily ;)

Burnt_Ram said:
whats a decent/in-expensive heatsink for the 939's ? Monarch Computers gives you choices of some thermaltake ones with a pakage deal ? (yuck)

Decent and inexpensive, never really work for anything.

Get a XP-90. :)

Burnt_Ram said:
whats a decent/in-expensive heatsink for the 939's ? Monarch Computers gives you choices of some thermaltake ones with a pakage deal ? (yuck)
From their choices I'd pick the retail cpu with stock heatsink. Its only $1. more than the oem cpu.

i just "upgraded" to my current rig and so far, it's been very nice. running 222x9 for now cause the craptacular hs i bought just so i could install the chip....i get smoother game play but nothing that blew my old mobile barton or desktop barton setups out of the water....i just happened to find a good deal on mobo and chip so i figured what the hell?...until i had found the deal, i was gonna wait til the 2 qtr and see how everyone was feeling about nf4, etc.....

Thanks to all the people that responded to this thread. I got a better picture of the different options available for me. The problem I face is that I've got a firm budget for this system, and can't go two or three hundred bucks over- which I would definitely be tempted to do for the benefit of a 939 system.

The way it looks right now, if I go with an XP-M based system, there are some secondary costs I could potentially cut, such as RAM (still trying to understand exactly what I could get away with in such a system). With a 939, it seems that I would be obligated to pick up TCCD, which is going to be great RAM, but is also top of the line, and there's the associated price increase. Being that the 939's are multiplier locked, and I'd be looking at a 3000+, I'd have to pony up for the chance at hitting a high FSB. I know that regardless of what system you're looking at, you're going to want to push the FSB to the max, irregardless- but it'd be nice to have a bit of a safety net.

There was the suggestion that I just try to downgrade on the computer and MB, and try and keep everything else suited for a A64 upgrade in the near future. There are a couple of problems I see with this:

First, wouldn't I need a super-powered PSU, like the Fortron 530 or the OCZ with the 939? I still would need a good PSU, but could maybe get away with something a little less powerful, and possibly less expensive, with an XP system? Those are more rhetorical questions, in a way, as I'm sure these issues have been beat to death, and I'm more than willing to go back and look for some of the already-existing answers to these questions.

If I go with the expensive RAM, but don't intend to upgrade the CPU/MB for atleast a year...it starts to become a question of whether I'd be better off to get something more value-oriented now, and then upgrade the RAM with the CPU/MB.

Jarhead7236 said:
i just "upgraded" to my current rig and so far, it's been very nice. running 222x9 for now cause the craptacular hs i bought just so i could install the chip....i get smoother game play but nothing that blew my old mobile barton or desktop barton setups out of the water....i just happened to find a good deal on mobo and chip so i figured what the hell?...until i had found the deal, i was gonna wait til the 2 qtr and see how everyone was feeling about nf4, etc.....
kool, not a big diff from your barton tho huh. what speed was your barton running ?

to roy_jones:
As far as RAM, its kindof a tough call on whether you want to go with value and AXP now or performance now for A64 later. I think that more depends on your funds and your specific upgrade path/timeframe as even if you get nice RAM now with an average AXP system you can easily migrate it to A64.

For PSU, AXP doesn't seem to require as much muscle as s939's so it will probably be ok. I have an Antec true power 430w and it does well in the rig in my sig but I've heard of a few people trying to use that particular PSU in their winchester rig and were really dissapointed. So I say if you're upgrading the PSU right now ANYWAY, you might as well make it a good one. My favorite are the OCZ's because they are very powerful (even the 420w), have adjustable rails, and all the necessary connections for a PCI-Express setup when you go that route. SVC.com has some decent deals on the OCZ powerstreams right now, the 470w catches my eye because it has the same amps on the 12v rail as the 520 but for less $$. Its all up to you though;)

baberpervez said:
Just deleted it from the sig since the mod would turn on me.

Previous Comp:
Athlon XP 2200+ at 2.3 Ghz.
how did u get yr XP2200+ to do that speed? as u can see my sig, thats tha best i could do w/ tha 2400+. but i got a 2200+ in another system that not running.

Back