• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

troubles with my new mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kozmicblu

Registered
So i recently got an asus extreme viii z170 and when i went to put the thing together it would start, the motherboard lights come on but when i hit the power button on the mobo nothing happens, ive sent 2 motherboards back to newegg and am getting another either today or tomrrow, does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?
here are the system specs
asus viii extreme z170
cpu core i7 6700k
memory kingston hx424c15fbk4/32 2400mhz
video card gtx 980
ssd: ocz rd400
power supply corsair ax 1200

im also exchanging the memory for a quad set of kingston predator 3000mhz memory.
any thoughts would be greatly aprecaited as im currently hitting my head against the wall as to why this thing wont start. i put my old pc back together and it works perfectly fine

i cant get the computer to boot, if im lucky ill get it to turn on. i have to repeatedly remove the battery from the mobo and hope the computer will turn on. Ive only gotten the computer to boot up once. when its on it works. i installed windows 10 on it, and then shut it down. the thing would not restart. no matter what i did. it has power. so i dont know whats going on

As Luta said, start at minimum requirements. Set mobo on cardboard box, reseat cpu, plug in one stick of ram, and psu. When you say you put the old pc back together, did you use the same psu to eliminate that as an issue?
Board should have igpu and harddrive won't be needed to get to bios, can eliminate them too to see if it boots.

yes im using the same psu for both builds

- - - Updated - - -

i also did try removing the video card and only used 1 stick of ram, nothing still

As others have said, put together a bare bones build outside the case. No video card, one stick of RAM. And try each stick of RAM individually in each RAM slot you have been using. If none of this makes any difference, I would be suspecting a bad CPU? Have you used this CPU successfully in another build or is it brand new?

Last edited:
as far as i can tell, evertything seems to be pretty snugg, none of the socket pins were bent when i took the cpu out to send it back to newegg.
my old pc consists of an asus maximus 4 extreme, core i7 2600k 8 gigs corsair ddr3. intel ssd 320 and a gtx 980. when i put it back together it works perfectly fine, its just this new one thats giving me troubles

yah it does have 2 bios's on it. i tried swtichting to the other, but nothing happened as well. ill look more into that when i get the new board. pullin my hair out at this point.

I d/l'ed the manual for that board....there are many buttons/jumpers/switches. It might be worthwhile to just snuggle in a comfy chair and read. You'll have the board right there to check/set anything as you go along....something we can't do ;)

also, you say you installed win10.
Did you install it with only one drive attached to this motherboard?
did you do the install on this motherboard or are you trying to move a windows installation from the old board to this board?

i installed windows 10 with only one drive, its all im using in this build, didnt think that would be a problem

windows is very sloppy and if you have two drives attached on install it sometimes installs some on the second drive and that will drive you nuts.

I'm starting to lean towards a cpu issue.
is someone near you that you can swap cpus with?

no but theres a place a few blocks down where i think i might be able to get the cpu tested, its a brand new cpu which is why i didnt think the cpu would be an issue

Back