• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

troubles with my new mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im hoping it will work, i havent recieved the new mobo from newegg yet tho. The techs at asus were leaning towards a corrupted bios, and wanted me to update the bios, but i couldnt even get the mobo to swtich on, so how would i be able to update the bios when it wont even power on

Since you tried two motherboards and memory kits and your PSU is working fine I would RMA the CPU.

so i put everything back together last night, pc still wouldnt boot, only 1 stick of ram, still wouldnt boot. tried this morning started up once gave error code 99 and havent been able to power it back on. any thoughts would be appreciated

no i havent tried to rma the cpu yet, should intry flashing to the newest bios first or should i just rma the cpu

so im at my buddies at house and he is heating the area around the mobo up with a heat gun and the computer starts right up, it wont start up at normal temprature, any thoughts?

Ya hauled all'o yer stuff to a bud's place....try using his PSU?
Yer bud got a Z170 board?....try yer proc in that?
Ya got it started at his place...ya re-flash the bios?
Thought earlier in this thread you were gonna test the proc at a place nearby...?
If ya just keep jumpin' around without being methodical, I'd not expect ya to gain any joy.

Last edited:
he has a psu tester plus he had a case for me so i just decided to take everything over there

- - - Updated - - -

gonna rma the cpu monday, im just wondering why the pc would actually switch on when then the area around the cpu is heated, makes no sense to me

I fail to see the need to rma the cpu. Tech 101, be methodical in your troubleshooting, otherwise, you"ll have no idea where the problem lies.

he has a psu tester plus he had a case for me so i just decided to take everything over there

- - - Updated - - -

gonna rma the cpu monday, im just wondering why the pc would actually switch on when then the area around the cpu is heated, makes no sense to me

When you heat the CPU it changes things in the CPU only when heated do to expansion.

When you heat the CPU it changes things in the CPU only when heated do to expansion.

This. Causes something in the chip circuitry to make better contact. Or maybe increases electrical resistance in some component that needs a certain amount to function properly but was out of spec from the factory.

koz, have you checked the underside of the CPU to make sure there is not something contaminating the contacts like TIM that would prevent good contact with the socket pins?

Last edited:
as far as i can tell, the cpu is well seated in its socket, the cpu retention mechanism on that board seems unusually tight, so i doubt its a contact problem

as far as i can tell, the cpu is well seated in its socket, the cpu retention mechanism on that board seems unusually tight, so i doubt its a contact problem

I wasn't asking about the force or stability of the seating, I was asking about contamination by foreign a foreign substance on the underside of the CPU.

Back