• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to find a cooler compatible with high-profile ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ohferfuxsake

Relevant components:
  1. Biostar TA790GXB A2+ motherboard
    13-138-143-TS
  2. OCZ Reaper RAM
    20-227-289-TS
  3. CORSAIR CAFA70 120mm CPU Cooler
    35-181-011-Z01
  4. Scythe KAZE 120mmx12mm Case Fan
    35-185-060-06.jpg
(edit- sorry if I went a little image happy here)

I'm getting ready to overhaul my system and my first step is getting a better cooler. I've read a lot of good things about coolers like the Corsair and similar models from Thermaltake, but a number of posters have cautioned against trying to use this model or ones like it if your memory has any sort of fins or cooling device. Given what I have in my system, is this style of cooler not going to work for me? Has anybody managed to make this work with a similar mobo/ram combination? If not, can someone make some first-hand recommendations for me? Also, my case has a 120mm fan directly behind the cpu and a 140mm fan directly above it. Could I run this cooler without the attached fans and rely on the case fans to provide airflow?

Newegg currently has the CAFA50 (essentially the same cooler but with only one fan) on sale and with a $20 rebate, bringing the price under $10, so I'm wondering if I could make this cooler work if I were to get a couple of the thinner Scythe fans. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the deluge of questions. And images. :p

The Corsair cooler you are looking at is a good cooler, but it definitely has ram clearance problems. When I tested it for review, I noticed it came very close to the first ram slot on my LGA1366 board, which has greater spacing between the socket and the ram slots than the AM2 and AM3 boards I've seen. Instead of the A70, I would recommend the Thermalright True Spirit (new revision) instead, Very good performance and it's pretty inexpensive, plus gives much better ram clearance.

Back