• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get my ram higher than 2666mhz and stable on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevintuna

Registered
Hi there!

I recently built my first gaming rig, was loads of fun. Guess ill start with my specs.

Asus prime z370-a mobo ( my ram is on the supported list for this mobo )
gtx 1080ti ftw3
G.skill trident 3600mhz
Timing 16-16-16-36
CAS Latency 16

Everything went pretty smoothly except my ram speed. I made sure I bought samsung b-die ram, assuming it would be easier to get it to it's rated speed ( i was wrong har har). I've probably spent 10-12 hours tweaking with the settings and nothing has been fully stable. XMP won't boot at all for me. I've updated the mobo bios. I had it set to 3000mhz, and everything else was set to auto. I was getting random blue screen's of death after gaming for an hour or more, and it turns out it was setting my system agent voltage and my VCCIO to like 1.3, and my DRAM voltage to 1.4, which was causing me to have memory errors.

I'm now at 2666mhz, 1.35DRAM voltage, and 1.1 VCCIO, 1.1 system agent voltage and I'm completely stable.

Since I bought 3600mhz ram, I was hoping to at least be able to utilize it and get it to 3200mhz. I've never tinkered with the timings, I've always left them auto, I don't know if that's what I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be sooooooooo appreciated!

If you want any screen shots of anything, let me know.

This is the ram kit

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...232437&cm_re=3600_ddr4-_-20-232-437-_-Product

here's pictures of my current bios set up

Last edited:
The link brings me to a 404. Is the memory on ASUS' QVL list? If its the kit I think it is, it should be...

Run optimized defaults then memtest that ram and see if it has errors. What does ASUS have to say about it if it is on the QVL list?

You can try to manually set the 4 major timings and voltage and see if it boots.

The link brings me to a 404. Is the memory on ASUS' QVL list? If its the kit I think it is, it should be...

Run optimized defaults then memtest that ram and see if it has errors. What does ASUS have to say about it if it is on the QVL list?

You can try to manually set the 4 major timings and voltage and see if it boots.

I just edited the link, sorry about the bad link. I just added some pictures to original post as well.

It is on ASUS' QVL list, and I called ASUS, they told me the problem was that my CPU is only geared for 2666mhz, so I'd have to OC my CPU to go any higher, and they can't give me any advice to do that.

( I don't really think they knew what they were talking about, but neither do I )

I haven't really touched the timings at all ever, because I'm really confused by it. I see people posting 4 numbers, like 15-15-15-38 for example, and in my bios ( see one of the pictures ), I only see 3 numbers to change in the top portion of DRAM settings, for example, 16-18-38.

I'm going to guess not manually setting the timings is where I'm failing here.

As ED stated, manually setting timings and voltage cures many memory issues. Look at some of the sigs here or in Intel CPU's and see what others are doing with those 8600 CPU's.

Is there like a list of timings I can try out for my specific ram to run at certain speeds?

Id be floored if that CPU couldn't manage 3600 MHz memory in 2x8GB...

I'd run Memtest on them with the speeds to platform defaults and see if it throws any errors. If it does, RMA time.

Id be floored if that CPU couldn't manage 3600 MHz memory in 2x8GB...

I'd run Memtest on them with the speeds to platform defaults and see if it throws any errors. If it does, RMA time.

I'll try to figure out a memtest, but i'm almost positive the ram is fine and I've just got the bios/timings all wrong.

I actually originally bought 3200mhz g.skill trident rgb ram that was hynix and I returned it ( couldnt get that any higher than 2666 either ), thinking the 3600mhz samsung ram would work automatically with XMP profile. I was wrong.

It should work at XMP though... if it sets too high voltage on XMP for SA/IO, manually set it after enabling it in the bios (just change it, then save).

Try manually setting it to the right voltage (DRAM, SA, IO) and using those four major timings. I don't recall off hand what they are called, but look at CPUz and see their names. They will match up, and be right at the top if I am not mistaking.

It should work at XMP though... if it sets too high voltage on XMP for SA/IO, manually set it after enabling it in the bios (just change it, then save).

Try manually setting it to the right voltage (DRAM, SA, IO) and using those four major timings. I don't recall off hand what they are called, but look at CPUz and see their names. They will match up, and be right at the top if I am not mistaking.

I'm extremely confused where to find the fourth major timing in the DRAM timings, there's only 3 obvious timings. I've tried looking in CPUz and was still confused. I posted a picture of my DRAM timing bios, can you check that out and see if I'm crazy?

I'm off to try XMP and check what SA/IO voltages it puts it at. I've never had it boot on XMP so far.

Screencaps on imgur? Oh boy... :p

DRAM CAS = CAS Latency(CL)
DRAM RAS to CAS Delay = RAS to CAS Delay(tRCD)
DRAM RAM ACR Time = Cycle Time (tRAS)

Not sure where the 4th is... try those 3 and see.

Screencaps on imgur? Oh boy... :p

DRAM CAS = CAS Latency(CL)
DRAM RAS to CAS Delay = RAS to CAS Delay(tRCD)
DRAM RAM ACR Time = Cycle Time (tRAS)

Not sure where the 4th is... try those 3 and see.

No boot up on XMP, changed S/A and VCCIO to 1.1, and tried 1.2, still no boot. Here's pictures of what the BIOS looks like when NOT booting on xmp.

You said no to the Multi Core Enhancement Question when you enabled, XMP, yes?

Never tried that before, just tried it no. Now go :( I'd pretty much do anything at this point to figure this out lol so much time invested.

are you running the latest bios available? heres a asus kabylake ocing guide that may help. if manually setting up the timings doesnt work im not much help :(

are you running the latest bios available? heres a asus kabylake ocing guide that may help. if manually setting up the timings doesnt work im not much help :(

I am on the latest bios available.

Don't see the link to the guide but I may be replying too fast here lol.

I think the issue is I'm not manually settings the timings correctly, but I'm such a noob, no real idea lol

Set you voltage manually to slightly over default: 1.355. It's perfectly safe to do so.

I am on the latest bios available.

Don't see the link to the guide but I may be replying too fast here lol.

I think the issue is I'm not manually settings the timings correctly, but I'm such a noob, no real idea lol

To run 3600 memory on Z370 you don't have to change anything. Simply enable XMP profile and it should work. If it's not then check other BIOS or change main memory timings to +1 ( like when it's 16-16-16 then try 17-17-17 and tWCL 17 ).

Neither worked =(

Really don't know what in BIOS is causing the issue. I'm sure it's something fairly straight forwarded and I'm just missing it. Hopefully someone can see something in the pictures I posted.

Back