• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get my ram higher than 2666mhz and stable on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kevin,

Perhaps it's time to start over and reset BIOS to defaults but set your RAM and CPU voltages at default manually. Did you run Memtest of your RAMs as ED suggested?

Everything in the pics looks OK. Try doing an F5 reset to defaults, save and reboot. Then set the XMP, check DRAM voltage is set to 1.35V and reboot.

Kevin,

Perhaps it's time to start over and reset BIOS to defaults but set your RAM and CPU voltages at default manually. Did you run Memtest of your RAMs as ED suggested?

ran memtest and everything was all good. Playing around with voltages, I have got it to boot at 3000mhz, at 1.35DRAM voltage, 1.1 system agent, and 1.1 VCCIO.

I've tried increasing all of those voltages a little bit and tried booting at 3200, 3600, 3066mhz, and none would boot.

My DRAM timings have stayed at auto during all of this, I've never really tinkered with timings, as within my exact mobo bios I'm not sure what should be changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Everything in the pics looks OK. Try doing an F5 reset to defaults, save and reboot. Then set the XMP, check DRAM voltage is set to 1.35V and reboot.

Just tried this, no go. Was able to boot at 3000mhz.

You can try setting XMP and drop the frequency to 3200 reboot then 3400 reboot then try 3600 maybe your board is having an issue with ram training. I would also try running the sticks seperately one at a time in slot 2 maybe one of them won't hit XMP reliably
It is possible that your CPU IMC won't do 3600 but don't think I have run into this before with CFL

You can try setting XMP and drop the frequency to 3200 reboot then 3400 reboot then try 3600 maybe your board is having an issue with ram training. I would also try running the sticks seperately one at a time in slot 2 maybe one of them won't hit XMP reliably
It is possible that your CPU IMC won't do 3600 but don't think I have run into this before with CFL

I got it to boot with XMP on and ram set to 3000. This is the first time I've ever got the PC to boot with XMP enabled. Nothing over 3000 would boot though :( got pretty excited when I got XMP to boot lol. I'll try the one stick of ram.

Im from Ontario myself, if there's any chance you're living next door, if you could pop over, that would be great :) cookies and milk shall be ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird new development, I cleared CMOS, and still didn't work. So I tied each ram individually, each ram will run to 3200 by itself. I've never gone faster than 3000 when using both at the same time. So one weird interesting thing, so as per the mother board, the ram goes in slots 1 and 3 of my mobo. I tried running both sticks of ram, and switching which ram was in slot 1 and which one was in slot 3. It will run at 3000 one way, but if I switch the ram which was in slot 3, and put that one in slot 1, both sticks wont post any faster than 2133. Unsure if I described this correctly? This seems very strange.

when you install 2 memory modules on this motherboard then you should start from B2/A2 so 2/4 slots counting from CPU side

Weird new development, I cleared CMOS, and still didn't work. So I tied each ram individually, each ram will run to 3200 by itself. I've never gone faster than 3000 when using both at the same time. So one weird interesting thing, so as per the mother board, the ram goes in slots 1 and 3 of my mobo. I tried running both sticks of ram, and switching which ram was in slot 1 and which one was in slot 3. It will run at 3000 one way, but if I switch the ram which was in slot 3, and put that one in slot 1, both sticks wont post any faster than 2133. Unsure if I described this correctly? This seems very strange.

When you ran each stick individually did you set default, then XMP, then when it did not boot you set the speed to 3200 to enable a boot on each stick? If you did all that and your other memory would not boot to 3200 with XMP, it is starting to sound like a weak IMC that will only allow 3000.

@kevin
Take some BIOS screenshots of the settings you are using ( F12 key if I'm right and put it on USB drive ). This way someone will faster tell you what to set or will find errors in settings.

When you ran each stick individually did you set default, then XMP, then when it did not boot you set the speed to 3200 to enable a boot on each stick? If you did all that and your other memory would not boot to 3200 with XMP, it is starting to sound like a weak IMC that will only allow 3000.

That's exactly what I did with the single stick, I put it in the correct slot as per the manual. Then I set it to default and got it to boot at 2133. Then I tried XMP and didn't boot on either. Then I tried 3200 and it booted on both. Then I tried 3300, 3400, 3500, and wouldn't boot on any of those. By weak IMC, what does that mean?

- - - Updated - - -

@Kevin
Take some BIOS screenshots of the settings you are using ( F12 key if I'm right and put it on USB drive ). This way someone will faster tell you what to set or will find errors in settings.

Will do this tomorrow when home. I did post all the specs of my bios with cell phone pictures in original post, though I know they aren't the clearest.

That's exactly what I did with the single stick, I put it in the correct slot as per the manual. Then I set it to default and got it to boot at 2133. Then I tried XMP and didn't boot on either. Then I tried 3200 and it booted on both. Then I tried 3300, 3400, 3500, and wouldn't boot on any of those. By weak IMC, what does that mean?
So you tried each stick individually with the process you outlined, not just one stick? IMC (integrated memory controller) in the processor. When using the tested XMP 3600 speed memory the stock Intel IMC is rated for 2666 speed and anything over that is overclocking the memory controller and is not guaranteed. From G.SKILL "Additional Notes Rated XMP frequency & stability depends on MB & CPU capability."

With XMP only at the memory speed 3000 what does Vccsa Vccio show in HWiNFO?

Another strange development, turns out myself and Johan live ridiculously close to one another, were going to link up and he's going to try to help me out. What are the odds! Glad I posted here lol.

Last edited:
Jonah, lol!

You couldn't be in any better hands kevin. I'm certain he'll get to the bottom of this for you and cut through all the confusion. :)

Jonah, lol!

You couldn't be in any better hands kevin. I'm certain he'll get to the bottom of this for you and cut through all the confusion. :)

Definitely, what are the chances though! Were talking a very small town/city. Definitely made my day.

Another strange development, turns out myself and Johan live ridiculously close to one another, were going to link up and he's going to try to help me out. What are the odds! Glad I posted here lol.

so you have a moose in your garden too ?

Post back how it works out.

Back