• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to make my phenom 965BE to 3.8ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobpogoman

as the title says, im trying to make my cpu to 3.8 ghz, im at 3.7 1hour prime-95 stable, but as soon as i try going to 3.8, my pc crash (blue screen) even if i put the vcore of the cpu higher...

here are my setup and settings:

Antec 902 tower
Asus crosshair iii formula mobo
Amd 965 BE 140w cpu
Ocz plat 1600mhz ram
2x 750gb WD caviar black in raid-0 HDD
Ocz vendetta 2 Cpu cooler
Ati radeon 4890 vid card

here is some bios settings that are 1-hour stable.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

My maximum cpu temp is at 49 celsius under load, and NB temp is 38celsius max.

im using a cpu core voltage of 1.4v in bios, but on everest its right for the idle, but when i run prime95, it goes up to 1.44-1.45v. i tried to put the voltage in bios to 1.45v (to get 1.5v under load) but @ 3.8ghz the computer crashes.

i read a lot of different oc builds, and read the guide o this forum, the NB clock should be 2400mhz with 1.25v to be stable at 3.8ghz, im using a nb of 2600mhz @ 1.30v and its stable @ 3.7ghz

Set Cpu Voltage to 1.425.

Set Dram Command Rate to 2T.

Set Ram timings to 8, 8, 8, 29.

Set CPU/NB Frequencey to 2200Mhz.

Set Cpu Voltage to 1.425.

Set Dram Command Rate to 2T.

Set Ram timings to 8, 8, 8, 29.

Set CPU/NB Frequencey to 2200Mhz.

Just cranked the multiplier to 19x an put settings as you said, strted prime95 blend test then gone in shower for 15mins when j was back computer has reeboted, im pretty sure its a blue screen again... Any ideas?

I really don't know of any overclocking process that is not trial and error. So I would up the Vcore again since the general idea is that the cpu needs voltage to become stable when we are over-speeding it.

Bios pictures are a good idea but there are other captures that are just as much needed when you sit at the keyboard and we view from very much afar.

Pictures can speak volumes describing what is going on.

Using screen capture software capture the CPU-z image at the CPU button; the Memory button and the
SPD button. The buttons are across the top of the CPU-z window. The Mainboard button can also be used and will show the bios version in case one wanted to check the motherboard bios being up to date.
NOTE: I never capture the whole monitor but only the CPU-z window at each button so that the dang image is not so...so ginormous.

This is link to HWmonitor and as shown on the screen; you would also check the cpu plus (+) so that the core temps of the cpu would be shown. With an AMD cpu we certainly need to see the core temps at least the later AMD cpus.

Download site for Prime95 with some "how to's" included. Prime 95 can be used to stress a system and with HWMonitor opened a temp log will be kept to see if temps get out of hand during or at the time of a failure of P95, if such does occur because of an unstable configuration.

Okay I have not been looking for a screen capture tool but wish many would use some with window capture instead of the whole screen. This proggie comes highly recommended. 4 Capture Modes: Window, Region, Scrolling and Full Screen. I normally use Window or Region so the whole dang screen is not captured and makes the image so dang large. I save capture to .jpg so files are smaller in general.

NOTE: Win7 also has the inbuilt "snipping" tool that can capture just a specific window of the screen so that the entire desktop is not captured.

NOTE 2: Please attach captures to the forum itself so we do not have to travel on a link to some outside site. Thanks man.

Here is what the 3 CPUz tab captures and the capture of HWMonitor could and should look like for neatness and ease of viewing for those that might wish to help with overclocking etc.

attachment.php

same system more or less..
200x19
nb 2400
mem1333
mine takes 1.3875 with llc on..
my cpu/nb is at 1.2
sure like to see your cpu-z tabs

One issue here is his 965 CPU, according to his first post info, is the C2 140W version. It will just not overclock as well as the C3 125W version.

bobpogoman, please post the pics of CPU-z that Rgone requested. We need pics of tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". These pics will tell us loads about your system and its settings. A pic is still worth a 1000 words. To capture desktop images for attachment with your posts, use "Snipping Tool" in Windows Accessories to frame, crop and save the images to disk. To upload them with your post, click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced Post Window appears, go to the top and click on the paperclip tool. This will cause the file browser/uploader tool to pop up and the rest will be obvious. Please do not attach pics of the entire desktop. Please attach the images you capture as individual images. You can upload as many as three per post. If you capture the entire desktop the relevant images shrink down so small we sometimes can't read the values contained in the images.

Also, try your CPUNB frequency at 2500 with the CPUNB voltage at 1.23. Make sure your HT Link frequency is not exceeding 2000 mhz.

Disable Extreme OV and Load-Line Calibration. These two could be why you're seeing such drastic voltage differences between what you set it to in bios and what it shows in Wndows reporting software under load. After you do this you will need to readjust your CPU voltage, probably in an upward direction, to compensate that the bios is no longer adding voltage offsets from the Extreme OV and Load-Line Calibration technologies. You will need to open HWMonitor and then run a Prime95 for a couple of minutes to see what the voltage under load settles down to.

Make sure you have Cool N Quiet and C1E disabled. Go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the motherboard is shutting down to protect itself because it's rated for 140w and he's going over that with the overclock?

As RGone said, every individual chip OC differently. I have two 955 BE on two virtually identical systems. One will OC easily to 4.0 while the other barely made it to 3.8.

I suspect you might be nearing the wall on that particular chip. When nearing the wall you'll notice that you'll need a huge, disproportionate, increase in voltage before it become stable. To get one of my 955 BE to be stable at 3.8 (from 3.6) I had to increase voltage from 1.38 to 1.51 (done incrementally). This resulted in a huge increase in temp and system noise as a byproduct. So I choose to run this chip at 3.6.

here are the pictures of cpu-z unstable @ 3.8 ghz, i will try with cpunb of 2500mhz and voltage at 1.23, my ht is already @ 2000mhz, then ill report, ill also disable LLC and extreme ov.

Attachments

• Capture cpuz.PNG
    Capture cpuz.PNG
    39.3 KB · Views: 891
here are the pictures of cpu-z unstable @ 3.8 ghz, i will try with cpunb of 2500mhz and voltage at 1.23, my ht is already @ 2000mhz, then ill report, ill also disable LLC and extreme ov.

ive tried @ 1.45V and prime95 crashed in 1 sec, @ 2400mhz nb/1.23v, then cranked up the cpu vcore to 1.4875, but hwmonitor wont show cpy vcore, but everest does so ill stick with everest... i see 1.46-1.48V @ idle, and under load i see 1.43-1.46v.. can i increase the voltage to like 1.51 at idle so it will be @ 1.487 approx. under load? 1.51v at idle is bad for the cpu? i know 1.51 is a little high under load for a 24/7 but at idle, is it bad?

oh and y LLC is bad? i heard at many places that it is good... since i dont need really high voltage at idle, then under load it increase to keep stab... with it disabled, i get high voltages at idle then lower under load.... i tried 1.51 in bios , it give 1.48-1.50 idle and 1.44- 1.48 under load temp @ 44 for 5 mins, then crash

Last edited:
LLC can be good as long as the voltage swings between what it's set to in bios and what it adds at load aren't too drastic, then you can get unsafe voltage under load or you get problems with boot up because baseline CPU voltage is too low. What's the vcore maxing out at under load? HWMonitor will show you max, min and current vcore values. What you want to avoid is vcores under load that are exceeding say, 1.575. Does your bios allow you to tune the LLC or is it just off or on?

LLC can be good as long as the voltage swings between what it's set to in bios and what it adds at load aren't too drastic, then you can get unsafe voltage under load or you get problems with boot up because baseline CPU voltage is too low. What's the vcore maxing out at under load? HWMonitor will show you max, min and current vcore values. What you want to avoid is vcores under load that are exceeding say, 1.575. Does your bios allow you to tune the LLC or is it just off or on?

bios llc is on or off, but at on, i put like 1.40v (wich boot pretty well) and it rise to 1.45 under load,

if i put 1.45v idle it rise to 1.5 max under load,

hw monitor wont work i saw many screenshots of it, mine show only xpuio,+12v,Sil3132 ESATA,+3.3v,+5v,VBAT under the voltages tab, cpu io is 3.49 so its not vcore... theres missing the VCORE part :S but in teverst i see the vcore and it work well...

llc is actually off, i got like 1.48-1.50v idle, 1.44-1.48 under load, i think i should put llc back on?

I'll give you a little info on my setup for what I use to run 3.8 on my C2, 1.47 with llc off, cpu/nb at 2600/1.23v. I noticed your NB voltage is 1.29, that should stay on auto. I believe thats normally 1.13 or so, just don't remember for sure, but that could be the culprit, I can't get it stable with LLC on at 1.425, but 1.43 works. it took a lot of trial to get it to where it is, so you might have to play around a little with your setting as well, its not stable if I drop the CPU/nb below 2600 either lol, finicky cpu.

Last edited:
bios llc is on or off, but at on, i put like 1.40v (wich boot pretty well) and it rise to 1.45 under load,

if i put 1.45v idle it rise to 1.5 max under load,

hw monitor wont work i saw many screenshots of it, mine show only xpuio,+12v,Sil3132 ESATA,+3.3v,+5v,VBAT under the voltages tab, cpu io is 3.49 so its not vcore... theres missing the VCORE part :S but in teverst i see the vcore and it work well...

llc is actually off, i got like 1.48-1.50v idle, 1.44-1.48 under load, i think i should put llc back on?

Do you have any core unlocking feature enabled in bios? If so, that will block HWMonitor from being able to read core temps. With that CPU there are no cores to unlock anyway.

Do you have any core unlocking feature enabled in bios? If so, that will block HWMonitor from being able to read core temps. With that CPU there are no cores to unlock anyway.

Oh yes maybe i hitted the 4 button to use asus core unlocker feature by mistake each tine i boot up it said4 core unlocked... But i dont find any way to remove this

There should be a setting in your bios for this. Here it is. Disable it.

Attachments

• ACC.JPG
    ACC.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 917
Back