• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to overclock 1100T new mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"keny" if you choose the correct revision of the motherboard, in this case Revision 3.0 you will see there are only 3 bios versions listed. FA, FB and FC as already stated.
RGone...

GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 3.0)

The link is not working everytime for rme. It was 'supposed' to be the direct link the bioses for the R3.0 motherboards. It works soemtimes and not others. Why? How in the heck would I know. His model and R3.0 as the revision is what I chose. CrapOla links.

"Ollieboy" you beat me to it about the correct Revision of the motherboard must be looked up. I would hate to have someone link me to the wrong bios version for a different revision. GiggleBoard has almost tripped me up more than once with that revisiion shown as a link in blue at the upper part of the mobo name. Small print it is though.

Last edited:
Yeah you are absolutely correct, I hadn't noticed the revision at the top of the page,:facepalm: I wonder if a rev 1 bios would work? (don't try this op) I may look into that as it seems like a bios issue to me

Yeah you are absolutely correct, I hadn't noticed the revision at the top of the page,:facepalm: I wonder if a rev 1 bios would work? (don't try this op) I may look into that as it seems like a bios issue to me

You sure would not want to flash a R1.0 bios version onto his new R3.0 board since it never included the APM = Disable in it. The newer R1.1 boards were physically modded to do a couple of things. I doubt I would flash one of the R1.1 bioses to his R3.0 board either.

Take a R2.0 Asus Sabertooth 990FX board for example. The newer R2.0 boards now have ram LLC in bios which was never there before. That means Asus likely had to put a different IC on hte board to control ram LLC. So I doubt with the actual physical changes being made on the mobos in the last 8 months, that an old bios revision of the mobo is a good idea. at all.
RGone...

PS: If Gigabyte has not fixed the bios by now and R3.0 has now been out for sometime...then it is time to get a different motherboard. Something that works.

I have just posted a thread on the giga forum about the bios rev compatability, I'm curious about this that's all as the rev I have on my 1.1 board is rock solid and works a treat, probably a bad idea but I like to know things like this (OCD)

From this thread where they are complaining about the new R3.0 board.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1354110/...990fxa-ud3-rev3-0-need-help-with-uefi-bios/70
Quote:
GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 3.0) owner here.
Yes, with either of the two bios for the Rev 3.0 you cannot edit the majority of bios features.
Seen many complaints about it. Unable to do so myself no matter what I do.
I use AMD OverDrive to overclock outside the bios, and works... decently...
I also notice that no matter what power settings I use in the bios (the editable ones), if I hit 54c my CPU will get throttled to half voltage and half core speed, and instantly drop 8-10c.
make sure all your power saving features are turned off.
set your bios to the oc you want to try with hpc mode disabled. once it passes stress test say for 1 min, go back into the bios and turn on hpc mode only reboot and stress test.

any time you change a setting in the bios turn hpc mode off. change setting and boot. then restart and turn hpc mode on. then stress test.

What went wrong ???? This is probably giga's most popular board on the AMD side and they have well and truly busted it up (insert profanity instead of busted) fail is all I can say.

At this link you can read the stupid things tech support wrote back to the user with a problem. They just don't get that their reputation with consumers is being severly handicapped by non-english speaking and thinking techs.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Revision 3.0 Stay Away!
Started by Hellsrage , May 08 2013 03:18 PM

I went to the Gigglebutt website and saw that it appears the only motherboard that would normally be bought that is nOt in REV 3.0 is the 990FXA-UD7. It appears still in Rev 1.x.

EDIT:
More.
This thread begins very much like the other thread linked above. But read on and you will see just how far reaching this R3.0 thing has become. At first I thought it was only on FX type processors but apparently not completely.
RGone...

I am finding these links by typing into google this search phrase >> Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Revision 3.0 overclocks like crap << That is all I typed into g00gle.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 3.0 Stay Away!
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Okay you also ask about a g00d board to repalce the UD3 R3.0 you have. The answer to that is "depending" on if you EVER plan to run an FX processor. The Yes gets one set of boards and if you answer NO you will never ever run any of the current crop of FX processors then it will be a different answer.
RGone...

Yeah, I plan on grabbing myself an FX chip sometime down the line, but not for a while now. Just got the 1100T 10 months or so ago, and would just like the peace of mind that I can upgrade in the future. :)

But upon reading, there are mixed reviews about the Sabretooth...but Asus boards have been incredibly reliable.
While others say, grab the Gigabyte FXA-UD5 boards...... I'm not too sure about buying another product from Gigabyte, this has seriously left a bad taste. :-/

................Anyways

OP, have you tried the FBd bios?
I read a few threads saying it was worth moving to.
I just noticed they do not have a link on their site
Here is the thread I saw with a link to download
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...350-Piledriver

Please take care if you decide to use these as its not from the gigabyte site.

I haven't tried that BIOS yet Xeon, usually I'm fairly cautious about installing beta or unreleased BIOS's into my system. But I have until tonight to make an RMA claim, so I'll throw caution to the wind and give it a test.

I'll report back with any updates.

:comp:

What is very odd is that massman posted that 11-13-2012 11:13 PM and it is now 5-3-2013 and the entire thread is only 8 post long. And it looks like if that beta bios was so good, the Giga techs would have said something about it or referred some of the other users to it by now. I guess no matter how strange a thing is anything is possible.
RGone...

Well safe to say, that bios didn't work for me, combined the negative problems that I experienced of both the FA, and FC version. Nothing beneficial, bah!
Put through an RMA regardless, so I think I'll go with Asus if they will forgive me :(

Thanks for taking the time to help out,
Ollie

Crap man. I was afraid of that. If a beta is worth a hoot on a board that all are cussing, then the thread is far far longer than that one at Xs.

If you are going Asus, then you need to go big or stay at home and not limit your choice of FX processors to a lesser number of cores. The Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is about likely the best choice moneywise since it is not as expensive as a CHV-z board and nearly as overclockable. There I am talking about 2% or maybe 3% difference on air or very good water. So not much difference for sure.

By the way the users that are not so happy as they might be with the Sabertooth, may not have spent well for the supporting cast of parts and pieces. Those thru this AMD Cpu Forum section with 1st Revision and now the 2nd Revision of the Sabertooth have been pretty much happy as could be. And any manmade product can fail and go bad. Just being a top of the line Asus motherboard does not mean physical parts on the motherboard cannot fail. It happens to any brand and class of motherboard.

I really hope that you can move to some board that seems to give you at least a fighting chance to work well overall. And allow for a little fun in overclocking.
RGone...

Well safe to say, that bios didn't work for me, combined the negative problems that I experienced of both the FA, and FC version. Nothing beneficial, bah!
Put through an RMA regardless, so I think I'll go with Asus if they will forgive me :(

Thanks for taking the time to help out,
Ollie

Just a heads up, I think the BIOS got corrupt during Q-Flash. For my RMA they want everything as new, so I reverted the BIOS back to the default "FB" version. And now it's stuck on an ever lasting reboot cycle (meaning, it can't reach the bios, proceeds to restarts).

, it's now a dead board, just my luck.
Hopefully the warranty covers BIOS faults.

Here's hoping the Asus board works well, I'll be back for done fine tuning :p

I am really confused now. I thought the dang vaunted Dual Bios was to keep such no boot from happening. You will be plain lucky to move that board on out of your computer room no matter what, it seems.
RGone...

Just a heads up, I think the BIOS got corrupt during Q-Flash. For my RMA they want everything as new, so I reverted the BIOS back to the default "FB" version. And now it's stuck on an ever lasting reboot cycle (meaning, it can't reach the bios, proceeds to restarts).

, it's now a dead board, just my luck.
Hopefully the warranty covers BIOS faults.

Here's hoping the Asus board works well, I'll be back for done fine tuning :p

I am really confused now. I thought the dang vaunted Dual Bios was to keep such no boot from happening. You will be plain lucky to move that board on out of your computer room no matter what, it seems.
RGone...

You're telling me!
That's why I thought I would be relatively safe flashing the bios back to default. I backed up the original. And then it just kept restarting on a loop!

After resetting the BIOS it still never recovered. Worst possible time to happen coming up to the end of my year haha :/

Seems like the back-up bios was a dud.:cry:

Back