• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to overclock 1100T new mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ollieboy

Registered
Hey folks, unfortunately for you I have returned for your guidance :D

Quick Brief

I'm looking to overclock my 1100T once again, but this time I'm using a different brand of motherboard, "Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Revision 3.0" to be precise.

I've posted here before where I successfully managed to get achieve a stable overclock of 4.2Gh'z on an am2+ motherboard (Asus M3N-HT).

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697778

With your help I am hoping to achieve the same results, if not better if possible.

------------------------------------------------------

CPU-Z / Temps

idled.jpg

The problem

Currently as I have updated, I have came across settings I've never heard of, such as "Vcore Loadline Calibration", "NB, PCIe,PLL Voltage". This is proving to be more confusing than I first anticipated.

On top of that, I had the basics of overclocking before hand on my old motherboard, setting the multiplier, adding Core voltage to the CPU/ CPUNB and that was it. But now I don't really see the option to add core voltage as "1.475" but instead something like 0.475+ ( as an example)

So hopefully OC can provide an insight on what these do, and how to get myself started.

Thanks,
Ollie

Specs

MOBO > Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (Revision 3.0)
CPU & Cooler > Phenom II 1100T, Noctua NH-D14
MEMORY > Crucial Ballistics 1600Mhz CL8 2X4GB
POWER SUPPLY > Corsair 650HX
VIDEO CARD > 2x XFX 260GTX XT Edition SLI
HDD > 1230Gb - 1x 750Gb, 1 x 320Gb, 1x 160Gb
CD/DVD > Generic DVD/RW
SOUND > ASUS XONAR D2 PCI
O/S > Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

Last edited:
Leave the PCI-e voltage alone.

PLL, I forget what that's about. Never had it on any of my board. "Phase Loop Line" or something like that. I hear with the FX CPUs it can help with oveclocking to manipulate this but I think to do so can put extra strain on the mosfets.

Vcore Load Line Calibration. I can help with that one. Unfortunately, it is implemented in significantly different ways on different motherboards but the original idea was that it would provide a voltage supplement to counteract "Vdroop" which is the tendency for CPU core voltage to fall off under load. In a lot of boards it does more than that and provides "extra" voltage to the CPU cores to keep the processor stable under load. Play around with it and note in HWMonitor what impact it has on idle and load voltages of the cores. In some implementations it can allow you to get away with a fairly low voltage at idle and only supplement under load when the extra voltage is need to keep things stable.

NB. You need to determine first if this is the NB motherboard chip being referenced or the CPUNB. The NB chip is the PCI-e controller and the CPUNB has to do with the integrated memory controller on the CPU die. If it's the motherboard chip then leave it alone. If it's teh CPUNB then you want to overvolt it a little if you overclock the CPUNB, which can improve memory performance.

As far as adding CPU voltage, most motherboards give you the option to configure the adjustment either as an amount added onto stock or a total, end result amount.

PLL, I forget what that's about. Never had it on any of my board. "Phase Loop Line" or something like that. I hear with the FX CPUs it can help with oveclocking to manipulate this but I think to do so can put extra strain on the mosfets.

I've read up on it a little, but I cannot seem to get a clear explanation on what it does. Apparently it can lower temps and improve stability if lowered. But, as I said nobody can seem to get a full reason behind it.

I ran into a problem earlier today and after checking all of my BIOS features, cannot seem to fix it.

cpusn.png

When I started overclocking I realised that only 1 of my cores were being overclocked (marked in red). I've turned every feature on/off to try and fix the issue. But no cigar....

On another note, I cannot seem to access BIOS from my USB keyboard, even though I have switched on the features required. I've tried removing the CMOS battery and moving the jumpers too...

Do you have any experience with this problem?

I am using a PS/2 keyboard at the moment, but is becoming a nuisance with a small desk :bang head

Make sure Cool N Quiet, Turbo Core Boost and C1E are all turned off. Also make sure the core unlocking feature is not enabled. Many times it's called ACC but it can be called something else.

USB can be problematic but in my experience if USB is giving problems then PS2 will also since the the one is a subset of the other. Make sure "Legacy" is enabled in the USB bios settings. Also, and this can often ferret out a USB problem, disconnect all USB devices that are not being used. I had a UPS with a USB connection that was not releasing when I rebooted the computer and it would tie up the USB bus until I was into Windows. I lost keyboard function during the boot process.

This is all great information from trents. :thup:

In looking at your cpuz screenshot:
cpusn.png

CPUz appears to only be reporting 5 cores. See if you have a setting for manual core control (sometimes this is a sub menu under ACC) so you can re-enable the last core. Can always do a bios reset if needed...

Just keep your cool with the new layout. I know the gigabyte boards can have a myriad of settings which at first can greatly complicate your mission to overclock, but once you get them dialed in its not so bad.

Good luck and welcome back.

:bang head
Unfortunately whatever I do does not seem to work. Only overclocks the first core (as if turbo boost is on). BIOS has been reset and updated to FC. But still nothing :shock:

I've attached some images of what my BIOS contains and settings I have used for your viewing pleasure! Hopefully someone can identify the problem.
(apologies for list of images)

Thanks again,

Main Menu
dsc0024dvo.jpg

Advanced Frequency Settings
dsc0025kj.jpg

Advanced CPU Core Features
dsc0026gu.jpg

CPU Core Control Settings
dsc0027qn.jpg

Advanced Voltage Settings
dsc0028nf.jpg

Results
And finally. The results of these settings. As you can see, only core #0 has been overclocked to 3.4Gh'z. I have set my power options in windows to max performance too.
resultsf.jpg

I see nothing in bios that would point to the problem. I think I would RMA that motherboard.

I have a feeling it could be down to the dual bios, I remember reading a forum post where he had to update his secondary bios to get it functioning.

Will give the Q-Flash a go this time round, instead of the software "@BioS". If not I think you're right about the RMA.

Thanks for your help man,

I would flash it back to F1 bios if its not running on that already, as your current bios is not working with your CPU correctly, as there are multiple problems with it, I would flash it first then if that does not fix it then RMA it :thup:

I would flash it back to F1 bios if its not running on that already, as your current bios is not working with your CPU correctly, as there are multiple problems with it, I would flash it first then if that does not fix it then RMA it :thup:

That was a great shout Keny!
This has fixed my USB issue I was having earlier, so more PS/2!

I was having issues with the multiplier, it would not go above 5x, thus leaving me with 1.0Gh'z per core.

I got round it by unlocking the cores, again overclocked the cpu by 100Mh'z (3.4Gh'z).

Booted into windows and have ran into an issue with temps, they're no longer able to get recorded, all showing 0c.

:shrug:

When you unlock cores you lose the ability to monitor core temps. That's a well-established fact. The work around is to stress test before you turn core unlocking on and note the differential between core temps and CPU socket temps as that differential will remain constant. Then unlock the cores and do the math to come up with the core temp.

The link below goes to page 2 of a thread in the AMD Mobo Section. The user had problems with his first board and in Romania they have odd RMA rules. He easily got a refund and since the Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 was n0t in stock he bought a Giga UD3 Rev 3.0 motherboard. As you will see when you read the rest of his thread, it was a bad thing on his part not to wait for the Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 to become available. He lists 9 issues with the Giga UD3 Rev 3.0 and then later on page #3 of that thread he lists the 10th problem the board has with it. He is using an FX-8350. You can see what I was writing back to him for his 9 and finally 10 problems. The outcome is that he is going to buy the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 as soon as they come in stock for sale where he lives in Romania.

The rev3 came out because the r2`s had fets blowing up and usually took the CPU with them.(you know the magic smoke that makes them run escaped ). But atleast it`s a sexy looking mobo all black like that.
If you wish i can make a list of whats wrong.

I expect that you will find moving away from the Giga UD3 series will be your only workable answer to your own problems. No bios released by Giga has fixed anything about the other users problems. Not a thing is fixed.
RGone...

The link below goes to page 2 of a thread in the AMD Mobo Section. The user had problems with his first board and in Romania they have odd RMA rules. He easily got a refund and since the Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 was n0t in stock he bought a Giga UD3 Rev 3.0 motherboard. As you will see when you read the rest of his thread, it was a bad thing on his part not to wait for the Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 to become available. He lists 9 issues with the Giga UD3 Rev 3.0 and then later on page #3 of that thread he lists the 10th problem the board has with it. He is using an FX-8350. You can see what I was writing back to him for his 9 and finally 10 problems. The outcome is that he is going to buy the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 as soon as they come in stock for sale where he lives in Romania.

The rev3 came out because the r2`s had fets blowing up and usually took the CPU with them.(you know the magic smoke that makes them run escaped ). But atleast it`s a sexy looking mobo all black like that.
If you wish i can make a list of whats wrong.

I expect that you will find moving away from the Giga UD3 series will be your only workable answer to your own problems. No bios released by Giga has fixed anything about the other users problems. Not a thing is fixed.
RGone...

Everything he has listed I have the exact same problem.

Any kind of changes to the BIOS, and the computer will double boot i.e. apply settings > power off, power on for 1 second . then off for 2 > then boots as normal but this time it reverts back to default values (makes me suspect it reverts back to default BIOS Version "Dual BIOS".

I have noticed irregularities in terms of using LLC, when I added a 0.050v vcore to a 100Mh'z overclock to ensure stability on my part, nothing got registered in CPUZ or HWMonitor.

Motherboard temps seems fine to me, NB is warm to the touch as expected.

Also just having a quick glance at this boards voltages on HWMonitor, I too am running 8v on 12v rails. But again these are software readings and not entirely accurate.

I think I'll arrange a list and request an RMA, Asus boards I have had no problems with in the past, infact I knew I should have stuck with them.

Very disapointed.

:rain:

Bummer..... If a flash of the bios has not resolved the problems then its not worth the trouble of chasing all the problems......what is it with boards now a days? They all seem to be falling apart on pretty regular basis! I would have banked on gigabyte but as of late every manufacturer seems to be struggling with the power draw of these fx CPUs, maybe those tiny parts are just not robust enough no more and it will take some serious upgrades to make them more durable on the fx platform, I would have thought they could atleast manage a thuban, and get the bios/software correct.

I doubt the physical boards are to blame.
I have the rev 1 or 1.1, cant remember and its been great.
Since the rev 3 introduced the uefi bios, I'd bet it's a software/bios issue.

Bummer..... If a flash of the bios has not resolved the problems then its not worth the trouble of chasing all the problems......what is it with boards now a days? They all seem to be falling apart on pretty regular basis! I would have banked on gigabyte but as of late every manufacturer seems to be struggling with the power draw of these fx CPUs, maybe those tiny parts are just not robust enough no more and it will take some serious upgrades to make them more durable on the fx platform, I would have thought they could atleast manage a thuban, and get the bios/software correct.

BIOS version "FA" gave me USB control, but no unlocked multi.
While "FC" and "FB" gave me no usb support, unlocked multi but only overclocks 1 core regardless of settings.

I am surprised too, I mean it's only a Thuban. I've heard of the power draws from the fx cpu's being around 300watts+ 1.55 just crazy. Which seems like everyone has no problems with this board if they're using fx chips...

Yet my old am2+ motherboard could handle 4.2Gh'z or 4.3 if I fine tuned it.
Seriously disappointed so far with Gigabyte on first impressions. With leads me to my last question...

Anyone have any other recommendations on a new motherboard?
I'm kind of swaying towards the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, although I really dislike the colour :p
Suppose, will finally match something with the Noctua.

I doubt the physical boards are to blame.
I have the rev 1 or 1.1, cant remember and its been great.
Since the rev 3 introduced the uefi bios, I'd bet it's a software/bios issue.

From my perspective I can see it as a BIOS issue, but so far none of the updates have been really beneficial for me.

Which is a shame, since I've never used Gigabyte before and really wanted to give them a chance. One thing I will say, the layout of the motherboard is just perfect for my setup (minus the dodgy sata ports on the edge of the board....:screwy:)

BIOS version "FA" gave me USB control, but no unlocked multi.
While "FC" and "FB" gave me no usb support, unlocked multi but only overclocks 1 core regardless of settings.

I am surprised too, I mean it's only a Thuban. I've heard of the power draws from the fx cpu's being around 300watts+ 1.55 just crazy. Which seems like everyone has no problems with this board if they're using fx chips...

Yet my old am2+ motherboard could handle 4.2Gh'z or 4.3 if I fine tuned it.
Seriously disappointed so far with Gigabyte on first impressions. With leads me to my last question...

Anyone have any other recommendations on a new motherboard?
I'm kind of swaying towards the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, although I really dislike the colour :p
Suppose, will finally match something with the Noctua.

You are using the correct bios? As the giga website states that the bios revs are F1-F10A that's ten revs of the bios, which is a lot to try lol

I see others had no issues with R1.0 and R1.1 motherboards but we are not talking about those Revisions of the board. This new load of crap is from a UD3 series with the only bioses currently at download. FA, FB and FC. I don't care if it is a bios firmware problem, there is no fix currently. Oh by the way GiggleBit did not have APM = Disable in the R1.0 motherboards and had to release R1.1 with phycial changes to allow APM = Disable for FX style processors.

Okay you also ask about a g00d board to repalce the UD3 R3.0 you have. The answer to that is "depending" on if you EVER plan to run an FX processor. The Yes gets one set of boards and if you answer NO you will never ever run any of the current crop of FX processors then it will be a different answer.
RGone...

Everything he has listed I have the exact same problem.

Any kind of changes to the BIOS, and the computer will double boot i.e. apply settings > power off, power on for 1 second . then off for 2 > then boots as normal but this time it reverts back to default values (makes me suspect it reverts back to default BIOS Version "Dual BIOS".

I have noticed irregularities in terms of using LLC, when I added a 0.050v vcore to a 100Mh'z overclock to ensure stability on my part, nothing got registered in CPUZ or HWMonitor.

Motherboard temps seems fine to me, NB is warm to the touch as expected.

Also just having a quick glance at this boards voltages on HWMonitor, I too am running 8v on 12v rails. But again these are software readings and not entirely accurate.

I think I'll arrange a list and request an RMA, Asus boards I have had no problems with in the past, infact I knew I should have stuck with them.

Very disapointed.

:rain:

Back