• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to reach 5ghz on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

so i am trying to reach 5ghz on air and testing with prime95.

when i run max fpu stress, temps go up to 90-95 (which i drop right there). when i tested again with my 4.5ghz overclock, i found it did the same thing. so the max amount i could get was 4.2 :( the cooler i have is an NZXT T20.

would buying a bigger heatpipe cooler help me achieve this? if so, which one should i buy? i was thinking of getting the nzxt havik. i want to do this only on air and using the lowest amount of voltage possible. i will be using prime 95 to stress test and Natural selection 2 to test for stability).

Last edited:
An NZXT..........................what?

It all depends on the chip and the voltage needed to get there. If it is higher, than air probably won't do it...realistically, 5Ghz is not 24/7 on Ivybridge.

Last edited:
What vCore?

Isn't it too high for 4.5GHz?

Most 3570K do 4.5 below 1.2v.

Edit: mine, which is a 3770k with HT (running +/-10°C hotter than a 3670k) does [email protected]/77°C and [email protected]/88°C, but it is de-lidded... Before, I could not go above 4.6GHz, and even at this freq, I was in the danger zone (90°C+).

*IF* there's any chance of reaching those speeds on air, your best bet would be the Phanteks or Noctua tower coolers.

Noctua
Phanteks

dunno if the mounts would fit on my asrock extreme4 z77...but i think ill check it out.

What vCore?

Isn't it too high for 4.5GHz?

Most 3570K do 4.5 below 1.2v.

Edit: mine, which is a 3770k with HT (running +/-10°C hotter than a 3670k) does [email protected]/77°C and [email protected]/88°C, but it is de-lidded... Before, I could not go above 4.6GHz, and even at this freq, I was in the danger zone (90°C+).

i have to set 0.060+ (about 1.3 after running prime) offset just to get stable in ns2. when i ran the beer miner it was only showing 1.28 volts being used. i guess ill prime95 to test it out from now on then :s

so i am trying to reach 5ghz on air and testing with prime95.
When you say this how long of a test are you planning? I've had my 2500k with a Prolimatech Megahalems and 2 110 cfm Scyth slipstreams on it for 20 minutes of prime at 5.0 and the temps were high, the Ivy will run hotter then the 2500k. I feel it will be tough to get it to 5.0 and run it 24/7 with acceptable temps, if the chip will do 5.0, on anything other then good H2O.

When you say this how long of a test are you planning? I've had my 2500k with a Prolimatech Megahalems and 2 110 cfm Scyth slipstreams on it for 20 minutes of prime at 5.0 and the temps were high, the Ivy will run hotter then the 2500k. I feel it will be tough to get it to 5.0 and run it 24/7 with acceptable temps, if the chip will do 5.0, on anything other then good H2O.

7 hours. why? because its biblical :b haha anyway

i just overclocked again to 4300mhz and set the offset to 0.50. temps are now at 75c...but that was only for 2 minutes. i am going to try testing again more carefully now because i get the feeling that maybe i can reach 4.4ghz without a problem if i do it more carefully.

im looking forward to the noctua btw. nice fans and nice heatpipe size.

Just a note...

When you give an offset value... that isn't terribly helpful as we have no idea what your end voltage is with only giving that value. We do not know your total voltage because we do not know your stock voltage which is needed to figure out the total voltage (Stock V + offset = total).

You want to run your chip at a high OC. Will you be delidding it? i5/i7 3xxx and 4xxx CPU's have TIM between their chips and their IHS's. It conducts just so much heat. If your chip makes more heat than the TIM can conduct, the TIM acts as an insulator.

The consensus I've been seeing for your CPU is delidding, then: chip > liquid metal in lieu of TIM > IHS > TIM > heatsink.

You want to run your chip at a high OC. Will you be delidding it? i5/i7 3xxx and 4xxx CPU's have TIM between their chips and their IHS's. It conducts just so much heat. If your chip makes more heat than the TIM can conduct, the TIM acts as an insulator.

The consensus I've been seeing for your CPU is delidding, then: chip > liquid metal in lieu of TIM > IHS > TIM > heatsink.

nope

i did look for my stock voltage. heres what i found.

3400mhz
1.056V
56c under maximum FPU stress in prime95

4400mhz
1.240 V (set by offset. tested for stability using ns2)
82c under maximum FPU stress in prime95

You're going to need a better cooler. Period. Check Noctuas website for the D14; it gives you compatibility lists for boards/RAM, etc.

Edit; checked for you, it has a nice big green tick next to it ;).

But 5ghz is still a crapshoot. 4.7/4.8ghz is quite achievable for sure with a D14 or Phanteks Equiv, but after that you'll have to get lucky...

Stop using Offsets. Use a manual input straight voltage. Makes it easier for us, and frankly for you.

Also make sure you've got at least two fans at the front of the case intaking. And maybe one exhaust at the back to match the flow of air.

You're going to need a better cooler. Period. Check Noctuas website for the D14; it gives you compatibility lists for boards/RAM, etc.

Edit; checked for you, it has a nice big green tick next to it ;).

But 5ghz is still a crapshoot. 4.7/4.8ghz is quite achievable for sure with a D14 or Phanteks Equiv, but after that you'll have to get lucky...

Stop using Offsets. Use a manual input straight voltage. Makes it easier for us, and frankly for you.

Also make sure you've got at least two fans at the front of the case intaking. And maybe one exhaust at the back to match the flow of air.

did i not say that i was going to get the noctua later on? or does saying "later" only mean i might not ever buy it?

since you tell me to stop using offset, how about intel speed step? i dont want this thing running at full power all the time. im hoping it would lower both core clock and voltage? i think ill go read.

there are two fans on the front of my case and one in the back. theres room for two more 140mm on top. but they are covered by a lamp and a piece of paper to help with airflow (my two 140mm died a few days ago D:).

ANYWAY, heatpipes will only get me so close. will i still be seeing temps of 80c on them though if i overlclock to 4.8ghz?

Some Deltas are a must for what you're trying to do, but only if they're paired up with a great heatsink.

For that matter, what's the minimum ambient temperature to qualify as "air" cooled? Does it count if it only gets to 5GHz outside in a Russian winter?

im trying to get 78c. i read that if i go over 80, thats a temp for concern. i also wanted to use offset so that i could extend my cpus life. i have a feeling that if i keep a fixed voltage, i will degrade it faster even when its not in use.

5ghz is a hard look, I'm running mine at 4.8ghz at 1.25ghz on a CM V8 and It will hit 80C+ in P95 testing. I can't go any higher without increasing the vcore.

I hit 5GHz in a trophy run. I have a screenshot to that effect, but when I went to CPU-Z all I got was 4999.96 MHz.

I would never run I faster than I can dissipate the heat under AVX2. With Linpack without AVX2 I can run it hotter. My D14 did not seem to matter when AVX2 was involved. So I'm using my Armageddon, and a much lower OC. I think 4.4GHz is as much as you would want to push a chip that has not been delidded.

Back