• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to reach 5ghz on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
just wondering...but if i delid my 3570k, can i epoxy the IHS to the die? or does it have to be thermal paste?

i was thinking of using a glue instead of thermal paste...i feel i would get better temps that way instead of using glue...or would i not?

just wondering...but if i delid my 3570k, can i epoxy the IHS to the die? or does it have to be thermal paste?

i was thinking of using a glue instead of thermal paste...i feel i would get better temps that way instead of using glue...or would i not?

feel like that would be a bit of a can of worms. the glue will most likely melt and spew out due to the intense heat thatwill obviously be produced. besides i dont think its a great transfer material.

They used to make thermal past type of glue I believe for putting HS's on little parts, if your delidding the thing I sure wouldn't use epoxy.

Seems would defeat the purpose of delidding it to begin with.

Not sure these days, been away, there was a time they had things soldered to the top yeah and delidding was a high risk thing with some chips.

*edit on reviewing out of curiousity, I guess they'd stopped that on the newer ones, but I'd still never use epoxy.

Was a joke I hope.

Last edited:
Yeah, I reached 4.6 Stable at 80ishc and a 1.28. Make sure your running at level 2 load line calibration. easier to get stable. And I have a very similar setup and seriously doubt you will get near 5ghz on air. from 4.6 to 4.7 I went up almost 10 degrees. You will need to delid at the least and really need to just go water cooled. Or stick it in the freezer ;)

So.... I have a question about this. My i5 2550k will reach 5.0 on air, no prob. So why do the newer chips run hotter then the sandy bridge chips? Anyone know?

The Heat spreader was soldered to the die if I am not mistaken, The new chips have a TIM I believe witch at a certain point can't tranfer the heat so it becomes a insulator. That's why most people delid thiers and use liquid metal or better Thermal paste. Feel free to correct me on the specifics :)

Last edited:
Back