• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to reach 5ghz on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
with [email protected], you'll never make 5GHz (or 4.8GHz+) without de-lidding. Even under water.

Mine does [email protected] and before de-lidding, it was hitting already 90°C+ at this freq/voltage with a NH-D14.

so after disabling c-states (except speed step and C1E) i got it down to 1.200 volts at 4.4ghz. did not crash in ns2 and the temps were still kind of the same, but mostly around 78 in the beginning. oh, and this is all on offset (0.030-)

ill see if i can get it down even lower later on. i tried 1.185 and it crashed but at 1.190 i dont think it did...i think ill check again today.

5ghz is a hard look, I'm running mine at 4.8ghz at 1.25ghz on a CM V8 and It will hit 80C+ in P95 testing. I can't go any higher without increasing the vcore.

what cooling are you using? is it something like a noctua? water?

I hit 5GHz in a trophy run. I have a screenshot to that effect, but when I went to CPU-Z all I got was 4999.96 MHz.

I would never run I faster than I can dissipate the heat under AVX2. With Linpack without AVX2 I can run it hotter. My D14 did not seem to matter when AVX2 was involved. So I'm using my Armageddon, and a much lower OC. I think 4.4GHz is as much as you would want to push a chip that has not been delidded.

what tempatures were you at when you reached 5ghz?

Don't think it did? You'll need to run Prime95 for a while to be testing for stability...

Cullam already said what cooler he was using. Cooler Master V8. I believe a D14 is better cooling wise.

5ghz is a long-shot.. As I said.. Your chip physically might not even do it.

I've been out of the heatsink loop for a while, but I remember that the Hyper 212 EVO has always been a solid performer on the budget side.

Far from enough for an Ivy Bridge over 4.5GHz.

Phantek PH-TC14PE or Noctua NH-D14 would be my choice.

But still, as stated above, no hope of reaching 5GHz, or even 4.8, without de-lidding.

Meh... depends on the CPU. But it surely isn't a 5Ghz capable cooler regardless. That is really watercooling for 24/7 use.

Mjolnir;7583121[B said:
]1. Don't think it did? You'll need to run Prime95 for a while to be testing for stability... [/B]

Cullam already said what cooler he was using. Cooler Master V8. I believe a D14 is better cooling wise.

5ghz is a long-shot.. As I said.. 2. Your chip physically might not even do it.

1. Natural Selection 2 is a cpu intensive game. if it crashes, i raise voltage just a little by little until i can complete a full round (15> mins)

2. you do know that im still going to try anyway right?

Coolermaster V8

I can't really recommend it though, there are better ones for the price. I happened to get a good deal on it. I've been out of the heatsink loop for a while, but I remember that the Hyper 212 EVO has always been a solid performer on the budget side.

im thinking of this cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

but if the noctua can cool way better than that, then ill continue working on getting the noctua d14

1. Natural Selection 2 is a cpu intensive game. if it crashes, i raise voltage just a little by little until i can complete a full round (15> mins)

2. you do know that im still going to try anyway right?

im thinking of this cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

but if the noctua can cool way better than that, then ill continue working on getting the noctua d14
Jebus Gin, keep up with us... that is the cooler we were just saying will for sure not be good enough at 5Ghz. It may or may not be good enough at 4.5Ghz... depends on your CPU.

If you still, for whatever reason, want to shoot for 5GHz on air (which is not likely at all as we said, especially on air) You will need one of the best air coolers around as Manu has listed.

That happens... no clue on that cooler... but I doubt, at $33, it would be good enough. Perhaps look at some reviews and see how it compares. The two manu listed are what you would be looking for really.

Yep, one of the best with the NH-D14 (it's actually a copy of it in most lines...).

If I would have not get a fantastic deal on my Noctua, that is the one I would have got.

@E_D: I thank you waaaay to much the past few days ;)

maybe delid with some liquid ultra and then use like mx-4. this seems to me like the absolute farthest you can go with air cooling

what tempatures were you at when you reached 5ghz?

I wasn't pushing it, so I didn't check. But under LinX I was getting 90's and more with 4.7GHz*. With LinX + AVX I was getting 90's at 4.5GHz. With Linpack + AVX2 (LinX doesn't work with AVX2) I get 91°C at 4.4GHz. Since I hardly ever expect to run into AVX2, 4.3GHz is acceptable to me.

I was using an NH-D14, but I figure it doesn't really matter what cooler I use.

* Actually, as I recall I was hitting 100°C and getting throttled at 4.7, 4.5GHz, given the AVX and AVX2 that I was using. As I said before, you can really hot with those codes.

i was reading that intel used to solder the IHS to the cpu die.

does anyone know why intel chose to use TIM on a 3570k? my guess is they wanted to make it for people who use liquid nitrogen or water cooling who like to overclock their processors to 5ghz or more without getting the cold bug?

Back