• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to update the bios on an old motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kado

I lack experience in updating the bios on computers and i am in kind of a jam right now so i figured i would ask you awesome folks here for a bit of help. Here is my situation. I have an old AM2 Asus crosshair (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/CROSSHAIR/#download) This beast is running a XFX 4850, an AM3 Phenom II x2 555 BE CPU, and 4 Gb of ram. So the issue is that while these parts might be considered ancient tech to some i have found value in them. I have gathered these parts up for free over the past year or so and i am running windows 8 release preview.
The fact is i am lost when it comes to making a bios update disk and knowing which programs to make the disk with. The current bios version is 0904.

Thank you

Are you intending to flash the bios from a floppy disc or a USB thumb drive?

You can use the EZ Flash 2 Utility to flash the BIOS, below is from Asus for your MB. To uae EZ Flash, when you bootup, press the "End" key when you would normaly press the "Delete" key for BIOS setup. Oh and when you get in the flash utility, the USB drive will be labled drive a:, and the USB drive must use FAT32 format.
I have a Sabertooth 990FX and the BIOS file is 4MB, no way that is going to fit on a floppy :rofl:
One thing to remember when updating the BIOS, leave it alone till it's done.
Good luck

Asus
EZ Flash 2 is a user-friendly BIOS update utility. Simply launch this tool and update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS. You can update your BIOS only in a few clicks without preparing an additional floppy diskette or using an OS-based flash utility.

The easiest way to flash a bios is using a flash drive(memory stick), just get the latest bios which is at the bottom of this post for you, then extract it onto the flash drive (make sure the flash drive is empty of everything else), then just flash the bios from within the bios, there should be a option in your'e bios for flashing it, sounds daunting and looks scary while its going, but let it do its thing and all should be good:thup:

Attachments

• 1207.zip
    635.4 KB · Views: 15
I feel i am missing something simple but when i unzip the file it is a .bin file. When i tried to update the bios it told me the file sizes do not match.

Last edited:
Maybe the mobo uses a .bin to flash with. It won't show up in the flash utility if it's not correct.

Make sure you have gotten the file for the right motherboard. That's an easy mistake to make.

As above try direct download and try a different version also if the 1207 doesn't work, also format the flash drive before copying the bios to it, I do it out of habit just to be safe.

Got it figured out and all loaded! Held my breath for the entire bit but it restarted and works great! Fixed alot of the issues i was having. Still does not see my 555 BE as what it is in the bios but the voltages are right and i got my multiplier back if i decide to overclock it i can. Its alot of weird parts mashed together but it does work great.

Thank you everyone for your help :)

So what was the deal? What were you doing wrong in the first place?

I was trying to download vista 32bit when i needed to download the bios from the "other" category. leave it to me to do something simple and stupid like that. It is running and is healthy. Had to eat my ego and get a little hand holding for this one. Thank you all

Back