• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tubing question ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've used both tygon and masterkleer and I honestly can't tell the difference. Also, its not as if masterkleer somehow hinders the flow of water and tygon makes the water go through it super fast. No poin tin paying more for the same performance.

SIlver tygon is another story. If only they made that in 7/16 ID.

I just redid the loop in my watercooled rig with 7/16 black Tygon R3400 tubing. I like the idea of the black tubing as it should eliminate any uv light from getting to the coolant and since this machine doesn't have a window anyways, I don't care if I can't run some purty dye in my coolant. :D I built this to be maintenance free as possible, since it's my daughter's machine and I know that I will be the one taking care of maintaining it. BTW, that black Tygon was a breeze to mess with, compared to the old 1/2 silicone tubing I was using in the system up to now.

It still makes me wonder why people would spend $60+ per water block, then decide that $3/foot is too expensive for tubing... It's not like we use 20ft of tubing in these things. If you bought the 'best block' and 'best pump' for your loop... buy the best tubing. Otherwise you are doing the equivalent of bringing a Ferarri to Maaco when the paint gets scratched.

The thing is that many people tinker with their machines on a regular basis and that often includes re-doing your loop. If you're one of those people, you don't want to constantly be paying $30+ for tubing.

I know silver kills bugs. The hospital I work in has silver door handles to kill bacteria on your hands before you enter the room. Thus the silver efectively prevents spread of disease. (yes its costly but less sick people saves us money in the long run)

Yes I have also proven the effectivenss of silver in water cooling. I did these tests a long time ago the pic shows that nothing grows around the silver and copper pellets.

You dont have to constantly pay 30 bucks for tubes you only need a small segment of silver tube and you will be maintnece free

You should have got silver tubes not black, now with black tubes you can see the bacterial growth and you will never know if its there or not (unless you have a clear res).

I have no idea if it kills the type of bacteria in our loops. I buy deionized water, take the silver wire that has been pre-sanded to remove any oxidation (does silver even oxidize?), and let the rod sit in there for several weeks to months in hopes of ions being taken up by the deionized water. I just use that a few months down the road with the other wire already in the loop.

Very general info:
http://www.fraunhofer.de/fhg/Images/magazine1-2004-48_tcm6-10184.pdf
"They destroy the enzymes that transport cell nutrients, weaken the cell membrane or cell wall and cytoplasm, and disrupt cell division and proliferation processes. The bacteria are unable to survive this treatment. Silver coated medical instruments and devices thus remain germ-free."

http://www.edc-cu.org/pdf/Silver Paper.pdf
"Vikings would line the hull of their ships with strings of silver and copper to prevent growth of algae and barnacles. Notably, modern ships still use silver and copper for the same purpose (Laubusch 1971)."

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/4082fact.pdf
"Silver also is used to control several types of algae in swimming pool water systems"

http://www.lenntech.com/water-disinfection/disinfectants-copper-silver-ionization.htm
"Well water containing copper and silver coins is very bright, due to the biocidal affect of these metals."
Very cool, thank you! :D

I know silver kills bugs. The hospital I work in has silver door handles to kill bacteria on your hands before you enter the room. Thus the silver efectively prevents spread of disease. (yes its costly but less sick people saves us money in the long run)

Yes I have also proven the effectivenss of silver in water cooling. I did these tests a long time ago the pic shows that nothing grows around the silver and copper pellets.

You dont have to constantly pay 30 bucks for tubes you only need a small segment of silver tube and you will be maintnece free

You should have got silver tubes not black, now with black tubes you can see the bacterial growth and you will never know if its there or not (unless you have a clear res).

cool test!

now I know where your member name comes from!

Huh... I never knew that about silver. Very cool.
I guess thats why they use tiny amounts of silver to fill cavities.

Very cool!
Just gives me much more reassurance about the one article regarding silver and copper together. Absolutely no need to add anything to the loop for those of us with copper blocks, that means all of us!

Myco, is the suspension in the petri dish a liquid or a gel? I ask because I'm wondering if it being stagnant is the reason why any bacteria grew at all. Being our loops are constantly moving a non-viscous liquid makes me think that bacteria is subject to contact the silver/gold at any given location in the loop while being equally dispersed.

Last edited:
correct me if I'm wrong but don't you need a specific type of silver to be efficient? (aka sterling silver will work crap)

The petridish contains agar its like 97% water and 3% agar & nutrients for growth. So yeah its stagnet (non moving) but if it was moving you cant see the "zone of inhibition".

You can clearly see the effect of silver on the bugs. Copper is the same but I used 100% pure copper and im not sure if the water blocks we use are pure copper or not??? (Reality is there are people out there with copper water blocks like the storm and they still suffer from growth).

Wouldnt it be cheaper to make copper door handles in our hospital? We chose silver for a reason...

(no not caus it looks better)

Tekko is correct the more pure it is the more effective it is.

Copper and silver are not the only metals that are antimicrobial. The other metals such as lead are also good at killing bugs but at that point they are also bad for humans.

eg lead paint on toys = retard kids = global recall etc.

So it all depends... if its not pure whats it mixed with? Is the other metal antimicrobial or not? etc.

(Reality is there are people out there with copper water blocks like the storm and they still suffer from growth).

Wouldnt it be cheaper to make copper door handles in our hospital? We chose silver for a reason...

(no not caus it looks better)
The problems may arise from the use of anti-freeze, which tends to coat copper in a thin film of "protectant". No AF, no film, maybe no bugs ...???

Thats kinda why I dont put AF in my loop...

I believe not only does it coat the silver tubes (rendering them useless) the AF can also be broken down by bacteria (ie the bacteria are usin AF as food so they can mulitply!)

Agreed to above about the antifreeze. I always wondered if they might find this as an energy source. just distilled/deionized water and silver. It's the most simplistic and clean looking method.

keep it simple...tygon silver with distilled water...you can't go wrong and don't need anything else
it's worth its wait in....well, in silver :)

Has anyone investigated to what extent using Tygon silver increases the conductivity of the water?

If you want silver tubing, then Tygon silver makes a lot of sense.

Otherwise, I cannot for the life of me figure out why people have an issue with a drop of algaecide with a few drops of iodine thrown in for good measure. Instead I read over and over of threads where people have algae and growth issues. And I have my doubts that just using a little bit of silver tubing or a piece of silver wire is going to ensure a growth-free loop as I haven't seen any concrete proof that this is effective.

The rad is made of metal and over time it would also increase the conductivity of the water.

Silver tubes block out the light that algae use for photosynthesis.
Silver kills bacteria (kinda proven in both literature and in laboratory tests)

Does iodine kill algae (we dont know)
Yes it kills bacteria but how much iodine do you need? (some say 1 drop some say 10 drops)

I know voigits says iodine and algacide is cheap stuff like 2 bucks a bottle.
But then again silver tubes cost only slightly more than regular Tygon R3603.

I have used tygon silver for a long time now, thus far I havent changed the water and its all crystal clear... (voigits you know Ive had these silver tubes for ages)

Back