• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning Sync All Cores off to make CPU run cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maddmaxx212

Registered
I got a 5960x which runs pretty hot at 4.0ghz 1.18v. At 100% load I get heat dispersion that can vary by 10C (hottest hitting around 70+C and the coolest being around 60C).
So I got 3 cores that will run almost 5-10C hotter than the coolest cores. According to what I've read online I got shafted on the silicon lottery.

I am thinking about turning off sync all cores in Asus x99 Pro Bios and putting cpu ratio down to 35 for the hottest 3 cores.

I've never done this before and I don't know if it will affect the stability of the system. My guess is that the 3 cores that are hitting the highest temp are increasing the temp for the rest of the cores.

I'm wondering if I reduce the ratios for the three cores and bring its speed down, if it would actually help keep the rest of the cores cooler. With this technique if I would be able to increase the other cores ratio a bit higher and turn my voltage up to maybe get faster speed for other cores by sacrificing 3 core speeds.

I could just turn of hyper-threading and up the voltage and try to aim for 4.5ghz. But I use the computer for gaming and also 3D rendering. So I'm trying to find a way to up the speed and keep the temps down for a bad copy of the 5960 I got.

A 10c spread sounds ok to me. Some will just run cooler/warmer. If you were able to slow down the three cores, the entire die temperature would go down. However, you aren't going to gain any tangible longevity and you will be making the processor quite a bit slower, especially considering you are using multithreaded applications.

We have similar processors (I have the 6-core version) and the same cooler. I'm running slightly faster at 4.2 GHz, and any more speed or voltage causes the temperature to spiral out of control. We are both limited by cooling.

4.0 Ghz is good enough for gaming and rendering. I think I'm getting obsessed with tweaking.

Back