• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Twin 30watt Comair's, one 51watt PS...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HiProfile

I know it sounds like a no-brainer, but I'm going to have a remote radiator setup with my watercooling rig, and I happen to have a few Comair Rotron Diplomat blowers (5" wide, >220cfm IIRC) and a 12v/4.3amp PS.

I'm curious about running them at 6v each (in series). I know a device draws more amps at lower voltage, but I'm wondering if they would be below the 51watts the PS can provide.

I'm also thinking about slapping an old 300w ATX PSU down there instead, but I don't have any way to load the 3.3/5v rail. I'm not looking for a perfect 12v, just wondering if that would end up killing the PSU, or worse - starting a fire or something.

I'd appreciate any help, as the info I've taken from the forum doesn't fully answer these two questions. FYI this will be for a Q6600 with a FuZion, #1 goal is to take all that OC'd heat out of my bedroom, #2 remove the noise, #3 (really #1 now lol) to get a crazy OC if I can.

I don't really know what you are talking about but I can say this:

Power=voltage x current.

At lower voltage the device will draw more current, so the overall power would be similar, if not more because the motors are struggling.

To be on the safe side I would use a better PSU.

Do you mean connecting them to a 12V line in series to give them each 6V? That's bad, because you are adding even more strain by adding the internal resistance of the motors directly by putting them in series. Rather put them in parallel, this means that the resistance of the motors has less effect...

Last edited:
Back