• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two dead pelts in a row, are we doing something wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmybighands

Hi guys.

My brother bought a 80w pelt, a Maze4 block with cold plate, and a meanwell power supply from dangerden.

When we first got the pelt, we were so excited to see one in action we plugged it into a normal ATX power supply and held it in our hands. Sure enough, one side got cold and the other got hot (duh). Well, we ran to the other setup, put it all together and plugged the pelt into the meanwell power supply. We did not hold it in our hands this time (learned the lesson - MAN that was hot). When we touched the block, it was hot on BOTH sides. What tha? Unplugged it, and switched the + and - to double check. BOTH SIDES HOT AGAIN. Now it doesnt work at all, in fact, it got soooo hot that the + and - leads fell out of the pelt. :(

We figure we got a bum pelt, so now we order a 226w and plug it into the meanwell power supply. It was hot on BOTH sides again! Immediatly unplugged it and just to test things out, plugged it into a normal ATX PSU.... got nothing. No reaction at all. So we plugged it back onto the meanwell just to see.... and nothing happened again. This one is shot too.

Is it possible to burn up a pelt??? How can you wire this thing wrong? + to + and - to -!

WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG? A little help before we break another $30 pelt. :(

First to reply get a big 'ol bag 'o bagels!

Erm, yeah but is it REALLY burning up in a matter of 4 seconds while it's not being cooled? C'mon...

Use a AA battery to test to see which side is hot. Dont give it 12v without something cooling the hot side or it'll burn right up.

Timmybighands said:
Erm, yeah but is it REALLY burning up in a matter of 4 seconds while it's not being cooled? C'mon...

:rolleyes: youre telling me to c'mon when you dont have the common since to cool a pelt...espeially a 226w one

Oh please. Go crap somewhere else. I asked a VALID question and your being a jerk. Why cant people give good responses like BigNutz did.

Telling me c'mon in a sarcastic way in the sence that im stupid is asking a question? Read again please.

WOAH people, let's calm down! Don't get all worked up over a mis-understanding! That's both of you, Timmy and creepy. Please no more inflamitory posts. I will get a mod in here if I have to, and I suggest you guys delete your bad posts before one sees them on his own. Back to the topic at hand.

Timmy, you need to cool that pelt. If you feed it with 15.2 volts, it will generate a whopping 364.8 watts of heat. With 12v it will be less, but still alot. I could do the math on how much time you have, but depending on what type of solder was used in the construction, you can have from 100C to 200C until meltdown. If you want to find the coldside, hold it between your flat hands, and have someone touch it to the power supply for no longer than an instant

Thanks for the post squeakygeek. How is it possible for this to happen?

0.jpg

It doesnt look like he's cooling his hotside at all? So then, in your opinion, this one is in fact burned up then?

Its possible b/c the heat from the hotside transfers over to the cold size which will cause it to not get cold. As for the pic...Seems like it is put onto some sort of odd waterblock or hsf.

cool both sides when testing it, one heatsink will get hot, one will get cold, if don't cool it then it will burn up almost instantly.

It's like 350watt of heat in that small object.

arc welders use like 150 I think.

Yeah the pic is lacking the fan that's attached on to the heatsink (thus the force that is removing the excess heat). Just because you don't see one doesn't mean it's not there. The heat must go somewhere right?

also possible its just a huge block of metal with a high specific heat...
aka, you put 5000j into it, and it raises 1 deg..
perhaps theres no fan, and hes just running it for a few min to get a pic....
not really an important part... the important part is: the heat is going into that metal.... how it cools doesn't matter

impact said:
also possible its just a huge block of metal with a high specific heat...
aka, you put 5000j into it, and it raises 1 deg..
perhaps theres no fan, and hes just running it for a few min to get a pic....
not really an important part... the important part is: the heat is going into that metal.... how it cools doesn't matter

It's a heatsink. I've seen other pictures of it.

Back