• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

****ty Crunch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick2bad4u

Registered
I am using a ****ty laptop that I keep at my feet to crunch seti@home. I avg like 50 points a day. Is it even worth keeping up? Or am I just wasting my time?

Every little bit counts bro. I've got a P4 1.8Ghz crunchin too. I dunno how much it makes, but I let it crunch. Let her crunch away :)

That really depends on whether or not you think its worth the energy costs of running that laptop for the RAC you're getting in return. IMO though, I would sell the laptop and put that money towards an Intel Atom setup. It will probably draw less power, probably put out less heat, and it will produce at least five times the RAC that your laptop is producing.

$10 is better than nothing. An Atom dual-core motherboard combo is less then $90. :thup:

$10 is better than nothing. An Atom dual-core motherboard combo is less then $90. :thup:

Yeah, I took 2 minutes to build an atom system on newegg with the only atom 330 mobo, a 40gb WD hard drive, 1gb G.SKILL DDR2 667, and a 200w FSP psu and the total is $166.96 before shipping. Of course the cheapest mITX tower is $55, but you shave about $30 if you dare using the psu that comes with it.

Last edited:
Well, Newegg has only one atom cpu, and its integrated so its not swappable. I just typed atom motherboard because I'm lazy.

yea the lap top is 900 mhz. Itll sell for what? 10 bucks?

You'd be amazed, old lap tops retain a decent value for a while. Most likely because of the portability aspect (?).

Evilsizer had a Atom 230 running some time ago. I believe he reached 300+ RAC with that thing so definately better than any 900Mhz laptop or even any P3 or AMD XP...

I don't know. My old 2100+ at stock speeds put out ~260/day. I'm sure it wouldn't have taken much of an OC to push it up to 300 .. :)

Considering the wattage use of an OC XP system vs Atoms´s 40W for the complete box, I still think it´s a great solution. You could probably have 2 Atoms running drawing same amount of power as an OC XP system. The fastest XP CPU (stock speed) is the Barton 3200+. Runs 2.2Ghz with a consumption of 77W...Not including HD etc...

i just sold a peice of junk HP laptop (really slow 2.4 ghz P4, 512 ram)for 250 bucks on ebay so they definitely retain some value

well with current prices now your better off getting a Atom 330 setup.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121359
you only talking maybe another 4-8watts pull on the psu for the extra core. i dont have a kill-o-watt meter so i can say for sure. i do still plan to get one along with the pico-psu 90watt for getting readings. im sure that atom doesnt even come close to getting the cheap 250watts units to even get into there 65% eff area. they are prolly running close to 50% or lower my best guess. since even the pico-60watt is more then enough for powering a atom 330 setup.

Back