• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultimate Gaming Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Captain Newbie said:
Yeah, sure. When you can run x86 + DirectX + Windows games on those, please let me know.

You do realize you just contradicted yourself, right?

No, I was being silly about the cray supercomputer. It was a joke man. If you did have such a computer though, I doubt seriosuly you'd be too worried about not being able to run directx and the like. I also highly doubt you'd be missing Windows games too much. You may need grants to pay the electric bill, but you'd be having a blast! LOL

The deal with the dual core system was just coming back down to reality.

FX not X-2

Right, i cant be arsed readin all this forum but u lot seem to like buyin Athlon X-2s for gaming.

Even AMD say that if u wanna play games u wanna buy an FX series athlon 64.

Many games didnt like Pentium 4 HTs and dont like X-2s either

at the moment if u wanna play games the best u can u wanna buy a Athlon FX 57 or summat like that

so dont be an idiot and waste money on the wrong hardware

thats simply not true - new games like fear support multi-cpus, and my x2 3800+ @ 2.5ghz is more powerfull imo than my old 3700+ san diego at 2.8ghz...mainly because windows etc is on one core and my games on the the other or shared between the two....
saying an x2 isnt suitable for games is just wrong

bobthegamer said:
If you had no money limit, how would you build your ultamate gaming computer?

If money was no object I would buy the computer system they used to make The Lord Of the Rings trilogy. They were ranked 80th but now after upgrading, Now its a beast of a setup Sure you could buy the IBM Corp.'s Blue Gene/L, but why be a showoff. (when IBM Corp.'s Blue Gene/L is completed it will be a 130,000-processor system)

You will need the no money limit to pay the electrical bill and housing for this system, but it will not lag In Battlefield 2 :p

Silversinksam said:
If money was no object I would buy the computer system they used to make The Lord Of the Rings trilogy. They were ranked 80th but now after upgrading, Now its a beast of a setup Sure you could buy the IBM Corp.'s Blue Gene/L, but why be a showoff. (when IBM Corp.'s Blue Gene/L is completed it will be a 130,000-processor system)

You will need the no money limit to pay the electrical bill and housing for this system, but it will not lag In Battlefield 2 :p

I'd have 129,999 of them folding, and the other for gaming :p

Well Bite My Shiny Metal ***

Vrykyl said:
thats simply not true - new games like fear support multi-cpus, and my x2 3800+ @ 2.5ghz is more powerfull imo than my old 3700+ san diego at 2.8ghz...mainly because windows etc is on one core and my games on the the other or shared between the two....
saying an x2 isnt suitable for games is just wrong

ATHLON X-2s WERNT DESIGNED FOR GAMING AND TESTS HAVE SHOWN THAT THE FX-57 KICKS THE *** OF AN X-2 4800

X-2S R FOR MULTI TASKING AND NOT THE SINGLE TASK OF GAMES

Have you actually used one or read anything about x2's? i suggest you read this
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=418730
in the cpu section here and educate yourself ;) I have an x2 3800+ and i can tell you its a great chip for gaming.

*edit* also, your sig formatting needs an / to close them properly ;)

Last edited:
:D:D:D- Want more speed, ram, power. Dunno. I'd like to have some Raptors in RAID 0, but I heard data loss is a risk, which I have a lot of data. Maybe another 7800GTX:D. Kinda gettin' tired of my rig actually. Not enough games out:( to really challenge.

bobthegamer said:
well, about $7,300, let that be a limit

i was hoping to get some opinions on how to build it

my current dell (w/ upgrades) cam barely play UT2K4 on high res

Personally unless you hit the lottery or are incredibly rich for some reason I wouldn't spend that much on a comp. You can build a really good one for 1k-2k.

X-Dreamer, you do that again and I'll have you IP-Banned. don't try to start a flame war and when you look at the evidence, X2 will do quite a deal better. otherwise, sli would also be "only for multi tasking"

-1cem4n

Here is mine:

P4 660 overclocked to 4.6 GHz
1 GB Corsair XMS 2 5400UL ram overclocked to a nice 1.1 GHz (nice eh?)
Asus P5WD2 Premium
Wifi and wireless remote control
Dual Raptors to total roughly 72 GB
160 Gb thrid drive
160 GB automated backup drive with automatically sceduled backups
6.1 Surround Sound with huge subwoofer
Audigy X-fi
42 in Plasma HDTV screen
Cryo-cooling with liquid Nitro
Dual 7800GTX @ 600 mhz core with no ram overclocking

Heres the twist:
-I have that system save for the x-fi which is so far un-neccecary (I got audigy 2 zs)
-I have a liquid nitorgen system cooling for the whole system (but normally not attached)
I have liquid cooling when usual use.
-I want dual core Yonah @ 3.6 GHz. P4 can go up till and above 7 under nitro
but still lose in preformance (if boots windows at all at 7+) to a 3 GHz Yonah theoretically.

I also have a Samsung Syncmaster 930B moniter for Maya 6 editing (second best to apple 30 inch in specs but thats more then my plasma screen in cost :p ).

Sorry, I'll stop bragging now. :santa2: :santa: :santa2: :santa:

Something around $3000 should be more then enough to run BF2 at max settings. Grab a X2 4800+ or FX-57 and two 7800GTXs and your good for all settings on.

1700 actually that is the cost of the above system minus the monitors :)
I am good at searching good deals.

Funny thing, No lag in BF2 with the 128 bots mod in SP but B & W 2 lags on turning of high antialiasing and resolution. Weird.

darksparkz said:
Something around $3000 should be more then enough to run BF2 at max settings. Grab a X2 4800+ or FX-57 and two 7800GTXs and your good for all settings on.
I run BF2 maxed on my laptop. :shrug:

What about the other specs though. Two gigs on a Celeron won't make much of a difference....

------------------------------------------
Edit: I'm an idiot. Just remembered you have your specs in the sig :p

Haha, *******, I've built the ultimate Alienware.

$27,695.00 as low as $831/mo.*

:santa:

But, really, dual FX-57's w/ 2 7800GTX KO's in SLI, 1TB of storage, awesome PSU, kickass mobo, 4GB of ram (DDR2)..you know...the usual.

Back