• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra-D and UTT or TCCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rseven said:
Old Chinese proverb, "Biird in hand better than crap in bush." Stick with the tccd, it is a first rate chip that doesn't involve needing to live next door to the fire department. (UTT is fine but if you have quality ram why go chasing a rainbow that could be a mirage.)

In addition I have seen a very disturbing trend with A64 CPUs and high vdimm. QUITE a few are appearing to be dying over long periods of time. This is specific to the memory controller.

My understanding is that the memorycontroller isnt properly sheilded to take anything more than 2.9v. Any higher and you risk blowing it out.

Most guys useing UTT eventually kill their onboard controllers either completely or forcing them to run in single-channel

Thanks a lot guys. I will be using my TCCD at the start and seeing how it preforms. If it isnt up to par, i might get some UTT.

Quickly everyone...shut your thermal time bombs down before its too late!

And please feel free to send me those ticking time bombs, known by their code names of "VX", "SP"s, "Golds", "Blues" and "Reds" to me and I will dispose of them properly.

PM me for a shipping address... :)

Reefa_Madness said:
Quickly everyone...shut your thermal time bombs down before its too late!

And please feel free to send me those ticking time bombs, known by their code names of "VX", "SP"s, "Golds", "Blues" and "Reds" to me and I will dispose of them properly.

PM me for a shipping address... :)
And your old ram will never be lonely at Reefa's because he has more ram than the old lady in the shoe had kids! Just to show what kind of sport I am I will send you my classic collection of PC66 at no charge! :)

rseven said:
And your old ram will never be lonely at Reefa's because he has more ram than the old lady in the shoe had kids! Just to show what kind of sport I am I will send you my classic collection of PC66 at no charge! :)

Send it on...it won't be lonely, as I've probably got at least 20 sticks of that stuff. I keep it around to put in old PCs for my neighbors' kids to play games. Seems like everytime my employer upgrades I pick up a new batch of old pcs. They either give them away to employees or sell them cheap, for like $10 each. You should see my attic...

I got a healthy collection of 30 pin and 72 pin simms if ya interested. lol

Not a clue @ what speeds they run. I wasn't into puters enough in those days.

Even got a few cache sticks from some old pentium systems.

I wouldn't sell your TCCD. Infact, I'm selling my SPII to buy TCCD. I bought four sticks of SPII UTT and they ran between 245-265 at 2.5-2-2 timings. I kept the two that ran 260-265 and RMA'd the other two. Now I'm selling the the 260-265FSB sticks to buy TCCD. I found that the difference between 2.5-2-2 and 2-2-2 was negligible and the difference between 2.5-3-3 and 2-2-2 was about a 5% increase in bandwith using SisoftSandra on my intel chipset. So it appears the timings don't matter much on an intel system. So, I'd rather go TCCD and try to hit over 300. The performance of these UTT using the nforce4 with tight timings is much better.

I'd definitely keep the TCCD. You'll be better off in the long run, not having to pump a lot of volts through your ram. I was trying to decide between TCCD and UTT for a new build and I decided to go with the TCCD. I'm going with OCZ platinum revision 2, actually.

for a system being on 24/7 and for a gamer which do you think would make me happier? very nice UTTs or GSKILL PC4400 LEs(best TCCD i believe)? i have been hearing alot of ppl having problems on cold boot with UTT ex OCZ 4000vx

crb806 said:
for a system being on 24/7 and for a gamer which do you think would make me happier? very nice UTTs or GSKILL PC4400 LEs(best TCCD i believe)? i have been hearing alot of ppl having problems on cold boot with UTT ex OCZ 4000vx
If the system is going to be on 24/7, you should definitely go TCCD. Higher clocks, more stability, without a doubt TCCD.

crb806 said:

From my experience on a DFI NF4, I would stick with TCCD. With BH-5 after a month I started having massive stability problems. To be fair, there have been quite a few people who have had plenty of success with UTT, but I suppose the numbers are in favour of TCCD.

Bottom line is when the room temp drops (as summer approaches) so does temps on everything else. There will be a lot of unhappy campers using UTT in August :p.

Still, you don't NEED 270 or 265 or even 260, 2-2-2-5. My 3500+ maxes at 2760, so all I need is 251 mhz (251x11 or 306x9, 166 divider). I seen the benchmarks and bottom line is 260x10 or 265x10 ain't gonna beat this. 270x10 might come close if one could even bench reliably there, but you're still pushing a lotta volts through the sticks.

With A64s, size counts for a lot. That's why all these comparisons of low latency/UTT versus highHTT/TCCD need to be done at the same clock on the CPU. Ideal comparisons are just not possible at present with the dividers/multis available.

Back