• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Understanding the X58 chipset Asus P6T BIOS Settings for the i7 Nehalem CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't know if its a HDD issue but a RAID 01 is pretty fast and redundant. I don't think raid 5 would be useful since your writing a bunch of data. Not sure a SSD would do a ton to help since you are writing a lot (they are sick with reading though especially on webservers). Also much more ram would help, disabling page file if you didn't need it. If you're rocking 32bit you may want to consider 12GB going with some sort of Ram Drive software and setting up 9GB to run as the page file.

Third and FINAL reply. (ultrasonic slowdowns)

This is a response to a response from IMOG, though it is starting to go in esoteric tangential directions to the otherwise stellar thread much further up of this amazing website. Nevertheless I have to correct a groundless false accusation.

I'm on limited time, so please pardon my cherry picking. There are a couple items I feel should be addressed here for the sake of technical accuracy. Much of the input is interesting and may very well be accurate. The parts I've had time to look at and discuss here are NOT accurate.

VPs are business men. Businessmen are notorious for misunderstanding and misquoting technical facts. I'd put more stock in it if it came from an engineer with statistics and reproducible methods.

While vibration can effect drive performance, a 40% impact on IO/sec due to vibration is demonstrably false on all but the most extreme cases. In an extreme case, sure. In typical setups this cannot be reproduced reliably.

A single allegory is not proof of fact. If you get those results EVERY time, you are doing something very wrong.

WRONG! I did nothing very wrong, and had to use those drives. I AM a storage software engineer, and furthermore I stated a head VP from GIGABYTE in Asia personally showed me the solution to the riddle of 100% RELIABLY missing I/Os per second when trying to use 2, 3, or 4 drives in one machine vs using only any one of the Raptor drives at a time. 1 in 10 PCs worldwide use a GIGABYTE motherboard according their corp website. I was amused that he solved the problem in 30 seconds that I spent a week trying to overcome. It indicates that a few people know about this rare thing. Or maybe only myself, a couple other engineers, him, and the few people HERE that read my FACTUAL WORDS. I have no idea if the VP was purely businessman or half and half engineer, but he was a hardware god to me in those 30 seconds.

You may be an experienced moderator IMOG but you did not read my words. I further explained how I tested the drives (ioMeter, and the disk model used, WD740ADFD, and the fact that they were rapid minimal random seeks). It was always precisely either 0% slowdown or close to 40%. Nothing much in between. It was a top of the line 4 bay rackmount 1U steel chassis. With the drives loose on cardboard, floating free outside the chassis the problem also went away. It was when they were clicked into the steel chassis frame, with more than one active, that the 40% drop in IOs appeared.

It is a truthful fact. A genuine fact that I deemed in my gracious generosity to share here. Just because you never heard of ultrasonic noise head interference before has no bearing on its validity.

LOW VOLUME ULTRASONIC VIBRATION FROM OTHER VOICE COIL HEAD SEEKS OF DRIVES WITHIN THE SAME CHASSIS CAUSE HEADS TO MISLAND THAT ARE ACTIVELY SEEKING ON ADJACENT DRIVES.

These mislands tricked the firmware to kick into a alternative head seek algorithm.

I even posted a hilarious video of a guy at Sun inducing low frequency vibration onto raid platters and causing catastrophic recalibration effects of over half a second downtime duration.

I hope other models, and other models firmware have the bug fixed. I made no claim to other drives or other chassis frames.

I even explained that I explored EMI, radio, backend power, and other forces when trying to eliminate the 40% slowdown.

I spend thousands of dollars of the clients’ time over many days trying to get the drives up to full theoretical head seek speed. I did achieve for them over a gigabyte per second IO in non rackmount and 4 SATA controller chips back in 2004. 1.07 Gb/s reading data, and 1.05 Gb/s writing actually.

I was flabbergasted when I was showed the top secret trick that it was ULTRASONIC NOISE that causes the drives to start landing more than one track out of range on the head drop in the voice coil head seek pulse, and that the firmware then goes into a SAFETY seek mode, a mode 40% slower head seeks for a very long time.

I have no reason to make up stories. EVERYTHING I POSTED WAS 100% FACTUAL, .

RAM :

Did you honestly think I don't understand elements of RAM allocation under Vista? All modern operating systems do a wide variety of anticipatory read ahead and aggressive holding of resources into cached RAM. VISTA has issues such as overall disk footprint bloat that they ALSO try to hold in RAM, but the fact is simple the OS is much larger and offers a wide range of various slowdowns vs various flavors of XP. I am not here to debate VISTA. Wikipedia had a list of over 100 features, or more, people noticed missing in Vista compared to XP : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_removed_from_Windows_Vista and there are other lists somewhere regarding unwanted features or bugs.

Of course with VISTA , you have 4 versions regarding 4 upper caps : 3.12GB version, Vista 64 Home Basic is 8GB, Home Premium 16 GB, and unlimited GB (128GB) for Business, Enterprise and Ultimate.

But It is true in VISTA first release, you would generally observe 1.5 gigabytes generally typically less available and the OS would prefer handy and not swapped to disk. If an OS can be almost entirely swapped to disk except a few DMA buffers for I/O cards that service page faults for the memory manager, the drivers and kernel routines used for the I/O card, leaving under a megabyte in real RAM, that DOES NOT MEAN SUCH AN OS takes up only one megabyte of total real RAM !!!! I did not look at wired physical memory , nor wired contiguous pages, but I would bet they too are used dramatically more than an XP footprint uses. The windows patch I showed you in my post was one that showed how 800 megabytes were being uselessly map-squandered by one application, which I named. This would have caused a crash for sections of code in that app that do not handle low memory conditions properly, because it brought that app closer to a 2 gigabyte ceiling.

Excuse my sloppy writing above. Anyways, this concludes my contributive posts to this web site for a long while, unless I fail to find another higher caliber web site.

Goodbye.

You may be an experienced moderator IMOG but you did not read my words. I further explained how I tested the drives (ioMeter, and the disk model used, WD740ADFD, and the fact that they were rapid minimal random seeks). It was always precisely either 0% slowdown or close to 40%. Nothing much in between. It was a top of the line 4 bay rackmount 1U steel chassis. With the drives loose on cardboard, floating free outside the chassis the problem also went away. It was when they were clicked into the steel chassis frame, with more than one active, that the 40% drop in IOs appeared.

While it might be in the same chassis, is it mounted on Rubber pads? Do those even help at all? If you have floating cardboard outside the case was the drives on the same piece or separate pieces?

Also what type of impact would it have on a Raid 0 or Raid 1 array inside the same case?

While there is a huge drop in IO's what type of impact does it really have on a desktop system? I mean here we really don't run servers per say so what would really the impact be on our systems?

Let me refer you to exhibit A, my rank. "n00b Moderator". I am by no means an experienced moderator. So at least we are clear on that.

Other than that... We don't disagree really. I thought you were implying your 40% io/sec statistic was somehow relevant to the systems any of us enthusiasts may be running and it could effect our normal PC systems. Your talking about something entirely different however. I'll trust that the story is correct, and just falls under my "extreme case" label I mentioned in my response. Regardless of anything else, its a good read... Secret society of people in the know (National Treasure!), elaborate issue alleviated by cardboard (Macguyver!), and lots of semi-irrelevant numbers (the movie 23!)! I may not be buying, but perhaps hollywood might? :eh?:

The rest, theres so much there to digest I don't want to try. I was speaking specifically and casually, but it seems thats not exactly possible. I wasn't trying to pick on you, but I was trying to draw out some things which were a lil hard to wrap my head around is all.

I finally got to test the i7 doing something I actually bought it for: Making a 2 hour MPEG DVD file from about 27 GB of uncompressed camcorder video DV footage:

20 minutes. So that's ultimately what a 4 GHz i7 can give you for video rendering.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

I just want to add how important it may be to add "head room."

Maybe add a little more voltage than is needed or maybe drop the overclock just a bit from the max stable overclock. Just to make sure when you push the system that it would remain stable.

I managed to crash the system by doing things while complex video rendering was going on...

this is why 24hr prime95 should be run. i know some people will argue for 8 or 4hr...i like 24hr to take away all doubt.

I crashed it again. I am not stable. :(

I'll see if 1.425 volts up from [1.4000] will make it. I Prime95 tested this thing for 13 hours so I don't know where this came from...

Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Hm... The video render is going through this time (even with me messing with the system on the side).

So 1.425 volts is what it needed. My other stuff is still on Auto though... Maybe I shouldn't have bumped it as much as 0.025 volts...

Edit: I tried really hard to crash it but 1.425 is stable.

Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
Yeah its nice and speedy. I know I was doing some video stuff over the weekend as well converting mkv's to wmv's to play through the X360. Gotta say its nice to have a good quad core at work for this, though it was using only 3 to 3 1/2 of the 4 cores doing the process.

What temps are you pushing and is HT on C627627?

I did not have the temperature sensors on when I was doing this but when I was testing it for stability originally, the temperatures were tolerable for the i7, next time I do this, I'll be sure to check.

and

Note that it may not be overall the best idea to disable Hyperthreading so I left it Enabled.

Total OC Noobcake- How can I get 3.6Ghz on my i7 920

So I just bought all my components a few days ago and have spent 3 days trying to learn everything I can about overclocking. I feel like I am no closer to knowing what I am doing.

BCLK, VCORE, etc... There are so many terms and things you can change. AHHH!!!

I'm not interested in overclocking as much as possible. So many people are getting 4GHz, 3.9GHz, 3.8GHz probably with better cooling than I have accessible. I'm looking to get a 3.6GHz ROCK solid, no more. I've been running Prime95 and core temp on my current machine getting an idea of how they work. After watching excellent vids from Hard OCP I think I know what I can expect to be good temps.

My machine, which I haven't even built yet:

ASUS P6T (Non Deluxe)
i7 920 stock fan (will buy Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366 RT if it will fit in case)
Corsair 3x2GB DDR3 1600MHz
BFG Nvidia 9600 GT
Seagate Sata 1TB
Windows 7 RC 64bit
Good case got from a friend. 4 additional 120 fans I think

So gentleman (and occasional lady) my question is two fold.

1) Has anyone found a great consolidated resource for all these technical terms- their functions and effect.

2) WTH should I set every frigging setting to get my 3.6GHz running Prime95 24/7 to the end of time? Total Noobcake here so being detailed is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

P.S. Will the X58 Chip set ever be able to accept more than 1 1600 MHz DIMM per channel?!

Partial help to at least one question:

CPU Ratio Setting [20]

BCLK Frequency [180]

= 3600 MHz

and when you get your Thermalright installed, be sure to apply the thermal paste in a horizontal line, not too much, like so, note the position of the yellow triangle:

Attachments

• ArcticSilver-i7.jpg
    ArcticSilver-i7.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,979
Partial help to at least one question:

CPU Ratio Setting [20]

BCLK Frequency [180]

= 3600 MHz

and when you get your Thermalright installed, be sure to apply the thermal paste in a horizontal line, not too much, like so, note the position of the yellow triangle:

Thanks c627627! I came up with those numbers as well, I am more concerned about voltage settings. I know DRAM should not be over the 1.65 (1.66V) for this motherboard. But in terms of all other voltage values, do I simply up them in baby step increments until it's stable? What values am I changing? And how high should I not exceed?

I am thinking 75C max is an okay 24/7 100% load value from prime95. Sound correct?

Perhaps many of the values on Auto would be be sufficient for 3.6 GHz with Thermalright heatsink and proper application of thermal paste.

Take a look at how I left many of them on Auto in post#1. Perhaps CPU Voltage [1.40000] could be lowered quite a bit for your lower overclock. If you assemble everything correctly, unless you're really unlucky with the chip, you should not have too many problems with 3.6 GHz.

Opinions vary on the temp, mine is that Thermalright should take care of things and that you can go higher than 75, hit 80 if need be, under maximum stress.

Perhaps many of the values on Auto would be be sufficient for 3.6 GHz with Thermalright heatsink and proper application of thermal paste.

Take a look at how I left many of them on Auto in post#1. Perhaps CPU Voltage [1.40000] could be lowered quite a bit for your lower overclock. If you assemble everything correctly, unless you're really unlucky with the chip, you should not have too many problems with 3.6 GHz.

Opinions vary on the temp, mine is that Thermalright should take care of things and that you can go higher than 75, hit 80 if need be, under maximum stress.

Thanks! I'll build the machine tomorrow, and I will probably have more questions then. Right now however, I do not have my thermalight. Ill go to 3Ghz on stock and see if it passes 80C. For the thermalight, what paste should I use? Artic Silver was a recurring name when I was doing my research. Any good?

What's this BCLK thingy? If I have my BCLK at 200Mhz, it runs at 800Mhz (due to 2:8 ratio) which equates to DDR3-1600. My question is, what is the lowest ratio? Can we run 1:3 meaning at 200Mhz, the actual RAM speed is 600Mhz so it's DDR3-1200?

What's this BCLK thingy?
BCLK thingy times multiplier equals MegaHurts speed.

For the BIOS in this thread, ratios are automatic.
DRAM Frequency ratios after that are automatically adjusted and can be directly chosen.
UCLK Frequency is set to twice the DRAM Frequency.
QPI Link Data Rate may be set to the lowest setting.

Ill go to 3Ghz on stock and see if it passes 80C.
That's a negative. Stock heatsink on many systems can barely keep up with stock speeds at maximum stress. Wait for Thermalright to overclock and note that with it you may go toward 4 GHz whereas 3.6 you might even accomplish with a cheaper aftermarket heatsink.

For the thermalright, what paste should I use? Arctic Silver was a recurring name when I was doing my research. Any good?
Yes. It's good. Shin-Etsu is also very good. Compare prices and don't get killed on shipping ;).

Back