• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undervolting the fx9370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattyRach

Registered
So the story goes like this...

In amd overdrive i can set the voltage to 1.35 leaving the clock speeds at 4.4(stock), I run the stability test it runs smooth at around 33c

Now the problem, when i try and do this in the bios(asrock 990 extreme9)
and then try a stability it jumps up to like 40c and does a death climb until it gets to 60c when i get scared and shut the computer down. can someone tell me what the hell im doing wrong, it would solve many headaches

(side problem in the HWmonitor the CPUTIN will keep climbing to around 70-75c and its not the north bridge because ive felt it, do i trust that number every other temp is around 30-40?)

What you are likely NOT seeing when running whatever stability test you are running, is that the cpu is throttling back and thus staying fairly cool when using AMD Overdrive. Most of us that are overclockers in general do not use AMD Overdrive. There are a few places where it is useful when trying to set world records but in general we do not use AOD. We normally Disable C1/E, Cool N Quiet, C6 and set Windows Power Manager to Performance Mode so that the CPU does not throttle up and down and give somewhat misleading information in CPUz and HWMonitor.

For us to have an idea of what is actually happening, you need to get all on the same page...or we just have to give a WAG at it.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

You can upload more than 3 images by repeatedly use BROWSE for file to upload. Images will appear in the post in the order they are uploaded unless you physically arrange the images differently.

Additionally, what exactly is in the Case as well as how many fans in the case will be helpful. Here's a guide on how to post the pics.
how to attach photos.PNG

Ok so i thought i put in the eufi bios 1.35 but according to this it didnt stick

what is that cptin that thing makes me nervous! im using a kracken x60 to cool this thing

do you guys have experience with this uefi stuff?

Attachments

• prime95.PNG
    prime95.PNG
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,033
Okay so i dont even know what i did but i think its running at what i want? i set the voltage to 1.35 and it seems to be staying there in cpu-z but i lost the board temps in HWmonitor? if this is truly working ill be happy, i just opend amd over drive, didnt use it to undervolt, i also ran prime95 when i screencapped the

Attachments

• NEWCAP.PNG
    NEWCAP.PNG
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,886
  • amidoingitright.PNG
    amidoingitright.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 2,671
  • mem.PNG
    mem.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,779
IF you are happy, I am sure we are just ecstatic.
RGone...

do things look like they should? im new to this stuff so all the help is very apreciated!

Heres another capture from a few min of prime95, the CPUTIN just keeps rising and it makes me concerned do you have any idea what that sensor is sensing?

Attachments

• newcapa.PNG
    newcapa.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,909
1. You keep going back to AOD (AMD overdrive) and we don't use that to do normal overclocking. So you go off on your tangent and the page gets blurry.

2. 74c CPUTIN is the CPU socket temps and should be <72c.
40c Core/Package temp is okay.

RGone...

The most recent temps you are seeing are with strictly the bios settings. How can i lower the socket temps because they have reached 90c and that is frightening!

The most recent temps you are seeing are with strictly the bios settings. How can i lower the socket temps because they have reached 90c and that is frightening!
90c is way too hot, knowing more about the pc would be helpful. What case, how many fans etc. I don't recall seeing that large of a difference between the Cpu socket temp ie "CPUTIN" and the package/core temps. If you have a cutout in the motherboard tray you can mount a fan on the backside of the motherboard with double sided tape, like this.

From the v-core picture (the last one) it seems as if you have cool and quiet enabled. You should be disabling this feature. And disable C1E support as well.

Then, look for a setting called load line calibration or LLC for short. You want this either disabled or at one of the 2 lowest settings.

Your temps are coming from the load voltage of roughly 1.4v. And if your cpu socket temp is that high, you may want to look into cooling the area at the base of your cooler.

What cooler are you using any ways?

kracken x60 Shrimp

Ah thanks for that. A decent cooler, but up to the task of 220w out of the box? Eeek. Not so sure here.

Perhaps a fan right on the VRM package with a little air flow hitting that cpu socket may help.

I cannot safely comment your use of AMD overdrive without a chance of a bashing.....

Also to see socket and core temps that far off always makes me wonder. how is it possibly the socket temps are 40c hotter than the cores?

Well what I gathered from watching and mounting and playing around is that there is a lie. In most cases the core temps should be hotter especially when spiked from an idle to load.

But without a re-seat and some cooling near the socket, it's hard to diagnose form my keyboard.

I'd say the package temp is a lie. 40c at max core and 70+ socket temps don't add up.

ŞɧʁɨmǷβʁɨmЄ™

Ah thanks for that. A decent cooler, but up to the task of 220w out of the box? Eeek. Not so sure here.

Perhaps a fan right on the VRM package with a little air flow hitting that cpu socket may help.

I cannot safely comment your use of AMD overdrive without a chance of a bashing.....

Also to see socket and core temps that far off always makes me wonder. how is it possibly the socket temps are 40c hotter than the cores?

Well what I gathered from watching and mounting and playing around is that there is a lie. In most cases the core temps should be hotter especially when spiked from an idle to load.

But without a re-seat and some cooling near the socket, it's hard to diagnose form my keyboard.

I'd say the package temp is a lie. 40c at max core and 70+ socket temps don't add up.

ŞɧʁɨmǷβʁɨmЄ™

Hey thanks for responding!

I did what people are saying and i disabled the LLC and my temps rose so fast and so high, When i have it set at 75% - 100% i seem to get the best temps.
the c1e and the cool and quiet thing i cant find in the uefi bios thing.

I ended up taking off the back cover and blowing a fan on the back of the cpu socket. so im gunna cut a hole in the side of the case and install a fan.

another side question though, when running prime95 my 8th core keeps getting errors. is that a buggy program or a ****ty cpu core?

once it failed i did open AOD (just to see what it said i did no undervolting with it) and it showed the 8th core not being used in prime95, but it seemed to change based on me doing other activities. do i have to worry about a possible RMA?

Again thanks for all the help guys!!!

This LLC **** is confusing, when i put it at 100% i get the best temps and my voltages stay the lowest? but when i disable it my temps go to lunar heights... i thought the LLC did the exact opposite is my bios messed up

The LLC on automatic is going to bump voltage to unknown heights.

BUT we got this deal where your only running 7 cores during Prime and 8 cores in use seems to get you those higher temps.

ALSO

The stock voltage should be around 1.45v maybe more?. If you undervolt, you may find errors with Prime95.

My conclusion is that the cooling isn't doing it's job properly causing the need to undervolt. Fact of the matter is that if you can't reset cmos and run a stock cpu at full load without any adjustments, you need to put your cooling in check first and foremost.

While I remember it before I post the rest here.

Asrock CPU LLC is backwards from Asus. 100% Asrock CPU LLC is like Asus 10% or low LLC. So when you use the least CPU LLC on the Asrock board you get the best results. Or maybe medium but not 100%. If you DISABLE LLC on an FX processor the Cpu Voltage takes as big of a jump as the VRMs will allow while they try to catch up.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740816&highlight=FX-9370

You can take that link above to this discussion >> AMD 9370 issues with Crosshair Formula V - Z
His full specs are given including the cooling.

Pics of what is and has been done by many to drop the socket temps including pics.

His P-States for that CPU are shown as well as "johan45's" P-states for his FX-9370.

P-states indicate the voltages that AMD says the cpu should tell the motherboar to use
when at X cpu speed. Johan45's P-States are some of the lowest we have seen on an
FX-9370 that has come into the AMD forum sections.

One user came into the forum and we fooled around with his FX-9370 for about a day and a half and he sent his back knowing it would take way more voltage and cooling than he was willing to deal with when put into overclock mode like most of us do with ALL the cores on for performance.

These way over-clocked, by default, Vishera cores are hot and need plenty of power. Once the power is there, then most generally so is the HEAT.

There are roughly 7 threads in the forum about the FX-9370 that I found by searching the forum.
RGone...ster.

Never use AMD Overdrive to OC. It goes stupid anything past 1.4 volts. Uninstall it and just use the BIOS to OC.

That watercooler isnt the best thing to use in this situation so be prepared for high fan speeds and temps while using it.

I would go into the bios and set voltage a 1.5 volts and a CPU freq at 4.5 Ghz. Using Prime95 start testing what different LLC options do to your voltage.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm interested in finding the p states of my chip where does one find that? As Of now I'm not concerned about overclocking, what this really is all about is seeing how low I can get the voltages and keep it running at stock speeds so far its been running at like 1.33ish with that plc at 100percent and I haven't bald yet

Back