• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uneven CPU core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Finken

When I took my Alpha PAL8045 off a few weeks ago I noticed that the core didn't really get very good contact. More then half of the core had probably only touched the HSF through thermal paste.

I thought I had just seated it a little badly and was going to use an old 60mm cooper HSF for a short while. Now as I took it off to install a prommie I noticed the same thing had happened again.

Now with the prommie it's still the same, it has only really good contact with one half of the core...

What can I do about this?

So is it the CPU or the mobo that is off tilt? Either way I would take it back to where you bought it. And if its the CPU, thats really weird. The mobo I might be able to see that happening. It could even be your cooling system. I would say start experimenting with whats off. Once you got it figured out, take it back. Or if your not having any problems with the way it is, you may just not need to worry about it.

mine was kinda like this (only the edges touched, not the center) so i lapped the crap out of it and now it all touches (i got a 1-2°c drop in temps :) )
so if you dont mind voiding warranties then go ahead and lap the crap out of it

~Magick_Man~

magick_man said:
mine was kinda like this (only the edges touched, not the center) so i lapped the crap out of it and now it all touches (i got a 1-2°c drop in temps :) )
so if you dont mind voiding warranties then go ahead and lap the crap out of it

~Magick_Man~

Seeing in your sig that you have a P4; did u lap the core or the heatspreader?

Hehe, I don't want to lap a TBred :)
But I might check out the mobo and see if it's the CPU or the mobo...
It also depends on what you consider a problem :)
It's running fine, but I'm positive I could OC a lot more if I would get cooling across all of the core!
And not being able to OC to the max is a big problem! :)

On the subject of P4 IHS lapping, ofcause you have to lap your P4! :)

aaah i didnt notice u were doing it on a tbred, well this is where i leave
BTW nice avatar since ur main rig is amd :p

~Magick_Man~

whoa...having an uneven cpu core..must really suck..but i guess u should try and return ur cpu if u can

Back